No more recycling--> Environment and enriching our soil and surrounding area

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2020, 11:19 AM
Default No more recycling--> Environment and enriching our soil and surrounding area

I have noticed for over a year now, that my property has no earthworms aerating the soil. I guess that it is full of toxic chemicals from when it was developed. We used to live on a historical farm where there had been no chemicals for hundreds of years. Its earth was full of worms. Does anyone have a compost in their back yard to use around their shrubs or a raised area where they can grow herbs, organic vegies and plants. Does anyone know of an area where we can bring downed branches, organic matter to compost, where it is turned into mulch that we can then harvest for our yards? The other question is what kind of seed do you put in bird feeders down here? Last fall I heard a familiar song from a bird and looked out and there was a robin. What a pleasant surprise from such a little critter! Have a great day to each!
Old 10-11-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
I have noticed for over a year now, that my property has no earthworms aerating the soil. I guess that it is full of toxic chemicals from when it was developed. We used to live on a historical farm where there had been no chemicals for hundreds of years. Its earth was full of worms. Does anyone have a compost in their back yard to use around their shrubs or a raised area where they can grow herbs, organic vegies and plants. Does anyone know of an area where we can bring downed branches, organic matter to compost, where it is turned into mulch that we can then harvest for our yards? The other question is what kind of seed do you put in bird feeders down here? Last fall I heard a familiar song from a bird and looked out and there was a robin. What a pleasant surprise from such a little critter! Have a great day to each!
Found this on the internet:
Earthworms naturally thrive in soil that is beneficial to their health. These creatures prefer cool, moist soil. According to Nanette Londeree of the Marin Rose Society, earthworms are made up of about 80 percent water by weight and lose about 15 percent of that water daily, so they need moist soil. Earthworms breathe through their skin, which means they prefer loose, loamy soil. These worms also need soil rich in organic material and nitrogen.

Our soil is not cool, or moist, or loamy. It is sandy. Water runs through it quickly. This is not a good soil for worms.

And it is NOT full of toxic chemicals.

You may want to start your own mulch pile, and then use it in raised beds or pots.

Bird feeders attract palm rats and other pests.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I use Black Cow in my bedS twice a year. Also use pine straw and or pine bark much. I have lots of earthworms in my beds.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

the soil is too sandy in TV to support earthworms in the lawn areas....if you maintain your 'beds' you'll get some

all the topsoil that built up over the years when it was farm land was hauled away

we've had homes in FL since 1995...I've never seen a Robin down here...even though they are supposed to be season visitors
Old 10-11-2020, 06:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

I have plenty of earthworms in the ground against the house where we have a few shrubs and a couple of potted plants. It's all covered with cedar bark and separated from the lawn with decorative manufactured stone blocks. I have some worms in the garden bed as well, it's not raised, but it is covered with cedar bark.

I use no fertilizers, pesticides, or weedkillers in either part of our property.

The lawn guy does use antkiller in a liquid fertilizer to treat our lawn but the leaching into the garden is minimal because of barriers (we have 160-year-old bricks for the barrier in the front garden).

I can't say for sure but I'm thinking the cedar bark is the key. It has a naturally waxy surface that keeps the soil beneath it moist, and serves as insulation against excessive heat or cold.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
the soil is too sandy in TV to support earthworms in the lawn areas....if you maintain your 'beds' you'll get some

all the topsoil that built up over the years when it was farm land was hauled away

we've had homes in FL since 1995...I've never seen a Robin down here...even though they are supposed to be season visitors
I see lots of them depending on the time of year. I've even seen them in flocks which I never saw up North.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I have plenty of earthworms in the ground against the house where we have a few shrubs and a couple of potted plants. It's all covered with cedar bark and separated from the lawn with decorative manufactured stone blocks. I have some worms in the garden bed as well, it's not raised, but it is covered with cedar bark.

I use no fertilizers, pesticides, or weedkillers in either part of our property.

The lawn guy does use antkiller in a liquid fertilizer to treat our lawn but the leaching into the garden is minimal because of barriers (we have 160-year-old bricks for the barrier in the front garden).

I can't say for sure but I'm thinking the cedar bark is the key. It has a naturally waxy surface that keeps the soil beneath it moist, and serves as insulation against excessive heat or cold.
We do. Use pesticides, weedkillers and fertilizer.

We also think the earth is getting warmer and the smoke is polluting the air.

We do save our money, our leftovers and we reuse and repurpose.

And we try not to virtue signal.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:44 AM

Went natural 4 years ago. Have lots of worms, put out bird seed in the winter and have tons of jays, cardinals, mockingbirds, doves, hawks, owls, bluebirds and hummingbirds occasionally. Never had a rat, mouse or any other rodent in 10 yrs being here. Only those rodents with the curly bushy tail and the ones with no tails and long ears. Occasionally find a large roach in the garage but figure the snakes that transit the flower beds, frogs and lizards take care of them.

Depending on the birds you want to attract is the kind of seed you would use but mostly black oil sunflower, shelled peanuts and whole shell peanuts. Only use pine straw for mulch and pull a few weeds every two weeks. If you want veggies best to use pots or planter boxes. Hope that helps a little and good luck, it is a difficult place to grow some things.
Closed Thread

Tags
area, compost, organic, chemicals, bird

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.