Noise pollution

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2020, 09:18 PM

Love windchimes!
However it does depend on the type you buy.
In a gentle wind they're wonderful.
Plus if it's blowing like heck, you're forewarned.
Take them down to protect them or use a rubber band to stop any clanging.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellerjzz View Post
I have severe anxiety and thru calm me. I have nice chimes that are perfectly tuned
Our chimes in Michigan would play a tune if the wind was blowing in a certain direction. It was the first five notes of the song. I never could remember the name of the song, but I loved the chimes.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:50 PM
Default Noises I miss!

Growing up in the USVI, St. Thomas and St. John in particular, I miss the sounds of the ocean in the bay below my house, the coqui frogs and crickets at night, the flock of green parakeets that woke me up in the morning whose colors blended in so well with the palms and flamboyant trees when in bloom.
Yes, I had windchimes, too.
Soft and gentle as the breeze.
The rustling leaves.
Bannanaquits and hummingbirds at my feeding stations or just bowls of water left on railings for water or a bird bath. I've rescued baby hummingbirds, hawks and all kinds of critters.
Including bright green baby iguanas, hermit crabs, land crabs.
I'm not used to living in a closed system environment with central air and heat.
Always lived with windows and doors open, fresh breeze blowing thru my home and knowing all my neighbors.
Very different here
Old 01-07-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Light pollution!
Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I appreciate and accept your opinion on this. But, it really is a big deal to me. It's not small stuff. I would not want to be forced to listen to someone else's wind chimes for the rest of my life, in my own home. If I couldn't resolve it another way, I would probably sell my house and move.
You are very kind. Thinking about moving never occured to me. After a genuinely beautiful conversation nicely pointing out our point of view about the windchimes the next step would resemble The Stugots Scene on The Sopranos minus the boat unless we were on the water. Our motto: We Don't Have Heart Attacks, We Give Them! Move, NEVER!

Last edited by Nucky; 01-07-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
Maybe we should get rid of water fountains! the water sounds are annoying also 😱😎
Don't forget about Sprinkler systems! Very loud and they make everything wet!
Old 01-21-2020, 07:54 PM
Thumbs down

The only difference between wind chimes and a barking dog is that the dog eventually gets tired and stops barking.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. C. Rider View Post
The only difference between wind chimes and a barking dog is that the dog eventually gets tired and stops barking.
Wind chimes don't poop.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidexsidex2 View Post
Maybe just letting the neighbor know it is so annoying for you. Wind chimes to the owner can be like a crying baby, a barking dog to the owners. Or planes near an airport, train on a track. See what I mean? I would hope the neighbor is not doing it on purpose.
Mallory Hill
Or HD’s owner near with straight pipes, or landscapers with mufflers baffles removed, or obnoxious Diesel trucks with no mufflers. All noise pollution. Why do HD owners keep rapping the throttles’? Cause the pOS won’t idle. Yep, I know it will hurt feelings HDs owners that think they Are hell’s angels.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromAroundHere View Post
Wind chimes don't poop.
They do in you’re ears if you can’t stand the noise. Same effect.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I appreciate and accept your opinion on this. But, it really is a big deal to me. It's not small stuff. I would not want to be forced to listen to someone else's wind chimes for the rest of my life, in my own home. If I couldn't resolve it another way, I would probably sell my house and move.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:57 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisher1969 View Post
Don't forget about Sprinkler systems! Very loud and they make everything wet!
This has to stop. It makes me have to pee.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:42 AM

Some people seem to find the sound of wind chimes soothing and others find it irritating. I'm in the latter group.

But here is the perplexing thing about most people and their wind chimes. Why do they hang them outside where they can't hear them, but their neighbors can (when outside)?

If you want to hear wind chimes, hang them inside your house and turn on an oscillating fan any time you want to hear them, or leave the fan on all the time if you wish.

That way, you'll get to hear what you want to hear and your neighbors won't be bothered by something they DON'T want to hear.

Yes, we all have to put up with the sound of lawnmowers and loud vehicles, but that's unavoidable. It goes with the territory. But noise that is created simply for the sake of making noise, with no regard as to whether your neighbors like it or not, IS avoidable and should be avoided if you're a good neighbor.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. C. Rider View Post
Yes, we all have to put up with the sound of lawnmowers and loud vehicles, but that's unavoidable. It goes with the territory. But noise that is created simply for the sake of making noise, with no regard as to whether your neighbors like it or not, IS avoidable and should be avoided if you're a good neighbor.
Why are loud vehicles unavoidable? Isn't that noise "created simply for the sake of making noise"?
Old 01-23-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromAroundHere View Post
Why are loud vehicles unavoidable? Isn't that noise "created simply for the sake of making noise"?
No, vehicle noise is NOT created simply for the sake of making noise. Noise is a byproduct of internal combustion engines. Engines actually provide needed services. Wind chimes don't.

I'm in favor of stricter enforcement of noise pollution laws with vehicles too.

When you think about it, wind chimes are no different than someone blasting their stereo too loud and disturbing the nearby neighbors. The only real difference is that usually the stereo blasting is limited to a few hours while wind chimes make noise 24/7 if there is a little breeze blowing.
Closed Thread

Tags
wind, chimes, noise, pollution, sell

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.