Noise from turnpike

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
That could help a lot though the view of a big ole honkin' wall isn't anything to brag about either.
Says most of us with a CYV
Old 09-22-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN & JOSIE View Post
We lived the majority of our lives in Baltimore and had a home on a main thoroughfare. We were on a service road and were off the main road by maybe 200 feet. The road was a 24/7 active street. When we moved to a country atmosphere we had a hard time sleeping as it was too dark and too quiet. We really got used to the noise and the life that the city offered. We may be strange, or not the norm, but we would not have a problem being near more activity and life sounds.
Funny! We lived in DC for 15 yrs before retiring this April to TV. Would visit my parents on the North Fork of Long Island and not be able to sleep- darn cicadas at nite and birds chirping at 4am. Love the sound of pickleball & woman leading the aerobic swim class at the rec center across the street - both after 7:30 am. And I do love the sound of the train going up 301 as it crosses 42 (live across the street from Mulberry Grove rec center).
Old 09-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarron01 View Post
........I do love the sound of the train going up 301 as it crosses 42 (live across the street from Mulberry Grove rec center).
Agree.....the sound of a train off in the far distance can be very comforting.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

The only sound I like is the sound of silence.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:14 PM

Thanks for all the great responses. Many varying points of view that I wouldn't have considred. That's the great thing about TOTV, lots of varying views,opinions and backrounds. Bye for now . Ken
Old 09-23-2019, 06:58 AM
Default train train train....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post

I’ve sat on the lanai at night in the summer and heard the trains roll through in Wildwood and found the sound almost comforting. Hearing a low flying plane going overhead is an intoxicating sound to my strangely formed mind. I guess I’ve a few wires crossed.
I too like the sound of a passing train IN THE DISTANCE!!
Old 09-23-2019, 07:01 AM
Default Turnpike Noise

At least the turnpike noise might make you forget about the quarry blasting, and living next to a federal prison.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankeny View Post
At least the turnpike noise might make you forget about the quarry blasting, and living next to a federal prison.
Can you/have you heard or seen either?
Old 09-23-2019, 08:08 AM

We bought a house in Taylor villas and we aren’t too concerned about the noise as we grew up on Long Island in NY and noise and traffic were factors everywhere except the beach! We were sitting on the lanai the other night and yes, you can hear the traffic a little bit but to us, it kind of sounds like ocean waves when they hit the shore. Like so many others have said here, it really is a matter of personal opinion and what you’ve been used to in the past. For us, it was not a dealbreaker and we love being so close to a beautiful dog park and soon, a shopping center!
Old 09-23-2019, 09:01 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankeny View Post
When are you people going to give up on the quarry and prison, no one down her really cares about them, re-sales are generating huge profits for those selling to move into another new home down here and they are selling new homes as fast as they can build them. One salesman told me that this is the only place where used homes are selling for more than equal new homes. Why, because they are ready to move into. Two years ago my neighbor bought a Woodside for $470,000, put in pavers, landscaping, and an enclosed lanai and it sold the first day for $640,000 and it's not on a golf course, that gives you an idea of what is happening down here.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:33 AM

We're in Lynnhaven also. You're right on point.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
When are you people going to give up on the quarry and prison, no one down her really cares about them, re-sales are generating huge profits for those selling to move into another new home down here and they are selling new homes as fast as they can build them. One salesman told me that this is the only place where used homes are selling for more than equal new homes. Why, because they are ready to move into. Two years ago my neighbor bought a Woodside for $470,000, put in pavers, landscaping, and an enclosed lanai and it sold the first day for $640,000 and it's not on a golf course, that gives you an idea of what is happening down here.
Bears emphasis!!
Old 09-23-2019, 10:34 AM
Default Turnpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Having grown up on Air Force bases and listening to jet fighters take off at all hours and then living near train tracks a substantial part of my adult life it’s hard for me to objectively consider the turnpike noise level either loud or noticeable. My mental filters kick in quickly with background noise to allow me to ignore it. That’s why I asked the question in the video.

I’ve sat on the lanai at night in the summer and heard the trains roll through in Wildwood and found the sound almost comforting. Hearing a low flying plane going overhead is an intoxicating sound to my strangely formed mind. I guess I’ve a few wires crossed.
Gotta agree with Don. My dad was USAAC then USAF. Grandpa worked for Union Pacific. Never missed an Air Show growing up and we went everywhere by train.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Trees do almost nothing to mitigate road noise. You would have to have about a hundred feet of dense evergreen trees to begin to see any difference. I used to be on a planning board and these issues came up occasionally when builders wanted to build near highways.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mciccolella View Post
Trees do almost nothing to mitigate road noise. You would have to have about a hundred feet of dense evergreen trees to begin to see any difference. I used to be on a planning board and these issues came up occasionally when builders wanted to build near highways.
Correct. Sound is transmitted by air pressure. You need a solid, dense wall to reduce noise transmission. Using trees to block noise is like expecting your screened lanai to block out the rain.
Closed Thread

Tags
turnpike, noise, great, input, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.