Noise from turnpike

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2019, 02:02 PM
Default Turnpike Noise

Like Goldwingnut, I too also grew up on an Air Force Base and often heard loud sporadic bursts of noise on the flight line from high performance aircraft spooling up engines or using reverse thrusters on landing. I also lived for awhile on the Ohio River with train traffic passing by several times a day on the opposite side. In both cases I got used to it. The commonality of those noises? They weren't constant!! That is not the case for those new residents of Linden and Monarch Grove whose backyards face the southbound lanes of the turnpike! Line of sight, some of the Lanais look to be less than 300 feet from the traffic!! Elsewhere in Florida, where residential areas are adjacent to high speed freeways, noise abatement walls routinely provide both visual privacy and noise suppression from traffic. If there are, in fact, no plans to erect a noise abatement wall along the areas in question, that speaks volumes about the priorities of the 3rd generation Villages Developer as he promotes "America's Friendliest Hometown".
Old 09-23-2019, 03:26 PM

You can hear some noise from the turnpike when the wind is blowing from that direction. Otherwise the noise is unnoticeable.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

If you stop and listen, suspect you can hear traffic noise most places in the Villages.

For example, homes along 466A are exposed to much higher noise levels than those next to the Turnpike. No problem finding buyers for that area.

The brain eventually cancels the background noise out as it does if you have a grandfather clock.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:56 PM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankeny View Post
At least the turnpike noise might make you forget about the quarry blasting, and living next to a federal prison.
Well, once a month there is a blast from the quarry. What about the folks living along active fault lines resulting in real earthquakes? Hmmm, a federal prison nearby. What does that have to do with anything? I don't see how the prison is interfering with any of our lives here in the Southern Oaks of the villages. Highway noise? What about any people living near JFK airport? Near O'hare? Near LAX? Its fairly soothing compared to jet takeoff's plus I miss the evening trains going near my home in rural New England.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I find traffic drone noise to be very fatiguing and irritating. Hubby feels as I do. We would not ever consider living near a major roadway with constant traffic noise created from high speed vehicular traffic. There is no deal on this planet that would entice me to live near the Turnpike.
what village do you live in that doesn't have the noise? We are close to 42 and, on a quiet morning, the noise is very noticeable. We also have the train by 301 which can be heard occasionally and it doesn't bother us at all. We lived in a town in CA that had trains running through it that were VERY loud. We lived there for 12 years and really never got used to the freight trains, other trains were not as annoying.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:20 AM

I had a high school teacher who lived under one of the O'Hare runways. 3 of 4 years I was in one of his english classes. He was very goofy and hard of hearing and these conditions seem to worsen thru the 4 years I knew him.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDuo View Post
I had a high school teacher who lived under one of the O'Hare runways. 3 of 4 years I was in one of his english classes. He was very goofy and hard of hearing and these conditions seem to worsen thru the 4 years I knew him.
Under a runway?
Old 09-24-2019, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
When are you people going to give up on the quarry and prison, no one down her really cares about them, re-sales are generating huge profits for those selling to move into another new home down here and they are selling new homes as fast as they can build them. One salesman told me that this is the only place where used homes are selling for more than equal new homes. Why, because they are ready to move into. Two years ago my neighbor bought a Woodside for $470,000, put in pavers, landscaping, and an enclosed lanai and it sold the first day for $640,000 and it's not on a golf course, that gives you an idea of what is happening down here.
I am not disagreeing with your post but I did want to point out one thing. For whatever reason, there are not too many Woodsides. It has a nice layout with the extra bedroom and kitchen arrangement (we are in a Gardenia).
Old 09-24-2019, 12:05 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishJW View Post
I am not disagreeing with your post but I did want to point out one thing. For whatever reason, there are not too many Woodsides. It has a nice layout with the extra bedroom and kitchen arrangement (we are in a Gardenia).
There are lots of Woodsides south of 44, the 4 bed 3 bath home is a good seller, we have several friends living in them. North of 44 not so many but again, very popular down here.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Um. We don't have any runways in TV.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:13 PM

Years and years ago a real estate agent in Los Angeles likened the noise from the freeway adjacent to a property I was looking at to a babbling brook. Perhaps if we look at it that way (listen to it?) it can be a major selling point.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueorange View Post
Years and years ago a real estate agent in Los Angeles likened the noise from the freeway adjacent to a property I was looking at to a babbling brook. Perhaps if we look at it that way (listen to it?) it can be a major selling point.
That is so funny! Reminds me of my agent looking at sun yellow walls and telling me they are not in fact yellow.

But as a young child I lived near a railway line. I was lulled to sleep each night with the trains rumbling as they’re passing. I still love that sound.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:25 PM

We just moved into Linden Isles our house is by the walking bridge and we can see the semis going by on the turnpike. Being retired Air Force and living in base housing the whole career the noice of the turnpike is nothing to us compared to all types of military aircraft taking off, especially fighters on alert and scrambling on take off.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Goofy and homeless.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2019, 04:52 PM
Default Turnpike noise

Thought that if a residential area is close to the turnpike or main highway that those sound barrier walls were to be put up. Not sure just mentioning an option.
Closed Thread

Tags
turnpike, noise, great, input, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.