Non Lightning Ground Rods

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Veteran member
Default Non Lightning Ground Rods

I just found out that TV does not install a "driven ground" for the panel box. They are "bonding" the reinforcement rods in the foundation and using this for the panel box ground. The electrician told me it is acceptable in Sumter County. The rods are about 6 inches off the ground, inside the concrete. A good ground would be 25 ohms or less. I did not know concrete was a good conductor. In the Mid Atlantic states there needs to be a seperate ground rod at least 8 foot driven. I do see the need to bond & ground the reinforcement rod, but they need to also install a seperate driven in the "Lightning Capital of the US". Heading to Home Depot to install my own.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Sage

Found to be a waste of time/effort/money with the makeup of the soil here. Connection from the ground rod to perimeter grid of re-bar much more effective.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Sage

Interesting, but then if you install lightning rods which are supposed to connect to ground rods how would that work??
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Veteran member
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Found to be a waste of time/effort/money with the makeup of the soil here. Connection from the ground rod to perimeter grid of re-bar much more effective.
If that is the case, why do they drive ground rods for lightning protection? Cost of ground rod, rod connector and # 4 copper, less than $30?

Last edited by 2 Oldcrabs; 01-07-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I find that really odd to be an acceptable grounding point. Properly placed reinforcing rebar in concrete are placed not to contact ground.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Sage

To be truly effective, the driven ground rod needs to contact bedrock (we have none), ground water, or at minimum damp soil (possibly) testing in Florida has shown that the rod in contact with reenforcing steel to be most effective. This came from a licensed electrician ( like hen's teeth around here). Personally I would love to see a true megger test to see how really effective the ground system really is.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Sage

I think this article covers a lot of info
Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 PM

Kitty litter that says 'clumping' on the bag is made of bentonite.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Platinum member

The Ufer rod is used frequently here in Florida. Florida's soils generally do not hold moisture very well, but concrete does and this is where the Ufer ground rod is placed. Google "Ufer ground" or "Ufer rod" to find out more.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Veteran member
Default THe incident

Neighbor installed an Ham Radio antenna disguised as a flag pole. He used it before installing some type of equipment that induced a stray voltage into the ground. At least 14 homes around him tripped AFCI breakers, except for the one home that had installed his own driven ground. The homes closest to the antenna tripped the most breakers. The home with the driven ground was the 2nd closes to the antenna. It appears to me the driven ground was effective! We have no problem with neighbor and the flag pole looks like any other flag pole. With the homes being struck by lighting and the resulting house fires I will spend about $30 and install an extra ground.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
I will spend about $30 and install an extra ground.
It certainly won't hurt and the more the merrier!

PS. There is a much longer more scientific thread on here about rods if you do a search.
In reality, they're different!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Veteran member
Default Lightning rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
Neighbor installed an Ham Radio antenna disguised as a flag pole. He used it before installing some type of equipment that induced a stray voltage into the ground. At least 14 homes around him tripped AFCI breakers, except for the one home that had installed his own driven ground. The homes closest to the antenna tripped the most breakers. The home with the driven ground was the 2nd closes to the antenna. It appears to me the driven ground was effective! We have no problem with neighbor and the flag pole looks like any other flag pole. With the homes being struck by lighting and the resulting house fires I will spend about $30 and install an extra ground.
So are you saying my $1,500 budget for a lighting rod is a bit much?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I unfortunately have to admit and ask someone to talk to me like I am a fourth grader because while I understand what a ground is my eyes glaze up after that point is made.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Veteran member
Default Ground rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
So are you saying my $1,500 budget for a lighting rod is a bit much?
The ground rod I am talking about is for the electrical panel box. If you are having Lightning Protection installed on your roof, they will install several ground rods where the ground wire comes down from the roof. Just make sure they "meggar" the rods for 25ohms or less.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM

Please give me a moment to chime in here.

As far as code compliance, bonding to the electrical ground is all that is needed, however, here is the problem I have found.

1) When they come out to build out your house, the supplier takes the rebar and drops it in the yard. I have even seen it where it comes in rusted.

2) The rebar is tied together with metal twist-ties (note: rust on rust) limited to no continuity through out the house.

If you are on the marion side, they do use ground rods instead of rebar grounding. The problem with that is they use, "galvanized steel" rods. Which in about 10 years are about rusted out due to soil deterioration.

My solution is to install (in addition to rebar grounding) a COPPER CLAD stainless steel ground rod that is 5/8X8ft (with a #4 or #6 wire). Please make sure you locate your property for underground utilities.

If you do decide to get lightning protection. Make sure your installer grounds to the electrical, phone, and cable grounds. As if he did not, you have actually made your lightning protection system worst as you created more different electrical potentials. I also have to agree with the post above me that 25 OHMs or less is great grounding, but national code writers UL and NFPA do not state a actual number when it comes to OHMs to ground. Getting 25 OHMs to ground in the Villages (except where the lightning cable connects to the electric) is almost not possible unless living by the water or having great clay soil. I have been on projects where we had to sink ground rods up to 100ft to obtain 50 OHM's to ground.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.