Non Lightning Ground Rods

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
So are you saying my $1,500 budget for a lighting rod is a bit much?
In no way. Installing a multi-ground rod system will protect you from a lightning strike (if installed correctly). Installing extra grounding will help ground out your meter and a big plus for surge protection devices inside the home.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum member

Here is a link to the Ufer grounding system. It is commonly used in Floria or other sandy soil areas...
The Ufer Ground
Old 01-25-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
The ground rod I am talking about is for the electrical panel box. If you are having Lightning Protection installed on your roof, they will install several ground rods where the ground wire comes down from the roof. Just make sure they "meggar" the rods for 25ohms or less.
A "megger" test is a term used for megohm meter test. It is used to measure the effectiveness of insulation when exposed to a high voltage, typically 500 volts. the 25 ohms or less resistance check would be done with a regular continuity tester or if looking for really low resistance a micro ohm meter.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Veteran member
Default Ground rods

South of CR466a seems to have clay about 3' deep. 10 homes installed 5/8 x 8' copper clad ground rods. Neighbor is using Ham Radio and no one has tripped a breaker. TV grounding may meet the NEC code for the area, but it is not very effective!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:03 PM

The ufer grounding system is for electrical safety to prevent electrical shock - and is not designed to handle an indirect and certainly not a direct lightning strike. If lightning is your concern then you should have a lightning protection system installed by a UL listed installer. Door-to-door sales installers are not UL listed so you will have no idea if the system was installed to NFPA780, the national standard on lightning. Listed installers will drive a sufficient number of ground rods to the proper depth - usually 8 ft. copper clad rods (not rebar) 2 ft below grade beyond the drip line from the roof. In some cases they may need to go as deep as 30 ft. - but thats the installers problem - not yours.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
The ufer grounding system is for electrical safety to prevent electrical shock - and is not designed to handle an indirect and certainly not a direct lightning strike. If lightning is your concern then you should have a lightning protection system installed by a UL listed installer. Door-to-door sales installers are not UL listed so you will have no idea if the system was installed to NFPA780, the national standard on lightning. Listed installers will drive a sufficient number of ground rods to the proper depth - usually 8 ft. copper clad rods (not rebar) 2 ft below grade beyond the drip line from the roof. In some cases they may need to go as deep as 30 ft. - but thats the installers problem - not yours.
This man knows what he is talking about and he does not sell lightning protection and does not recommend anyone unless they are a UL listed installer..

He and his partner speak to groups here and he is an expert.

He has a column in the POA newsletter.

You can count on him for honest and helpful answers.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This man knows what he is talking about and he does not sell lightning protection and does not recommend anyone unless they are a UL listed installer..

He and his partner speak to groups here and he is an expert.

He has a column in the POA newsletter.

You can count on him for honest and helpful answers.
...what Gracie said
Old 04-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Sage

We have a ham radio next door and breakers were tripping all day long. Finally, after reading on here that others installed grounding rods, we suggested that to the electrical company and were "poopooed" initially but eventually they actually put in a grounding rod. No more breakers breaking! That said, I have been told separately that it really doesn't do anything for lightening and you would have to put in a lot of them and very deep. And it isn't worth it.
I really do not understand anything about electricity and I don't want to.; I have to understand far too many other things. My brain's hard drive has just so much space and I try to prioritize what I really do need to know. So I am just repeating what I have been told and what I know works for our breakers issue.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.