This is not intended to be a "negative" forum and it isn't

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Sage
Default Re: This is not intended to be a "negative" forum and it isn't

TOTV is a terrific site .. I have learned so much .. it is addictive. I can't stay away from the Forum. People who post on TV seem to be overwhelmingly pleased by the lifestyle and amenities, and the friendliness of the community. I cannot imagine anyone perceiving this site as negative.

If Village "management" perceive it as negative, it is because people are honestly expressing their opinions re mixed messages they sometime get from Village real estate representatives, and perhaps information that should have been disclosed to them by the Villages re noise, tracks, etc. Hey, it will help sharpen up their honest communication, to know we are sharing information.

Sure, people complain about any expenses rising, most of us are on fixed incomes. Frogs in the toilet? We have bears in our backyard.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Veteran member

When you offer a Forum and open it up to everyone than we have to expect some members to post unpopular opinions. People can and should post how they feel about the subject. We can't expect everyone to feel the same way about a particular thread. I enjoy TOTV and have learned so much more about TV and am looking forward to learning more as more members join the fold. Satisfaction level 9.5.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 08-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Veteran member

LG, great post. :bigthumbsup: It hits the nail exactly on the head. The lifestyle that the Villiages offers is second to none. How people deal with it is up to them. I think TOTV does a great service to current homeowners and prospective homeowners. I would have loved to have known some of the things posted in here before we moved here. It would have made our transition easier. There are issues here and to hide them under a blanket of roses, happy happy music, and a daily paper that reads like a Camp Grenada daily list of games and fun is unrealistic. There is a new generation moving here with different expectations and a much different experience base. However, at the end of the day, The Villages offers a product that is pretty much unmatched anywhere else.

I am glad that we have this TOTV forum.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 08-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Taltarzac

Talking about frogs and snakes in the toilet might seem a bit negative to the Villages' developers. Sounds like Moses is getting a little upset with the Egyptians?

TOTV is a very useful resource for getting information about the Villages even if you hear about various problems in the Villages like speed traps, excessive summer heat, frogs and snakes in the toilet, very warm pools, STDs, noisy trains, etc.

It is not like Moses has to exhort God to send in some of the plagues to convince his people's keepers to let his people go.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:13 PM

I have been here a little over a month. At first I was very homesick and missed everything about Pennsylvania, however I truly think TOTV has tremendously helped me. Every time I login I read a post that either educates me or makes me laugh out loud!
Old 08-15-2007, 05:30 PM

Talk Host, good topic, and very well stated. I agree. I wish this forum had been available before I moved here, as it would have answered so many questions I had, and also I think I would have bought a different house.
But I'm happy where I am, and love living in TV.

The few "negative" topics are constructive and helpful!

Satisfaction rating: 9.5
Old 08-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Veteran member

Talk Host, my rating is a 9.8 and I know the developer and staff will pass along negative comments about TOTV only because they don't control it!

I have said MANY times that I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else. I LOVE the Villages. That being said, I am very unhappy about how things are handled here. The developer turns a blind eye to any difficulty and would like nothing better than to advertise the millionaire lifestyle in paradise! None of that advertising is true. We are real people living in a real world. The developer, current developer, is not Mr. Schwartz who designed this community for the people. The current family members are simply in it for the money.

From what I have heard from friends who have lived in the historic side for MANY years, Mr. Schwartz was a wonderful and caring man who wanted ALL the comments, good and bad. If he thought your problem should be his, he handled it. Sad to say that his family don't run the business as he did.

Just as Sam Walton was a buy American guy, the owners now of Wal-Mart sell almost all goods made in third world countries that are of a lesser quality, ensuring the lower price.

Mr. Schwartz would probably not be happy to see how thing are today but that being said, his concept lives and TV is a wonderful place to live.....in spite of the developer.

We don't need a place to vent! This is not venting. As Jan said, this is reality and the developer could do himself a favor by reading the threads on this site and attempt to solve the issues instead of burying them.

'nuf said by me. Closing I say, come one and come all. You won't find a better community anywhere in this United States. Freedom of Speech is costly and I indend to use my share of that freedom!!! :bigthumbsup:
Old 08-15-2007, 07:10 PM

Well said everyone! I agree with all the comments and even though I've only been to TV once, for four days, I love it already and can't wait to sell our house and move down. And TOTV has really helped develop my feelings and excitement for our future life in TV. I am also addicted to TOTV and think that even in the short time I've been a member I've seen the site grow and develop into a healthy forum for the exchange of ideas, and yes, even complaints, few that they are. To think that TV has no problems is unrealistic and naive. But this site brings people and ideas together and works to improve life for all of us. That is the kind of thinking that built America and long may it live. And if the developers don't see the good in that for all the community, then they should be ashamed.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Founder

I appreciate all of your comments. I am really troubled when I hear somebody say this is a negative forum. I hosted radio and television talk shows for years and years. Quite often I would get a call from a local elected official demanding that I discontinue discussion of a certain topic. They would give the impression that somehow I was subservient to them. Well, of course, all that did was recommit me to the topic.

I am aware that there is a group of homeowners in the Villages that have formed an organization that thrives on developer bashing. That's not us. That's not what we want.

My partners and I had hoped that the Villages would join with us and use Talk of The Villages to help disseminate information of interest to us all. Whenever I have invited Villages departments to participate, they have politely declined saying that they have their own media department and will not be needing us. How unfortunate that is. This is a place where we can tell people in a flash of a second when there are changes in schedules, matters of vital interest or how to further enhance their Villages lifestyle.

Oh well. Our invitation to them is open. Anytime we can be of help of any kind, we are ready, willing and able.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Platinum member

Frangyomory, If you read about the colored development of TV, you'll find that Harold Schwartz, while a kind and caring person, struggled with the property from the early 70's. And for more than 10 years he barely made end meet. It really wasn't until the 80's when his son Gary Morse brought in the same architectural firm that created Universal Studios at Walt Disney World, that TV as we know it, had a theme and master plan for development. So if you look more kindly upon Harold Schwartz, keep in mind that TV is really the creation of his children and grandchildren for better or worse. --George
Old 08-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

George, I admire Mr. Schwartz for his desire to do right by those who bought into the concept. I do not admire the way the decendents have run the organization and their holier than thou attitude once they get a signed contract. A lot of changed would have to be made before I change my opinion of the family. Sorry, but that is my reality. As I said, I love TV. Sadly, the family knows that we all love it here and therefore, they give little attention to our concerns.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frangyomory
George, I admire Mr. Schwartz for his desire to do right by those who bought into the concept. I do not admire the way the descendent's have run the organization and their holier than thou attitude once they get a signed contract. A lot of changed would have to be made before I change my opinion of the family. Sorry, but that is my reality. As I said, I love TV. Sadly, the family knows that we all love it here and therefore, they give little attention to our concerns.

I agree with what you have all said. My wife and I come to TOTV to learn as much as we can so that we don't end up in situations like Jan's. The amount of things I have learned in the past few weeks will, make our eventual purchase and move much easier and smarter. Unfortunately we have too much time to study here at TOTV but, it will be time well spent.
As for the management show us things could be better by helping those owners who are tormented by the trains.
Larry & Bev
Wanabee future TVer
Old 08-16-2007, 03:39 AM

Jan you are doing a great job.....thank goodness you know how to do it and are willing to take the time to help all of us by managing this board.

In the very beginning I did get a sense that several folks were just generically whining about nothing and everyone was being sooooooo politically correctly nice to them. Now we have several feisty folks on the board who "jokingly" stop the baloney. I don't think anyone will ever call this board negative again.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:26 AM

This board isn't negative but some of it's users are. They were negative folks back where they came from and unfortunately brought their attitudes with them when they moved to The Villages. They ain't gonna change so just ignore them and maybe they will go away.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:56 PM

Jan -

This forum is, what it is. Leave it alone. We love this site. We come to meet our friends, exchange ideas, wonder "What was he thinking??" and generally leave with a feeling of family! Thank you sooo much for this site. Negative... yup Positive, yup It's life. I may not agree with Kar Guy and Donna (I love you both), but then they may be saying " What was DarbyDuff thinking??" And isn't it fun!!!!!! ;D

. I'm additive...How about you guys????????? Can I hear an AMEN!!!!!!!???????????

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.