Not much of interest here so Let's get it going!

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Talking Oh yeah---

While on vacation in the Tampa area, in our 45' motorhome, we needed some work done so we came to Alliance Coach in Wildwood. They were behind and said it would take approx. 3 weeks, but they had a private campground, so we said OK. After the first week, we were looking for something to do, and they said check out the Villages. We set up a LSV, found the house we wanted, sold the m/h, and bought the house...great move cause we're still here....call us FROGS!!!!!!!! No more snow!!!!!

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 07-08-2018, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We had been spending the winters in Reddington Shores on the Gulf. We loved being on the water, but it was very transient with people coming and going a week at a time. On the way home to NH we stopped to visit friends here in TV. We came off 75 and drove through Wildwood and I said to my husband "you have to be kidding". We turned onto 466 and drove up to B.V. and into TV and he said "this is where we are going to live". We found a home, went back and snowbirded for a couple of years, then sold up and now live full time in TV. No regrets.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-09-2018, 08:57 AM

I spent most of my teaching career at a small elementary school on the NJ shore. With a staff of approximately 40-50 people, five had moved to TV upon retirement and raved about it. I didn't think it was a coincidence but rather a pretty strong indication that something was worth a look! When it finally became my turn to look for a retirement nest, I spent a week on Marco Island, Naples, Cape Coral, Sanibel and Sarasota....."pretending" I was retired and living there....looking for the feel and the events that would fill my days once I was truly retired. While each has its strong points, I have to say none had enough for me to do! Along comes my visit to TV with the perfect combination of a safe, well maintained, beautiful place to live and enough choices of activities to keep me entertained and active. I bid on a CYV on my third day here....lost out to another buyer..their deal fell through a month later...snatched that beautiful CYV up from my NJ home and followed that yellow brick road right to TV. Baby, when it's meant to be, it's meant to be! So thankful!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

In 2000 we were not yet ready to retire but saw the add on the golf channel. The lifestyle visit sounded fun and inexpensive. :-). We knew this was the place for us. Meantime we moved to another state and would rent here often during February. In 2008 we put a deposit on a designer home but could not sell our home in Atlanta. Finally in 2012 we were renting and said, “just do it”. Many buy the first visit. I guess it took us awhile.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Platinum member

We moved to Tampa and lived there for 17 years.
I always knew we needed a “Plan B” when we were ready to retire.

I took my husband up to T.V. when still in my forties.
The first time only Spanish Springs was built.
The second time LSL had just been finished.
I remember standing and watching all the golf carts going by and we were just in awe.

After our Son got married we were finally ready to move.
We had looked at other 55+ and it was the same 1 pool, 1 clubhouse, and nothing going on.

I told my husband we needed to check out T.V. again.

It was February 2013 and we were at LSL watching everyone go by with smiles and energy all around us.
We came back on Good Friday and bought our house.

We absolutely love The Villages.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Sage

the short version
I retired from teaching in NJ but continued to coach golf. I was paired up with a 40 year old female golf coach who told me her father retired someplace in Florida with 50 golf courses and they are all for free.

fast forward

I have a place in Hilton Head. Relatives were staying with me and when they left I googled free golf in Florida. It's was a short drive and instead of a day trip, stayed for a week. I was hooked.

Last edited by tomwed; 07-09-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

I first heard about TV from friends living in TV back in 1995. I was living in Melbourne, FL then, so I knew they were not telling the truth about the heat and humidity. I decided not to live there then - and still have no wish to do so. We are not outdoor people or social butterflies anyway although we do love Florida winters. If we should spend winters in Florida, it would be somewhere along the coast. Finally we enjoy living in age-mixed communities.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

We moved to Smithville, MO from St. Louis in Aug. 2012 and hated the winters all the years we were in the Midwest. We saw a segment on The Golf Channel in 2014 about The Villages and the next day my wife booked a LSV.

Now mind you, we had owned a golf course lot in Bella Vista, AR for 8 years and were going to build our dream retirement home there; we had looked at many, many home plans, had it site planned on the lot and even had some trees removed.

We drove down and several times the wife made the statement that we were still going to build the home in AR. We turned off 301 onto 466 and made our way toward Morse, admiring the beauty of The Villages, especially the golf courses. Before we even made it to Morse, my wife turned to me and said "we're selling the lot and moving here".

After returning home after our visit, we found our home online, bought it and the furniture and closed on it Thanksgiving week of 2014. My wife had spent 34 yrs. in Law Enforcement and decided to retire 2/28/15 and we moved her down the next day. After a week here, I went back to Smithville to sell the home (it took 2 months) and came down full time in May, 2015.

And the rest is history...………. We miss being close to the kids and grandkids but they enjoy coming down here to visit The Villages and doing everything there is to do throughout central Florida.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,078 Times in 2,745 Posts

We were still in our mid 40's and had never heard of the Villages when some good friends invited us to their new home in the Villages. We were very impressed with how nice the place was, but we were young it was a place for old people. Over the years we visited our friends a few more times, each time growing more fond of the place. Then our friends offered us a week at their beautiful home, and we had sooooo much fun. During our vacation, we realized that we were quickly becoming old people and could not believe how much activity was available for the residents. After lots of research, we finally decided to rent for a month and make a decision about weather or not we would invest our retirement in the Villages. After a few days, we were finally sold. We looked and looked at homes and only found one that we really liked, so we bought it. Almost 15 years after our first visit to the Villages, we are now proud owners of a beautiful home that we have had for 3 years. And yes, we are now officially old, and living the lifestyle!
Old 07-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Come on - there are a lot more good stories out there! Enjoy reading them all......
Old 07-10-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
the short version
I retired from teaching in NJ but continued to coach golf. I was paired up with a 40 year old female golf coach who told me her father retired someplace in Florida with 50 golf courses and they are all for free.
Enough about you, tell us more about the golf coach!
Old 07-10-2018, 03:46 PM

About seven or eight years ago I began seeing ads for The Villages on television. They ran ads showing "old people" walking off the golf course. I told my wife that I would never want to live there.

I couple of years later I retired and continued doing accreditation surveys of health care facilities a couple of times a month to keep me occupied. I was asked to lead a team survey of an outpatient surgery center in "Lady Lake" (wherever that was). My wife came along so that we could look for a place to rent in Florida during the winter months. (I had previously done a survey in Tavares and liked Mt Dora.) We stayed at the Hampton Inn for the survey and asked at at the desk for a good place to eat. They suggested going to Lake Sumter Landing. After completing the accreditation survey we decided to check on rentals in The Villages. We stopped at the sales office in Lake Sumter and asked if they handled rentals. They said "sure" then they gave us some free kool aid and pulled out a pocket watch on a chain.

It gets a little fuzzy then but the rest of the story is the same as everyone else's on this board. Next thing we knew we owned a house. :-)

Last edited by skyking; 07-10-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
About seven or eight years ago I began seeing ads for The Villages on television. They ran ads showing "old people" walking off the golf course. I told my wife that I would never want to live there.

I couple of years later I retired and continued doing accreditation surveys of health care facilities a couple of times a month to keep me occupied. I was asked to lead a team survey of an outpatient surgery center in "Lady Lake" (wherever that was). My wife came along so that we could look for a place to rent in Florida during the winter months. (I had previously done a survey in Tavares and liked Mt Dora.) We stayed at the Hampton Inn for the survey and asked at at the desk for a good place to eat. They suggested going to Lake Sumter Landing. After completing the accreditation survey we decided to check on rentals in The Villages. We stopped at the sales office in Lake Sumter and asked if they handled rentals. They said "sure" then they gave us some free kool aid and pulled out a pocket watch on a chain.

It gets a little fuzzy then but the rest of the story is the same as everyone else's on this board. Next thing we knew we owned a house. :-)
Old 07-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We came in 07 on LSV, during the crazy houses sold in a day. Came in 09 for a few days, one of us still not sold.

Returned in 2010, another LSV, and bought our first house, PV. We were still working but wanted to give our parents a place to winter, and a vaca home for us.

2012, bought 3 bed cottage with 2 car garage, cause everyone needs a bigger garage, still working full time, but parents enjoyed the houses.

2014 bought third house, a designer with 2 car plus golf cart garage, cause everyone needs BIGGER garage. One is retired, and lives here except for summers, so our kids come down, during the summers. Still have house up north, and love the summers and I really do love snow.

This may or may not be our forever home in TV once we both are retired.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Veteran member

My wife and I wanted an active retirement community but had largely settled on South Carolina. We'd lived in North Carolina for 20 years and enjoyed the weather, people and food and new that SC had better tax breaks for retirees than NC. Never really considered Florida, which seemed just too stereotypical a thing to do for retirees. My wife's cousins were at their time share in Kissimmee when former neighbors tracked them down and told them to come visit them in this place called The Villages, to which they had moved. Cousins visited, took the tour and decided to continue to live in South Carolina to be closer to kids and grand-kids. However, they thought of us and the way we liked to vacation and what we'd said about retirement communities and called us up and basically told us, "I know where you guys are retiring to." We'd never heard of it but had a Florida vacation already planned so we visited, took the tour and were 90% convinced. The other 10% was us thinking, "This CAN'T be as good as it seems!" As we hadn't retired, there was no rush. We visited again the following year and were 95% convinced. We decided that, as good as The Villages seemed, there just HAD to be something almost as amazing but scaled down and possibly cheaper. We researched and researched, came down to Florida and visited several other communities plus stopped at The Villages one last time. On the way home, we decided we were not only 100% convinced that The Villages was all that and then some, but had found a house model we loved during an open house tour. We got home, narrowed it down from the dozen or so of that model that were for sale to just one (which happened to be the exact house we'd toured). We contacted the realtor we'd talked to a couple of times previously and told her to arrange the sale for us. We rented it out for a little over a year and then retired and moved here. After a year and a half here, we still love The Villages, love our house and, luckily for us, love our neighbors. Given that we hadn't met them when we bought (not sure if any of them had even moved in then), it could have gone any which way with them but they are all wonderful, friendly, fun, great folks.

By the way, our first impression of The Villages really centered around two things. First, we came down off 466 onto Morse and over the bridge. We saw the amazing view and the golf carts zipping by, pulled into Lake Sumter Landing and just couldn't believe the place. Think of what that entrance and that town is like compared to what it's like to drive into just about any other retirement community, no matter how nice they are. This place takes it to a whole 'nother level. Second, we had to use the rest rooms pretty shortly after we parked near the square and went into the public ones down by the lake. We each came out and said, "Can you believe how CLEAN and how AMAZING these bathrooms are?" We figured that if the folks that run the place took the effort to make something as minor as that as perfect as that, then they probably did the same for everything else. So far, that seems to be the case.

Before we moved here, we'd told our best friends in NC about the place. In fact, I'd told them so much they were probably convinced I was either crazy or getting a commission from The Villages or both. They offered to help us bring a load of stuff down when we started the moving process. They knew it wouldn't be for them as they wanted to stay in NC near kids and grandkids and also because they like the quiet lifestyle of living in the woods on several acres. In fact, they'd even told us that we were the only friends they had who had any interest in moving to a retirement community, that everybody else planned on "retiring in place." After 3 or 4 days here, they were already starting to ask, "Do they rent houses here for a week at a time?" By the time we were all headed back to NC, they were asking, "Do they rent houses here for the winter?" They are still several years away from retiring but they now definitely see the appeal of the place.
Closed Thread

Tags
began, found, florida, asked, friends

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.