Now It Is Our Turn!

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Thumbs up Now It Is Our Turn!

On Sunday we made the right decision...we bought our new home in Amelia while on our second lifestyle preview! We close on May 8th and are very excited. It will take some time to transition from Iowa, but the process has begun for us. Our goal was to live down South by the time I turned 55...and I turn 55 in a few months so we hit it pretty close.

TV is the only place we have found that has the lifestyle and ammenities we wanted. We have things to wind down and a house to sell, but we have a destination...and the rest will work out. Our initial thought was to be in TV full-time by November 1st but we will see how everything else works out. At least we have a place to move to and we couldn't be happier.

Here is a question we would like an answer to: The sales Rep is telling us that we need to have regular pest control services. Once we are in our home full time we expect that would be worthwhile, but since there will be several months initially where we will only be there for a few days at a time is it really necessary?

Also, This is a stick built home, and I see from the postings that most favor termite control contracts, but am wondering if this should be done later as well. Thoughts?

#1HawkeyeFan

Last edited by #1HawkeyeFan; 04-21-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:50 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1HawkeyeFan View Post
On Sunday we made the right decision...we bought our new home in Amelia while on our second lifestyle preview! We close on May 8th and are very excited. It will take some time to transition from Iowa, but the process has begun for us. Our goal was to live down South by the time I turned 55...and I turn 55 in a few months so we hit it pretty close.

TV is the only place we have found that has the lifestyle and ammenities we wanted. We have things to wind down and a house to sell, but we have a destination...and the rest will work out. Our initial thought was to be in TV full-time by November 1st but we will see how everything else works out. At least we have a place to move to and we couldn't be happier.

Here is a question we would like an answer to: The sales Rep is telling us that we need to have regular pest control services. Once we are in our home full time we expect that would be worthwhile, but since there will be several months initially where we will only be there for a few days at a time is it really necessary?

Also, This is a stick built home, and I see from the postings that most favor termite control contracts, but am wondering if this should be done later as well. Thoughts?

#1HawkeyeFan
In Florida, it is my opinion that insect control is #1 on your list. Termites are a huge problem if not controlled. Even on stucco houses, there is termite treatment. I would tend to pest control contracts first order of business.

JLK
Old 04-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

I agree with JLK, start exterior treatments after your closing and continue them with regular basis if you are occupying the house or not.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 04-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Veteran member
Default Congratulations Hawkeye Fan!!

Thats wonderful news!! You must be soooo excited!!
Good Luck and hope you sell your home soon!

P.S. Hope this isnt a stupid question lol, but can someone tell me how often we will need to do the pest control treatments? And approximately how much they cost? Thanks!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Sage

Great news Hawkeye. You've made the right choice. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Hawkeye,

We are just moving in (Friday) as well. Congratulations - it is such an exciting time.

From all I have read, bug control seems pretty important. It's like the old comment about 1 ounce of prevention I think...

Kate

PS same age too!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Veteran member
Default Cool beans Kate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Hawkeye,

We are just moving in (Friday) as well. Congratulations - it is such an exciting time.

From all I have read, bug control seems pretty important. It's like the old comment about 1 ounce of prevention I think...

Kate

PS same age too!
Congrats Congrats!! So happy for you! Friday will be an exciting day for you for sure!!
P.S. I am the same age too!!!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 AM
Sage

Hawkeye,

Congrats...great decision!!!

It is a good idea to have a pest control company. Most of the major players here treat the exterior perimeter of your house...creating a barrier that prevents bugs from coming in. I have Massey and they do pest control 4 times a year...annual cost is about $250. Other companies may be less.

As for termite protection, if you are buying a new house, you should have a one-year warranty so don't need to do anything now. In a year, you'll have to decide if you want to spend $100-$125/year for termite protection insurance. Most companies simply do annual inspections and treat if there is a problem. Some will do ongoing preventative treatments.

Of course, once you're here you can decide how much of lawn care, weed and feed, and pest prevention you want to do yourself. When you're not here permanently, you pretty much have to contract out for these services.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default The termite protection/annual inspection/renewal

will run you around a $100 plus or minus depending upon the size of the house. This is highly recommended as it assures protection as well as damage cost.

The other periodic pest control depending on who one uses is a monthly or quarterly application. On the average works out to around $20 per month.

As other posts have recommended...this is a must in this environment.

There are many providers with varying prices and services.

Good luck.

BTK
Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Veteran member
Default Good Info....Thanks!!

Thank you for the info. That is well worth it, and I will definitely have it done regularly (if I ever sell my house lol). Years ago I lived in an old house and was typing on the computer and all of a sudden...BAM! My floor was loaded with them!! Yuk!! Luckily I had someone come right away, and poof they were gone! .
Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 AM

I agree with the others that pest control is a #1 priority. I would also recommend that you use a professional (and there are many good ones to choose from!) rather than doing it yourself. A big advantage is having some one to call should a problem occur that will know exactly what treatment or chemical needs to be used. It isn't that the bugs here are any worse than they are anywhere else, it is just that they are different than what most of us encountered in other parts of the country. I have dealt with ants of all sizes up north, but would not have had a clue about fireants!

Having come from Pennsylvania where we also had pest control service (those pesky ants), I can tell you that what I pay for my pest control service, yard fertilizer service and termite service here, is less than I paid just for the quarterly pest control service up north!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Veteran member
Default Just a thought....

Not sure if I should post this on here, but I was given some good info from my exterminator when I had that problem with termites. He said to never have mulch around the perimeter of your house if you have gardens, termites love it! And when I moved up North brrrrr....he told me not to stack my wood close to the outside of the house. But I know you lucky ducks in TV dont need to worry about wood lol, but for those of us who are still freezing up north lol. .
Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1HawkeyeFan View Post

#1HawkeyeFan
HawkeyeFan, congratulations on the new home and the upcoming move to TV. What part of Iowa will you be moving from? Back in the day, we lived in Cedar Rapids and Davenport before moving to the Chicago area. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Send a message via MSN to darylj2000
Thumbs up

congrats; we are happy for you. We are so tired of open house every week but this is all part of the dance. We too are from Iowa (West Des Moines) and when we sale our house we will be comming to TV also
Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I recommend you use a pest control company, it may be more important when you are not here full time since you're not around to spot a problem. I have neighbor let them in when I'm not here. They come out 4 times a year and the annual cost is around $235. They will come out more often if you have an issue at no extra charge. I use a smaller local company (been using them for over 4 years), Bay Area Pest Control, 352-245-4522. PM me if you end up using them.......GN

Last edited by golfnut; 04-22-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.