NYE update, meeting w/VPAA 4/23?

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Platinum member
Default NYE update, meeting w/VPAA 4/23?

New Years Eve at the polo fields????? ........A big charity event sounded like a great thing to me, but I am just a tiny grain of sand in a big ocean. May the powers that be, be ashamed for not hosting a midnight NYE event after allowing it for a while............you disappointed many, many people that had planned an evening at the squares!!!!!! Imagine the party at the polo fields on NYE, What a great place and a huge charitable event it could have been. It would have been a great reason for friends and family to visit. We have beautiful weather and don't want to be stuck inside a restaurant or club. UPDATE>>>>>>>> The Volunteers Performing Arts Alliance fundraising committee is going to discuss a NYE charity EVENT at their meeting 4/23 (INFO POSTED BELOW) and want to meet w/interested TOTV peeps about the idea. I can not make this meeting. Can any of you? I've told VPAA I would let them know........
Old 04-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Gold member
Default Re: 1st Annual New Years Eve Extravaganza Idea

Sounds like a great idea, though we personally are clueless as to how to go about arranging for something like this. In other words, we'd be delighted to participate but are ignorant of the logistics....
Old 04-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Sage

;D Ronda, this is a fabulous idea. I was so disappointed last NYE, my first in TV, because the squares closed down at 9. I wondered then why they didn't use the polo field as the Christmas festivities were so much fun there. So I'm all for it. I don't have any "clout" but I'll do anything I can to help. Write a letter, design a flyer, etc. Just let me know. I think "America's Friendliest Home Town" should see the New Year in together. And the charity contribution is a wonderful idea. I'll help in anyway I can. Maybe some kind of committee can be formed to approach the powers that be???
Old 04-06-2008, 05:03 AM
Platinum member

Chels, Last year was our 4th NYE here in the Villages. I wanted to cry......9 PM and it was time to go home!! The year before, it was packed....we had food of all sorts and all our new Villages friends laughing, dancing, and ringing in the year together! Everyone went there seperate ways this past year. Its time to find a big site, and make it an annual event!! After expenses all proceeds to charity. I was impressed with the Navy Seal expo, there was a great stage area, and enough land for Villages "Woodstock" NYE!! Probably just dreaming, but did notice NYE open on Rockys' site!!
Old 04-06-2008, 05:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

We always come to TV between Christmas and New Years and always enjoyed the squares...up until last year with the changes. Well, not totally as we left and continued to party with our friends at our house. But it just wasn't the same as being at the Square to ring in the New Year.

I would love Rocky and the Rollers being at the Polo Fields (and I think this is a grand idea). But.....I'm not sure they would risk their standing with TV and the new rule of closing down at 9. If Rocky booked privately with us, would they lose their standing with the management of TV and lose being asked to play at the Squares?

I will do whatever I can (long distance from Michigan) to get this event going. If you need any help, just let me know.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:13 AM

We're also in if you need help. My daughter worked for an events planner in Nashville and would be happy to give us some direction and possibly meet with us to direct us and perhaps help us plan it. Let me know if I can help.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:36 PM

I think this is a great idea. I'm in NJ taking care of 2 ill parents for now so can't help much from here. But the charity idea is superb. Great plan Rhonda. The genius of y'all never fails to amaze me. That, in itself, is mostly what attracts me to TV. What a bunch of creative people. Can't wait to meet some of you at Crisper's on the 18th.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Founder

Can TOTV be the major sponsor?
Old 04-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

It is a good idea, however I am more for putting the pressure on the "powers that be" to bring back celebrating in the town squares that has been SO SUCCESSFUL until the new generation management came on the scene.
Start hammering them now!!!

BTK
Old 04-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Platinum member

Going to talk to Rocky (Gerry), tomorrow night. I will let you know his thoughts! Wish me luck!
Old 04-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Taltarzac

Like this charity NYE idea more than bringing back the festivities for NYE at the town squares. Too many people now in TV really for public law enforcement to handle security at these parties. The Villages would have to hire private security now for these to go on and I do not see them doing that.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Veteran member

I believe the NYE in the Squares was open to the public (correct me if I'm wrong). I can understand why security was an issue for safety reasons.

This event at the Pole Field should be for TV residents and their guests ONLY--back to checking ID's--which is a good thing. I think security will be less of a concern, but
needed just as well (less man power)

The idea is terrific, and it would be even better if TOTV was the sponsor.

Village of Hemmingway
Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Platinum member

You are correct that the squares are open to the public. The stores, restaurants and businesses depend on that, rightfully so. Security could be minimal and involve Village watch and other volunteers. I believe Villagers would appreciate this as a "private" event! How big of a crowd at $10 pp could we expect? 7,000....could the polo fields accomodate that many people? That would be $70,000. $20,000 for expenses enough? staging? porta potties, security officers? etc.? $50,000 for charity is huge!! The Town Squares could still have entertainment for "outside TV" people or others that aren't into the midnight ritual. For many years I worked NYE, and wish for this big event to come to truition. I will ask Gerry if this idea can be presented to the right people.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM

I just completed putting on a event at the Polo Field. The lower floor of the pavilion will hold 600 people sitting around 5' tables. Unfortunately they only have 38 tables, not a problem. I chaired the Parrot Heads poker run there. We sold 666 tickets and ate 570 hot dogs and we served them in 52 minutes. I think 7000 is pie in the sky but with a little planning 1500 is doable. First a committee has to formed, then the Polo Field has to be reserved, as deposit will be required. ( contact Don Waggoner 352-750-7656 ) If TOTV is a sponsor they must assume some responsibility. I am sure they will be part of the committee. The committee will have to get quotes for entertainment, food and printing expenses. I am not happy to tell you a lot of volunteers also disappear when the prep work starts. A charity must be chosen and then their endorsement will open a lot of doors. Once a commitment is made you must follow thru or lose credibility. I am snowbird but I would be willing to help.
Rich P.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Platinum member

Thank you, Rich. The info you provided may be the info needed. ;D I am thinking an all day into the evening event. The entertainment here in TV is varied and very good. The entire lawn could be utilized for personal chairs and 1 small table per 2 attendees. (with a dance area up front!). Tickets could be purchased in advance by residents and registered guests only. The vendors could be set up around the perimeter. Charities could include Operation Shoebox, Hospice, Parrothead charities!!! and other local charities. Thanks for your offer to help, I may keep in touch. OK all my sistahs, (and bruddahs I never had) lets keep this going more ideas??
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.