O.K. I give up!

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Default O.K. I give up!

We finally decided to take the house off the market. Its been a year+ and it just got to difficult. Mr. Ouma just hated it as we had to take pets out, and disappear. I would often be working and he would have to wrangle the critters himself. It was becoming a real pain. But now dear TOTV friends I am soooooo depressed. I have no idea when we will be able to move to TV. We may wait a year or so and try it again. In the meantime I am thinking that maybe we can rent a house for a few weeks at a time several times a year. It ain't perfect but will have to do. I will need to find a place that accepts pets and probably won't be during the winter as that might be harder to find a rental. I haven't ever looked at rentals because we were so sure we would be able to buy and not be snowbirds (or sunbirds) but I am going to start. sob!
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Better times are ahead.

Oh Ooma. Don't cry. It is beginning to turn around. We had lunch today with a villager wannabe who also holds a high position on our city board of realtors and he says he thinks it is going to get better.

There are many reasonable rentals all around the villages and this will give you a chance to see which area you like the best.

It will work out for the best, you will see. It must be a full moon. I am north and so homesick for TV I cried too last night.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Platinum member

You may want to lock in a rental now, Ooma. My brother and wife have rented here Nov and Dec for the last three years. They just locked in for this year at one half what they paid last year.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:02 PM

Thank you GG. That's a really good thought that we can take the time to see the area we like best. And thanks also downeaster. I will look into locking in a rental right away so that we can feel a little more settled. Also, I just realised that if we can rent the same place it will feel more like living there when we come down rather than coming for a vacation to a different house every time. I appreciate all the cheery good thoughts-it's really helping, and i'm not sobbing quite so hard.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Sage

Ouma, Please dont give up. We rented for 3 years before we bought and we enjoyed the time down there just as if we had owned. And what a great idea Gracie had about checking out all the areas to see where you might want to buy.
I just know your going to be frogs someday, if you want something that badly it WILL happen. Dont be sad, I have talked to so many people whos house finally sold after over a year, sometimes almost 2 years. And please let us know when you will be renting so we can all meet you(and your feathered little friends).

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:50 PM

Nonie you just lifted my spirits also.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Sage

Im glad Sunny!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Keep the faith!
We sold after two attempts and are currently renting while we get our new home ready. We were also able to rent with kitties in tow.
It does cost a little extra but pet friendly rentals are available.
Hope to meet you when you get here.
Gail, Dave &
Bristol & Charlotte (The Girls)
Old 05-10-2009, 05:52 AM

You are all just so wonderful! Thanks Nonie, Sunny and Whalen for the cheery messages. You ahve no idea how much they help. I can't wait to meet everyone, although I feel like we've been friends forever. Nonie, the feathered babies are looking forwad to meeting you too and Whalen, your Bristol and Charlotte looks so much like my girls, Bailey and Shelby.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

Oh Ouma I'm sorry you are so sad, maybe you and your hubby can hang on in this crazy market just alittle bit longer? It really does seem to be picking up lately. Just these past two weeks there have been lots of postings on here of folks that have just sold and on their way to TV . I agree that it is a real pain with the showings, I was ready to throw in the towel yesterday myself but I really have a good instinct that things are turning around and I am a true believer in a "woman's instinct". I know I am lucky cause I have a big fenced in area for my doggies (golden retrievers), and I always go outside and walk around so as not to bother the lookers. I told my realtor, no way jose am I leaving my babies, and there is no way I could handle putting them in the car and driving around for an hour...if I did I would probably have thrown in the towel. Maybe just a few more months? This is usually an active time in real estate...hopefully! .
I wish you the best whatever you decide to do, and hopefully we will meet in TV soon. I hope to be down there in a few months with my new BFF!
Jeanne
Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 AM

I know what you mean about leaving your babies Jeannie. I just won't do it either. I just don't trust anyone to keep the birds door closed, and not let the cats out. I have been so cheered up by all these positive messages that I think we will take a break for a only a few months and then try again. And in the meantime visit as often as we can so we can meet all our great friends.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:18 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouma1938 View Post
We finally decided to take the house off the market. Its been a year+ and it just got to difficult. Mr. Ouma just hated it as we had to take pets out, and disappear. I would often be working and he would have to wrangle the critters himself. It was becoming a real pain. But now dear TOTV friends I am soooooo depressed. I have no idea when we will be able to move to TV. We may wait a year or so and try it again. In the meantime I am thinking that maybe we can rent a house for a few weeks at a time several times a year. It ain't perfect but will have to do. I will need to find a place that accepts pets and probably won't be during the winter as that might be harder to find a rental. I haven't ever looked at rentals because we were so sure we would be able to buy and not be snowbirds (or sunbirds) but I am going to start. sob!
Ouma Hi, Things will turn around we are all praying and have St Joesph buried in our yards of our home we are trying to sell.We couldn't wait to sell our home,we found a lot fell in love with it and here we are in TV,s still trying to sell our other house. But we are now frogs and love everyday here this is just the greatest place to be.
Smile and Be Happy,just visit more often!!!!!!!! Mary
email shwedwards@comcast.net
cell 352-603-5333
Old 05-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Sage

Ouma, I'm sending you a PM re TV rentals.

As a realtor yourself, you probably know the market very well in your area. Listings that have been around for a while get "tired". It never hurts to give a listing a "rest" .. and then it comes back on the market as a new listing.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It took us 20 months before we finally sold (7/08)and we have never looked back, In this market it takes time and patience..not easy but the end (TV) is well worth it!!! Good luck!!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Ouma, my friend,

The cleaning and the pet arrangements and the rejections of your home are all horrible. But you live in a beautiful place and your house will sell.

As Whalen said, there are pet-friendly rentals out there.

You may also want to consider giving a realtor near you a limited listing so that you don't go on MLS but prospective buyers that agent has vetted get a showing. This worked for a friend of ours.

Your time in TV will come. And I do believe the economy and housing market are improving.

Kate

(PS - Go TIGERS)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.