Oak Tree Removal?

Old 03-02-2024, 08:02 AM
Default oak tree removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbatterman View Post
We have a big oak tree on our property that creates a cleanup nightmare for us every year at this time of year. Inches of leaves on the lawn and incessant leaves on our driveway, front walkway, dragged into the house, etc. I had heard there was some restriction against removing these trees. But then I heard that restriction was recently removed. Does anyone know the actual situation? Can we remove this tree? If so are there any rules we must follow in doing so?
I recently had one removed and had to get a written statement from a licensed arborist stating it was diseased or damaged before removal
Old 03-02-2024, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,396 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnyP View Post
Wasn't the tree there before you bought your house? These trees were kept by the developers for a reason.
What reason was that?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-02-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:
We have a big oak tree on our property that creates a cleanup nightmare for us every year at this time of year. Inches of leaves on the lawn and incessant leaves on our driveway, front walkway, dragged into the house, etc. I had heard there was some restriction against removing these trees. But then I heard that restriction was recently removed. Does anyone know the actual situation? Can we remove this tree? If so are there any rules we must follow in doing so?
Easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:13 AM

I just had an oak tree cut down. Simply get a licensed arborist to signoff on it. Stanage Tree does an EXCELLENT job!

Quote:
Old 03-02-2024, 08:13 AM

Blueblaze, you sound like a tree hugger. Why do you want to impose your beliefs upon others. Some people don’t like, or can’t do, all the upkeep. Why don’t you start a service and go around The Villages and offer free oak tree cleanups? You can call it “Johnny Acorn”!
Old 03-02-2024, 08:20 AM

A mature oak tree absorbs about 48 lbs. of carbon dioxide per year and in turn releases oxygen back into the air.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:25 AM
Default 🤦🏼

Quote:
Ask a question here, you’ll get 20 opinions from 10 people. Reach out to ARC and ask someone who can answer your question.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:26 AM

If this property is in one of the Villa communities of TV, then you do not need permission to take it down.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,396 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
If this property is in one of the Villa communities of TV, then you do not need permission to take it down.
If you live in a villa then your deed restrictions *MIGHT* not require ARC approval to remove a tree. (every area has its own version of the deed restrictions)

HOWEVER, it still is not clear if County approval is required. At least two posters have given good advice to contact a professional tree company to learn what approvals may be required.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-02-2024, 08:43 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

At least one of your neighbors probably bought next to you, or behind you, because that wonderful tree gave them shade in the summer. What a shame.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
I have a better idea. Instead of removing a beautiful tree that shades your expensive roof and cuts your utility bills, just because it drops its leaves for a couple of weeks every year, why don't you sell your house with the valuable, rare, oak tree to someone who likes trees and move to one of the hundreds of other TREELESS neighborhoods in The Villages? You'll probably make money on the deal!

But if you want to keep your home and then suddenly come to your senses and decide not to destroy a valuable neighborhood asset, here's a tip on the leaves.

QUIT RAKING THEM UP, just to throw them in a landfill. They represent valuable lawn fertilizer -- even more so, now that a bag of fertilizer now costs $50 at Lowes. Instead, just MOW them and you will discover that the chopped-up remains magically disappear in a couple of weeks, right about the time the trees quit dropping them!
Old 03-02-2024, 09:27 AM
Default Oak tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenelRibet View Post
Oaks take years to grow in the first place, but then they are there for a long time. The habitat, beauty, and shade they provide are of far more value than the minor inconvenience of leaves once a year. I have 5 large oaks on my property - one is over 150 years old, and it is magnificent. Don't turn your area into another urban blight project by removing a beautiful tree. Your shortsightedness will far outlive you.
Too bad the tree couldn't be moved/transported to someone who loves them rather than the resident who finds it a nuisance. Moving to TV from New England meant never to rake another darn leaf. Loving that.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:30 AM
Default Consider Triming

Mature oak trees are a lot of work. Mature oak trees are also beautiful. Mature oak trees with Spanish Moss are even more work and more beautiful.

Before you cut yours down, consider hiring a good tree service like Tree Frog to do a thorough trimming of the tree. This will clear out a lot of small branches, unnecessary clutter, and shape the tree in an attractive manner. Tree Frog will also cut out the surface roots that cause problems in the lawn.

Proper trimming will also result in a dramatic reduction in the leaves, acorn, and small branches that cause you so much work and aggravation. If your tree overhangs or is close to your house, trimming will greatly reduce the leaves that end up in your rain gutters which can clog the gutters and cause water to back into the soffits and damage the house.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Talking Perfect reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
Blueblaze, you obviously do not have an oak tree on or near your property. If you did, you will realize how much work is involved in maintaining these trees, if you want your property to look nice and prevent the "suckers" from taking root, and having to dispose of the acorns. It is not a few days work, it is MONTHS of DAILY cleanup starting about Sept/Oct right through March. Don't be so judgmental. Maybe if people took the leaves and acorns and dumped them on YOUR property, you would change your tune
I could not have said it better myself. Well, I could have but I would have most likely been banned for life.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
Blueblaze, you sound like a tree hugger. Why do you want to impose your beliefs upon others. Some people don’t like, or can’t do, all the upkeep. Why don’t you start a service and go around The Villages and offer free oak tree cleanups? You can call it “Johnny Acorn”!
I'm no tree hugger. I believe in private property. If it's your tree, cut it down if it pleases you.

But I also believe in freedom of speech. So don't be surprised when your neighbors point out what a fool you are for killing a valuable tree that you foolishly paid good money for, just because you have suddenly discovered that trees have leaves.

Tags
tree, oak, year, heard, leaves

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.