observations from looking for homes

Old 05-18-2024, 02:13 PM
Default observations from looking for homes

My wife and I have noticed that many of the homes we are looking at under MLS or VLS from up north in TV are from 2000-2004 [not considering the east with the mobile home section] Most have all been updated, roof, hvac, water heater, and sometimes appliances, floor, etc, most no bond which is good. But they are now 20 to 24 years old, and I have heard/read that some insurance companies won’t insure homes that are at this age, even with a new roof. Then there is the fact that there will be obvious work needing to be done on older homes. Then we move towards the middle of TV and we see homes built in 2008-let’s say to 2013 and many of these may have nice upgrades like cabinets, epoxy garage, garage screen, lani cage, etc, etc, but the major stuff like roof, hvac, water heater, flooring are like in between their shelf life and have not been replaced, and of course a bond that usually has some kind of balance. So if we purchased one from that era, we are looking at a new roof not too far down the road and perhaps more cost with other appliances, hvac, water heater, etc to replace. Then going south some are built in 2017-2019, obviously new enough for not having to think about roof, etc, right now, but much higher bond and usually more expensive than in northern area. Then of course there are new builds and spec homes with everything new, but highest bond payment. So we are on the fence as to which way to proceed. On the one hand perhaps paying the higher bond is better and cheaper, than having an older house but having to put more money in it for what I described above. I am aware of the two sides of the coin as to whether new or resale. I’m also aware of the pros and cons to the north vs south part of TV, such as: closer/further away to amenities, stores, doctors, etc. My wife and I do not care which part of TV other than we want Sumter county. We are in our late 60’s early 70’s and realize we will not be in the home 30 years. We are looking to buy 350 and under, no mortgage. We have been here to visit two times, and are doing another life style visit late summer with the intent to make a decision since I want to retire this December. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you

Tags
homes, bond, roof, hvac, water

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.