observations regarding home locations and cost

Old 05-21-2024, 01:30 PM

I love your section! You didnt mention the area’s mature trees and lush landscaping. A gardener might relish established plants. This section has (reportedly)fewer CDD rules (called HOA elsewhere) too—which could be considered as good or bad depending on each person’s perspective. One thing I dislike is the old original golfcart bridge. It seems very narrow & steep but maybe I’d get used to it in time.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:53 PM

Construction types have changed a lot! Deciding on a type of home & construction type might be high priority considerations. Do you prefer wood frame/vinyl siding, cement block/stucco, or pre-cast concrete? The types are important due to construction types, lot sizes & resale comps.How important is backyard size & lanai privacy? Patio villas are different from Courtyard villas & Veranda styles are different from cottage & designer homes. There are even a few townhomes besides the manufactured homes & others in the SS area. Generally, if you want or need a fence (perhaps to contain a dog?) that will limit your options to Courtyard or Verandas. One important factor IMO is close proximity to a grocery store you like. Also being close to the activities you think you’ll do most. Theres no right/wrong, only what suits you & your wife best.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofthecountry View Post
My wife and I have noticed that many of the homes we are looking at under MLS or VLS from up north in TV are from 2000-2004 [not considering the east with the mobile home section] Most have all been updated, roof, hvac, water heater, and sometimes appliances, floor, etc, most no bond which is good. But they are now 20 to 24 years old, and I have heard/read that some insurance companies won’t insure homes that are at this age, even with a new roof. Then there is the fact that there will be obvious work needing to be done on older homes. Then we move towards the middle of TV and we see homes built in 2008-let’s say to 2013 and many of these may have nice upgrades like cabinets, epoxy garage, garage screen, lani cage, etc, etc, but the major stuff like roof, hvac, water heater, flooring are like in between their shelf life and have not been replaced, and of course a bond that usually has some kind of balance. So if we purchased one from that era, we are looking at a new roof not too far down the road and perhaps more cost with other appliances, hvac, water heater, etc to replace. Then going south some are built in 2017-2019, obviously new enough for not having to think about roof, etc, right now, but much higher bond and usually more expensive than in northern area. Then of course there are new builds and spec homes with everything new, but highest bond payment. So we are on the fence as to which way to proceed. On the one hand perhaps paying the higher bond is better and cheaper, than having an older house but having to put more money in it for what I described above. I am aware of the two sides of the coin as to whether new or resale. I’m also aware of the pros and cons to the north vs south part of TV, such as: closer/further away to amenities, stores, doctors, etc. My wife and I do not care which part of TV other than we want Sumter county. We are in our late 60’s early 70’s and realize we will not be in the home 30 years. We are looking to buy 350 and under, no mortgage. We have been here to visit two times, and are doing another life style visit late summer with the intent to make a decision since I want to retire this December. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you
Buy on a street with LOW traffic density or a Cul de Sac. Have a lake or a golf course in your backyard so that you have fewer (noisy) neighbors. Preferably, have any large trees to the Southwest or to the West to decrease the HEAT in the house. A living fence is always nice.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:54 PM

Our home in TV's was built in 2000 and we have no problem obtaining homeowner's insurance. Golfers shopping for homes in The Villages should NOT purchase a New Home in the Southern Areas, which lack enough Executive Golf Courses. Rather, they should buy a pre-owned home in the Middle or Northern areas which have plenty of Executive golf courses nearby. Also, the Bond is usually paid off on homes in the North and Middle areas, plus you are MUCH CLOSER to Shopping & Restaurants.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,423 Times in 4,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleprice View Post
Our home in TV's was built in 2000 and we have no problem obtaining homeowner's insurance. Golfers shopping for homes in The Villages should NOT purchase a New Home in the Southern Areas, which lack enough Executive Golf Courses. Rather, they should buy a pre-owned home in the Middle or Northern areas which have plenty of Executive golf courses nearby. Also, the Bond is usually paid off on homes in the North and Middle areas, plus you are MUCH CLOSER to Shopping & Restaurants.
Do you have this post saved in a folder, so you can "cut & paste" it over and over again?

-Tom Petty
Old 05-21-2024, 06:14 PM

Thank you all so much for your responses. You have given us a lot to consider and think about. A couple of things regarding your responses: Yes I over think. I guess because it is a huge decision as I am winding down towards retirement. We really do not want to rent as, we do not want to put our things in storage. We really only want to move one more time. I have moved a lot with my job over the years and only have one more move in me. I did not mean to offend regarding the word “Trailer” which by the way is not in my original post. I used the words “mobile home.” Just because I know insurance can be an issue with them. Dare I say that we are not golfers [and still want to live here] We do not want a CYV or anything with a fence. Again, you have all offered so much good advice from financial considerations, to locations, difference in what the houses are built of, insurance issues, considerations of clubs, [my wife loves that there is a quilting club!] Very interesting to read how you all approached your move to TV. Again, many thanks for all your thoughts and responses. We continue the quest!
Old 05-21-2024, 07:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleprice View Post
Golfers shopping for homes in The Villages should NOT purchase a New Home in the Southern Areas, which lack enough Executive Golf Courses.
Isn't the Eastport area getting something like at least 7 courses within the next few years? These would be NEW courses, not OLD neglected courses that might take years to restore to acceptable playing condition. In addition, the Eastport area will have fairly close golf cart access to the existing 6 courses south of the Turnpike.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Thank you all so much for your responses. You have given us a lot to consider and think about. A couple of things regarding your responses: Yes I over think. I guess because it is a huge decision as I am winding down towards retirement. We really do not want to rent as, we do not want to put our things in storage. We really only want to move one more time. I have moved a lot with my job over the years and only have one more move in me. I did not mean to offend regarding the word “Trailer” which by the way is not in my original post. I used the words “mobile home.” Just because I know insurance can be an issue with them. Dare I say that we are not golfers [and still want to live here] We do not want a CYV or anything with a fence. Again, you have all offered so much good advice from financial considerations, to locations, difference in what the houses are built of, insurance issues, considerations of clubs, [my wife loves that there is a quilting club!] Very interesting to read how you all approached your move to TV. Again, many thanks for all your thoughts and responses. We continue the quest!
No worries on clubs to join, meetings are usually once a month, and quilting has multiple groups in different areas. Plus no matter where you choose and say 7 different clubs, it only 7 days a month. Plus groceries are not an issue here, after all it’s maybe a weekly trip, and there are farmers markets on and off site that are worth it.

Then again the Kroger truck comes frequently in our neighborhood and can’t beat delivery to your door in the dead of summer heat, with ice cream perfectly frozen.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat2015 View Post
I don’t see the prices decreasing in the Eastport area. If anything I see the prices increasing with the surrounding Villages closest to the square like in Waters Edge. Just speculation, but I think that’s going to be a hot area for buyers.
With this housing market, I do not believe it is wise to speculate. Currently, a large inventory of available homes is pulling the price of both new and preowned down.

The developer may not be having a problem selling homes with views in the Eastport area. In fact, many are being purchased by Villagers with existing homes. However, interior sites are a different story. Perhaps, he will increase the price of premium lots. But the homes? Lake Denham and Dabney interior home sales have been SLOW. It has been nearly a year since construction was completed and many homes remain available even with discounts. Why would he risk raising prices?

IMO, it is probably a good idea to wait and watch. Those who are rushing in to buy whatever they can in the Eastport area due to the lottery, may find a sizeable profit in a year or so is NOT going to happen. It is no longer a seller's market. Chances are it will remain a buyer's market for several years. If so, this means home prices will continue to fall.

More commercial in that area? I believe the chances are slim. At least, for now. With inflation and rising wages, most companies are cutting costs. Few are able or willing to expand.

Last edited by Randall55; 05-21-2024 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
With this housing market, I do not believe it is wise to speculate. Currently, a large inventory of available homes is pulling the price of both new and preowned down.

The developer may not be having a problem selling homes with views in the Eastport area.In fact, many are being purchased by Villagers with existing homes. However, interior sites are a different story. Perhaps, he will increase the price of premium lots. But the actual homes? Lake Denham and Dabney interior home sales have been SLOW. It has been nearly a year since construction was completed and many homes remain available even with discounts. Why would he risk raising prices?
I'm convinced that Lake Denham and Dabney are outliers due to their poor location. Even so, I believe there's less than 100 homes still available in those areas. I wouldn't consider that a large inventory.

Moultrie Creek near Eastport is selling quickly though with multiple buyers chasing after most of the current inventory. I doubt we will see any discounting going on there.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:01 AM

Quote:
My wife and I have noticed that many of the homes we are looking at under MLS or VLS from up north in TV are from 2000-2004 [not considering the east with the mobile home section] Most have all been updated, roof, hvac, water heater, and sometimes appliances, floor, etc, most no bond which is good. But they are now 20 to 24 years old, and I have heard/read that some insurance companies won’t insure homes that are at this age, even with a new roof. Then there is the fact that there will be obvious work needing to be done on older homes. Then we move towards the middle of TV and we see homes built in 2008-let’s say to 2013 and many of these may have nice upgrades like cabinets, epoxy garage, garage screen, lani cage, etc, etc, but the major stuff like roof, hvac, water heater, flooring are like in between their shelf life and have not been replaced, and of course a bond that usually has some kind of balance. So if we purchased one from that era, we are looking at a new roof not too far down the road and perhaps more cost with other appliances, hvac, water heater, etc to replace. Then going south some are built in 2017-2019, obviously new enough for not having to think about roof, etc, right now, but much higher bond and usually more expensive than in northern area. Then of course there are new builds and spec homes with everything new, but highest bond payment. So we are on the fence as to which way to proceed. On the one hand perhaps paying the higher bond is better and cheaper, than having an older house but having to put more money in it for what I described above. I am aware of the two sides of the coin as to whether new or resale. I’m also aware of the pros and cons to the north vs south part of TV, such as: closer/further away to amenities, stores, doctors, etc. My wife and I do not care which part of TV other than we want Sumter county. We are in our late 60’s early 70’s and realize we will not be in the home 30 years. We are looking to buy 350 and under, no mortgage. We have been here to visit two times, and are doing another life style visit late summer with the intent to make a decision since I want to retire this December. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you
Sounds to me like you’d be a great asset to TV. My wife and I find TV to be less costly than most other retirement communities that we looked at, and way more fun. Reading here you’ll find many complaints about prices, but the fact is that prices went up everywhere. You can find plenty of houses in your price range here. As for new vs old that’s your decision. We moved here and bought a 16 year old that that is now approaching 20. The insurance company made us replace roof this year, no problem it was time and on our list to do anyway. Now we get a small discount.

Bond is indeed something to consider, realtors here are trained to make us believe that bond has nothing to do with cost of house or debt. That’s bs. Take two $300,000 homes and add a$12000 bond to one and then check compare your monthly cost. Good luck in what you choose, I’m eager to count you in as a fellow villager.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I realize that, but that is our budget. I know we could never purchase a designer home. Thank you
I just counted the brand new designer homes for sale under 350k and stopped counting at 60. The lowest is a Bougainvillea design for 299K. You can definitely get a designer home if that’s what you like. You’ll either put the money into a bond or some improvements and repairs on a pre-owned so go with the area and house you like best.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Several years ago, we made a 5 year plan to retire to The Villages. As fate would have it, last year my husband was diagnosed with cancer. During this time, he took a nose dive and ended up on life support. I had a lot of time to think about life and what is important. Long story short, when he recovered I discussed with him what I had thought about during those long days where he was dying and we realized we weren't living our lives, we were being controlled by external forces. We decided to shift our 5 year plan to as soon as possible. We listed our home for sale and started spending lots of time in TV. Our home sold and we bought a home in TV, we close June 11th. That's how we made the choice to move.

Our house shopping/village shopping went very much like your experience. We fell in love with the historic side and our first contract was for a manufactured home on the golf course but we could've obtain insurance. That fell through. Our second contract was for a home in Liberty Park but the hot water heater was "end of life" and the sellers wouldn't replace it, so that fell through, again due to insurance. It was at that point we decided to purchase a new home.

Good luck on your journey!
Old 05-22-2024, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,771 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
This is not a golf community (although some of the comments would make it seem so). Golf is only one of the many, many activities here. I have several friends who do not play and do not own a golf cart. They love living here as much as everyone else.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:26 AM
Default Other Factors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I made a list of the 20 most important things to me. Which for you maybe price would be number one. Then I weighed the list as to how significant each item was to me. When I looked at houses I graded each one according to how they checked off against my list. For example, my neighbors were very important to me so I checked out the area around the house I wanted. At the pool, on the street etc. Took my time. Talked to people. Some people would move, but not the whole street. When my husband passed suddenly, unexpectedly, they became the most important element to my actual survival, later, my quality of life. Never regret my initial time investment. Yours maybe other things.
We were lucky. We didn't do proper research, but found out that having "good neighbors" is very important. We haven't encountered any of the other issues being considered, even though we're way up north.

Tags
roof, bond, homes, heater, water

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.