Occupation Before Retiring

Old 01-29-2024, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Pretty cool having that many people that looked up to you.
Rumor has it some didnt like what they saw and turned over
Old 01-29-2024, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post
I was a Professional Engineer. I managed the Engineering division of a Development Review Services department for a county government. My wife worked for the Tax Collector for the same county. We were much loved by our citizens...I permitted them and she taxed them!
When I was little I wanted to be an Engineer. I really liked trains. 😉

(I'm sure you've heard this joke before.)
Old 01-29-2024, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,022 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
When I was little I wanted to be an Engineer. I really liked trains. 😉

(I'm sure you've heard this joke before.)
Since I was 5 years old I wanted to be a chemical engineer. My mother asked why? Because my babysitter (after school) was the happiest person I knew, and she was studying chemical engineering. After highschool I did enter chemical engineering for two years. I watched beakers endlessly and made graphs etc etc and was bored to death. I left. Not sure what exactly my babysitter found so exciting. (It wasn’t the guys, in my native country more females than males study chemical engineering.)
Old 01-29-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkOuFan View Post
As you can see most folks don’t talk about it or really care. We’ve reached that point that our “job” doesn’t define who we are. I think we find more connections asking where you are from as you might have some common history or experiences. I think another reason is you quickly find out how talented other villagers are. I spent 41 years in the financial industry and thought I was somewhat successful, but when I hear that the guy I’m playing golf with was a former pro baseball player, who later became a doctor, I kind of feel like a nudge. I think retired is the best career to have.
The question was not meant to "define" anyone, but rather strictly out of curiosity and to see if others have similar backgrounds. Based on the responses, there definitely are similarities.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowilts View Post
Best job, Morse Code Operator, Instructor. USAF Security Service. One of last jobs, Certified Ethical Hacker, Booz Allen Hamilton, until it became not Ethical.
My only assignment in 34 years that didn't involve tent life in 3rd world paradises was at 6950th RAF Chicksands, UK circa 1965. I was not a Diddy bop, though.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
That sounds like George from Seinfeld. Very funny show.
Yes, they are all George professions. Interestingly, only one of them is a position he actually had (Yankees).

Funny story...my wife is a realtor and took me to a Top Producer "Elite Retreat" in Boca Raton one year when we were a fairly new couple (this was maybe 5 years ago). When the other realtors asked me what I did I would alway respond with one of George's professions from the show. I had them going on Importer/Exporter. I told them I imported latex to tie the 2 jobs into one. I really had them at Marine Biologist. I have enough knowledge of the subject to keep them intrigued for quite some time.

Eventually they all realized I was full of crap. Then they didn't believe me when I told them I was in biotech, which I am.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:52 PM

I was a family law attorney who was either a guardian ad litem for abused, neglected, dependent children or represented parents of those children.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I was a “know it all” for while, but that didn’t pay well.
People who think they know it all offend those of us that do.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macawlaw View Post
I was a family law attorney who was either a guardian ad litem for abused, neglected, dependent children or represented parents of those children.
Thanks for your service.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:44 AM

This turned out to be a great thread, including comments about what people wanted to be and what they ended up doing. Putting aside that all kids in the 1960s wanted to be astronauts, by the time college rolled around I wanted to be either an astrophysicist, a rock star, or a lawyer (I did high school and college debate for nationally-ranked schools and law seemed like a good extension). Math killed the science path, and people way more musically talented weren't getting anywhere, so law school it was.

I enjoyed a 30-year law career (business litigation), and retired/went inactive 6 weeks before the pandemic shutdown! Good timing. I still get asked about reactivating and am always pleased to decline. Maybe rock star is still in the cards.

Tags
occupation, retiring, moving, prior, curious

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.