Official roundabout rules, with link

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
You can actually LEGALLY make a right hand turn from the left hand lane. However, LEGAL does not mean it is safe to do so.
I know two people who've had accidents making a right hand turn from the left lane (when the turn is the third exit).
You are right Sue, legal doesn't mean it is safe to do so.
In both cases, the drivers in the right lane that broadsided them were not charged by the police.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Platinum member

It's that time of year, roundabouts, paths all the b----ing starts
Old 11-26-2016, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,915 Times in 4,143 Posts

Like Judge Judy says, "You can't fix stupid"
Old 11-26-2016, 05:45 PM

My rule for roundabouts

do not enter when other cars are present

then drive like hell to my exit

so far it's working good
Old 11-26-2016, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt4Dough View Post
My rule for roundabouts

do not enter when other cars are present

then drive like hell to my exit

so far it's working good
For what, 2 months???? Give it time, and somebody will do something so idiotic that there is no defense that can be planned in advance. My personal favorite---encountering a car driving clockwise in a RB.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
They are now installing roundabouts in other towns and cities across the country. Why? They are safer and move the traffic more efficiently.
That's a fact.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
...and far less efficiently than the roundabouts.
Define "less effective."

In this case, less effective also means fewer accidents.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
They are now installing roundabouts in other towns and cities across the country. Why? They are safer and move the traffic more efficiently.
Quote:
That's a fact.
The effective and (especially) efficient ones are usually quite large -- large enough to handle some pretty heavy traffic.
Those which have been built here are much too small to make traffic flow safely and efficiently.

The real problem is, regardless of how much the topic is talked and written about, 95% of the residents still don't know how to drive them!
They either just don't get it, don't care or are simply scared to death of them.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:19 AM

Here's my favorite roundabout. Oh, wait. It's in Massachusetts, so it's called a rotary. This would be a riot after "happy hour."
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	East Longmeadow Rotary.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	64165  
Old 11-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Define "less effective."

In this case, less effective also means fewer accidents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
The effective and (especially) efficient ones are usually quite large -- large enough to handle some pretty heavy traffic.
Those which have been built here are much too small to make traffic flow safely and efficiently.

The real problem is, regardless of how much the topic is talked and written about, 95% of the residents still don't know how to drive them!
They either just don't get it, don't care or are simply scared to death of them.
Efficient (the word I used) means handles a greater volume of traffic and is also safer. The roundabouts in TV are an appropriate size for the traffic they are asked to handle and are still far more efficient than either stop signs or traffic signals would be at the locations they are implemented.

Replacing all the roundabouts in TV (it's not gonna happen by-the-way) would certainly result in far greater delays and almost as certainly an increase in the number of accidents. This claim is backed up by numerous traffic studies over the years as roundabouts have become more widespread.

Roundabouts are only good at intersections and in areas that meet certain criteria, and the locations in TV where roundabouts have been implemented meet those criteria.

From a more anecdotal perspective, I have been in TV for almost four years now, and I've never witnessed an accident in a roundabout. I've seen a few of the silly, potentially dangerous driver actions of course, but none that couldn't be avoided by adhering to the two most important roundabout driving principles... 1) when approaching a roundabout always yield to traffic in both lanes of the roundabout, and 2) never drive alongside another vehicle when within the roundabout. Obey those two "rules" and the only mistake that can hurt you in the roundabout is one of your own doing.

I will agree with you that many residents, and especially visitors, don't know how to drive the roundabouts. But if you drive according to the two rules listed above, even those drivers' mistakes will be easily avoidable.

By the way, just for the record, during my career I spent roughly thirty years in the field of traffic and transportation. I am a Professional Engineer in the State of Florida and have a Masters Degree in Transportation Engineering from the University of Florida.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 11-28-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
By the way, just for the record, during my career I spent roughly thirty years in the field of traffic and transportation. I am a Professional Engineer in the State of Florida and have a Masters Degree in Transportation Engineering from the University of Florida.
Doesn't matter, people will argue with you anyway
Old 11-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
For what, 2 months???? Give it time, and somebody will do something so idiotic that there is no defense that can be planned in advance. My personal favorite---encountering a car driving clockwise in a RB.
I haven't experienced wrong-way driving in a roundabout, but my husband has.
The driver going the wrong way shook her fist at him.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Sage

Yes, that is the situation you must watch out for. I have had a couple of close calls myself when I have been in the right lane. Only enter a roundabout when there will be no cars adjacent to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I know two people who've had accidents making a right hand turn from the left lane (when the turn is the third exit).
You are right Sue, legal doesn't mean it is safe to do so.
In both cases, the drivers in the right lane that broadsided them were not charged by the police.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran member

Whenever I am in a round about I assume that anyone anywhere near me is a potential accident waiting to happen so I watch them all very carefully. I've seen plenty of stupid things happen but so far I have remained accident free. (knock on wood).
Old 11-27-2016, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
Whenever I am in a round about I assume that anyone anywhere near me is a potential accident waiting to happen so I watch them all very carefully.
The Golden Rule of roundabouts.
Closed Thread

Tags
lane, roundabout, intend, rules, official

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.