Official roundabout rules, with link

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2016, 09:26 PM
Arrow Official roundabout rules, with link

OFFICIAL ROUNDABOUT RULES, WITH LINK:

Choose your lane:

Approaching a two lane roundabout, make a lane choice according to the following rules:

• If you intend to exit the roundabout more than halfway around, use the LEFT-HAND lane.

• If you intend to exit the roundabout less than halfway around, use the RIGHT-HAND lane.

• If you intend to continue straight through, use either lane unless signs or markings indicate otherwise.

http://www.districtgov.org/community...t-02-08-12.pdf
Old 11-25-2016, 10:43 PM

I get lost in roundabouts

I'll be in the 2017 Yamaha with bummers
Old 11-25-2016, 11:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

I add my opinion, some can disagree ICCL.

* use your blinker light, even it you exit the first exit, so the cars waiting to enter the roundabout know your intensions. Plus cart path golf carts/bikers/walkers know your intentions.
* yield to traffic in the roundabout. if Clear DON"T STOP THERE is NO STOP SIGN ENTERING ROUNDABOUT, its a yield sign. which means if coast clear you don't have to stop, Now 4 way stop requires you to stop behind/at the stop sign before your inline.
* Don't enter the right lane switch to left lane and exit in the right going straight through just because its short and you don't have to turn your steering wheel as far. there may be some in you blind spot
* Best not to have car beside you in the left lane while going through roundabout, not all cars exit at the first exit. car or truck ahead in roundabout has the right way, that's why you don't want to be beside them.
* use your blinker, USE YOUR BLINKER, can't say this enough.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:26 AM
Veteran member
Angry Those Killer Circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post

Choose your lane:
Approaching a two lane roundabout, make a lane choice according to the following rules:
• If you intend to exit the roundabout more than halfway around, use the LEFT-HAND lane.
• If you intend to exit the roundabout less than halfway around, use the RIGHT-HAND lane.
• If you intend to continue straight through, use either lane unless signs or markings indicate otherwise.
An age old Villages' conundrum. The damn circles should have never been built!
When Mr. Schwartz originally built, please notice that there weren't any.
Also note that there are far fewer accidents north of 466, where there aren't any circles on Morse. The stop signs work perfectly.
No one knows how to drive them, the dotted lines belie what the signs say, they kill your tires,
the stop-and-go plays havoc on your gas usage and they are too small in circumference to improve the flow of traffic.

I rest my case.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:47 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Roundabouts are nothing but a traffic light replacement and work EXACTLY the same way.

If you wanted to turn right at a traffic light, you would make that lane choice before getting there and come at it from the right hand lane. You would also yield to anyone already in the traffic flow.

If you wanted to turn left at a traffic light you would make that lane choice before getting there and come at it from the left hand lane.

If you were planning to go straight through you would use either lane.

Traffic light and roundabout work the same.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:02 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I add my opinion, some can disagree ICCL.

* use your blinker light, even it you exit the first exit, so the cars waiting to enter the roundabout know your intensions. Plus cart path golf carts/bikers/walkers know your intentions.
* yield to traffic in the roundabout. if Clear DON"T STOP THERE is NO STOP SIGN ENTERING ROUNDABOUT, its a yield sign. which means if coast clear you don't have to stop, Now 4 way stop requires you to stop behind/at the stop sign before your inline.
* Don't enter the right lane switch to left lane and exit in the right going straight through just because its short and you don't have to turn your steering wheel as far. there may be some in you blind spot
* Best not to have car beside you in the left lane while going through roundabout, not all cars exit at the first exit. car or truck ahead in roundabout has the right way, that's why you don't want to be beside them.
* use your blinker, USE YOUR BLINKER, can't say this enough.
Well done easily understood

thanks
Old 11-26-2016, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

I would just add that the yield sign at the RB entrance means YIELD, to BOTH lanes, or you might have a nasty surprise at the first exit (you going straight in R lane and the inner lane vehicle going to YOUR first exit, which is straight for him from his point of entry)
Old 11-26-2016, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post

Choose your lane:

http://www.districtgov.org/community...t-02-08-12.pdf
While I applaud your intent, most of the ones who need to know this will either never see it...or ignore it.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
While I applaud your intent, most of the ones who need to know this will either never see it...or ignore it.
I tend to agree. It's not like this hasn't been posted about a zillion times before
Old 11-26-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Roundabouts are nothing but a traffic light replacement and work EXACTLY the same way.

Exactly. If you wanted to turn right at a traffic light, you would make that lane choice before getting there and come at it from the right hand lane. You would also yield to anyone already in the traffic flow.

If you wanted to turn left at a traffic light you would make that lane choice before getting there and come at it from the left hand lane.

If you were planning to go straight through you would use either lane.

Traffic light and roundabout work the same.
Why is this so hard to understand? At a traffic light, would you turn left from the right lane? No. Would you turn right from the left lane? Of course not. Would you pull out in front of cross traffic? Again, no. A roundabout changes nothing. Nothing. And yet, there are many who insist it is "safer" to navigate in the outside lane, no matter what. Sigh. Just do it right and remain very observant of cars around you. Always assume the car next to you is oblivious.

Last edited by vorage; 11-26-2016 at 08:13 AM. Reason: edit
Old 11-26-2016, 09:06 AM
Sage
Default Official roundabout rules, with link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
...The damn circles should have never been built!

...The stop signs work perfectly...
...and far less efficiently than the roundabouts.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:23 AM
Gold member
Default fOR MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorage View Post
Why is this so hard to understand? At a traffic light, would you turn left from the right lane? No. Would you turn right from the left lane? Of course not. Would you pull out in front of cross traffic? Again, no. A roundabout changes nothing. Nothing. And yet, there are many who insist it is "safer" to navigate in the outside lane, no matter what. Sigh. Just do it right and remain very observant of cars around you. Always assume the car next to you is oblivious.
These posts show that people are mostly confused.
YOU CAN READ THAT AS MOST OF US REALIZE THAT THE TRAFFIC CIRCLES ARE DANGEROUS.

You can actually LEGALLY make a right hand turn from the left hand lane. However, LEGAL does not mean it is safe to do so.

The person in the traffic circle has the right of way over people trying to enter. You must assume the person trying to enter KNOWS THIS, SEES YOU, CARES WHAT YOUR RIGHTS ARE. You dare not slow down for the other person THINKS you are INCORRECTLY yielding to them.

You need to THINK FOR OTHERS. I will not allow anyone to drive through the traffic circle next to me. First I cannot tell if you know I am there and secondly you are blocking my way to avoid an accident if someone incorrectly decides to enter the round a bout.

MY DAD TAUGHT ME TO DRIVE. SIMPLE RULE, EXPECT THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU TO DO THE STUPIDEST POSSIBLE THING BECAUSE THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO DO.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
...I will not allow anyone to drive through the traffic circle next to me...
I don't understand why you think roundabouts are so dangerous then. You are obeying what is imo the single most important rule of roundabout driving. Keep doing that and you will be just fine.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Veteran member

Better yet, owners of rental homes should send round about safety rules and golf car safety to renters BEFORE they come to the Villages. We always sent them to our renters and visitors and they have all been very appreciative.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:55 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

They are now installing roundabouts in other towns and cities across the country. Why? They are safer and move the traffic more efficiently.

Tags
lane, roundabout, intend, rules, official

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.