Oh where, Oh where is the Post Office???

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Default Oh where, Oh where is the Post Office???

Absolutely ridiculous, one old broken down Post Office for the entire Villages. I'm from an area in New York where Post Offices are found with area populations of a few hundred residents. I realize that this situation is somewhat ludicrous, however, with well over 80,000 residents, and growing everyday, another one or even two Post Offices would be nice.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Sage

Lots of post offices in the area - plenty to pick-and-choose from depending on where you live. Here's a recent thread on the topic:

Local Post office?

Bill
Old 03-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Gold member

Maybe thats why they are closing so many post offices. You say in New York areas with a few hundred have Post Offices.Not sure anyone else only go handful of times per year. Fine with me.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladila2 View Post
Absolutely ridiculous, one old broken down Post Office for the entire Villages. I'm from an area in New York where Post Offices are found with area populations of a few hundred residents. I realize that this situation is somewhat ludicrous, however, with well over 80,000 residents, and growing everyday, another one or even two Post Offices would be nice.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for IMPROVEMENTS with the Post Office, but rather CUTS in service. With my own local post office, we have already seen a cut from 2 clerks to 1, and just that has created a negative impact. A couple of weeks ago, I was on a seemingly short line at the desk, while one person spent a good 15 minutes arguing with the clerk about some issue with her PO box service, while the line just kept getting longer.

I have a feeling that things are not going to get better.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Default Mobile post office in Sweetbay parking lot

I drove my Sweetbay's yesterday (Tuesday) and the mobile post office truck was back in the parking lot. Last week news was spreading on TOTV the truck was no longer present. FYI- in the past the truck hours have been 10 -2 on Tuesday's and Thursdays. You can purchases stamps, money orders and ship packages small enough to fit through the opening. It is very convenient. Another choice is the Oxford Post office off 301.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Default We use Oxford PO on 301

Quote:
Depending on your location, not sure how far this is from you ... we use the Oxford post office on 301... just around the corner from 466 (west side, just past Walmart, etc.).

If you use prepaid postal labels that you can buy/print online, be sure you don't use the 32162 zip code, as the zip would have to be Oxford's as the 'from' destination for scanning.

I'm told here's also a newer one in Lady Lakes. Doubt the US Postal budget has extra funding at this point, but certainly agree that at least one more in the future would be great!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:

Here are the PO's in the area......................not really absolutely ridiculous.

850 TEAGUE TRL
LADY LAKE, FL 32159-99980.

23 LAGRANDE BLVD
LADY LAKE, FL 32159-1344 32159 1344
1***144

3974 COUNTY ROAD 201
OXFORD, FL 34484-2801

104 W MILLER ST
FRUITLAND PARK, FL 34731-9998
Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Another

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Here are the PO's in the area......................not really absolutely ridiculous.

850 TEAGUE TRL

23 LAGRANDE BLVD
1***144

3974 COUNTY ROAD 201
OXFORD, FL 34484-2801

104 W MILLER ST
Lets not foget the Wildwood Post Office
301 S/o 466a They're really quite good there
Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The Post office is bankrupt.. billions in debt.. they either have to reduce services, reduce costs (wages), or raise prices, and probably all three. E communication is destroying their "business model".
JJ
Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
The Post office is bankrupt.. billions in debt.. they either have to reduce services, reduce costs (wages), or raise prices, and probably all three. E communication is destroying their "business model".
JJ
Correct on all counts, IMO.

Last thing I heard was 50 cent first class postage at the next increase.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:

850 TEAGUE TRL

23 LAGRANDE BLVD
1***144

3974 COUNTY ROAD 201
OXFORD, FL 34484-2801

104 W MILLER ST
For those who live in The Villages in Marion County, don't forget the Post Office off Route 301 in Summerfield.

Xavier
Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
Correct on all counts, IMO.

Last thing I heard was 50 cent first class postage at the next increase.
Yep... 50 cents and fewer customers.. going downhill and picking up speed.
JJ
Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Sage

The southern half of TV really does not have a post office....for 45,000+ residents here, and when I drive to Fruitland Park, Oxford or Lady Lake P.O.'s, it's always the same thing: lines out the door that do not move because there is one worker (Oxford) and people stand up there and have conversations, making others wait.....OR they stand in line only to hand the worker their daily outgoing mail because they don't use the drop box!

We only go to the P.O. when we need to weigh a package and get its postage, or if we have something that needs to go out that day, not the next and all other mail pickups are done (too early) for the day.

Everywhere else in the country, the post offices have Automated Postal Centers (APC) in the lobby, to alleviate the lines to the counter. Almost everything postal can be done at the machine, using a debit or credit card.

But none of the post offices have this here......they make you stand in long lines just to weigh a package and get its postage, or to buy Priority postage so you can send it that day, not the next!

This is what an APC looks like:
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/adamh...ster_Texas.jpg

Quote:
What Can an APC do?

As an ATM is virtually a stand-alone bank, an Automated Postal Center is virtually a stand-alone Post Office™:

APCs can do most of the transactions normally handled at the retail window APCs provide extensive mailing information along with ZIP Code lookup.

Using debit and credit cards, APCs enable customers to weigh and mail letters and parcels.

APCs dispense dollar bill sized sheets of 18 self-adhesive First-Class Mail stamps

They also dispense postage strips in any amount for mailing Express Mail, Priority Mail, First-Class Mail, and Parcel Post items.

What is an APC not able to do?

An Automated Postal Center cannot handle face-to-face transactions such as mailing items to other countries, since the majority of these items require customs forms and the contents are subject to host country restrictions. Examples of other services requiring face-to-face transactions include:
Registered Mail service
Insurance over $5,000.00 (Requires Registered Mail Service)
Money orders
Passports
Retail and Philatelic purchases

How an Automated Postal Center Works

The APC uses a touch screen and numeric keypad for customers to select products and services and receive postal information.

For the visually impaired, there is a headphone jack to enable you to listen to service options and large touch-screen buttons to select service options and obtain information.

Just follow the prompts on the touch screen from start to finish.

APCs accept both credit and debit cards:

When using credit cards you can pay for all items at checkout - just like in a grocery store. Banking restrictions related to debit cards require that each purchase is conducted on a pay as you go basis.

What are the advantages of an APC?

They help provide service quicker during busy periods and provide customers with unassisted access to the most frequently requested postal products and services.

In many locations, APCs are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Making services available when customers want to do business with the Postal Service™ improves customer service.
http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usp...Q&view%28%29=c[c_usps0809122]&varset%28source%29=sourceType:embedded#Capabiliti es

When I wrote an email to USPS telling them of the need for the APC's here, they basically said that in our area, "people wouldn't use them". Translation: "old people" prefer to go to the window and talk to the worker, and they wouldn't use debit or credit cards at an APC".

Maybe if we all write and tell them we're in the modern age of computers and debit cards, they'd install them.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:

850 TEAGUE TRL

23 LAGRANDE BLVD
1***144

3974 COUNTY ROAD 201
OXFORD, FL 34484-2801

104 W MILLER ST
I live in Marion county. Let's not forget the one in Weirsdale

13595 SE Highway 42
Weirsdale, Fl 32195

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Sage
Default going postal at the post office

I am a little worried about not having a full service PO near by Sanibel. We mail a lot and I can't imagine wasting my time standing in line with one postal worker on duty to mail a package. I can see myself getting a little, or a lot, irritated.

Where I currently live, there are 2, full service post offices to choose from. One less than a mile away and the other about 3 miles away. I know the postal service is going down hill but I think the lack of service is going to make a few people angry.....how can I get angry with a name of "Happinow"?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.