Oil Changes

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Default Oil Changes

Does anyone know of a good oil change business for your car? I looked into services, but I did not see anything there.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Sage

I use the "Tire Choice" shop up near Walmart on 466....they usually have coupons in the Sunday paper and you can get an oil change (sometimes including tire rotation) for less than $20.

Not sure how "good" they are ... but, they seem to do a decent job and don't push a lot of extra work on you.

They take appointments and have free wi-fi (bring your own computer) in their waiting area.

I originally used the Texaco Lube Express on 441 north of the Villages near Baylee plaza ... I found they recommended a lot of unnecessary work and did not feel confident or trusting in using them again.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Sage

Beachgirl,

Walmart on 44l does oil changes inexpensively. Im not sure about the Walmart on 466, give them a call.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Default Oil changes

When I lived in the Villages I used Wall Mart on 441. They always done a great job .When I moved to Georgia I still use Wally World I find that the Dealerships can really rip you off with their High Prices. Good Luck
Old 05-09-2009, 10:42 PM

I have used the Goodyear place over on 441 near Home Depot & Sam's. They take appts and are reasonable.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Sage

Stay away from the Texaco Oil changer place on 441 North of TV.

Wal-mart's not too bad for an oil change but don't take a tire with a slow leak to them, they'll never find it and you end up with a flat in your garage.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 AM
Default Tire Choice

We use Tire Choice near Walmart too and have been very happy with them.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:39 AM
Administrator

I learned a little about quickie oil change places here in the north where I live. I would imagine it is the same everywhere.

Let me start by reporting that I have a favored mechanic I have gone to for 30 years. We are friends now, and socialize. Yet I have strayed a couple times to get a quickie oil change at a national place.

One time I went to the " premiere" quickie place in town, the one recommended by "knowledgeable" tire shops who I trust for tires. The premiere oil change guys told me I should be careful about going to Walmart. I said I have never been to Walmart for oil change. He showed me the oil filter he just took from my car. It was from Walmart. It wasn't the national brand touted by the other quickie place.

The other quickie place used that instead of the products they advertise. I don't know whether Walmart filters are good or bad. I just know I did not get what I paid for. I went back to the place when I stopped next door for coffee one time and the manager was enraged I would say that, even after I told him I saw the filter myself as it came from my engine.

Last week, I returned for my oil change to my friend. He looked through a book and went digging for the oil. I asked him at this point why his price is higher than the quickie places. (I had to confess.) He explained that the quickies did not use the proper synthetic oil the manufacturer recommends, and that using the wrong oil could possibly void my warranty. He shook his head and said, "I thought you would know better. You get what you pay for."

It really wasn't price for me, it was the quickie convenience.

Whether these places voided my warranty or not is moot; it has run out.

What sticks with me is that neither quickie place offered me the higher priced synthetic oil my car required. It's not a fancy car. It's only a Jeep.

Ask your dealer what oil the manufacturer requires, then ask your oil change place what they will be using.

And you know, I do have a latent distrust of places that have a man in the pit under a car drain the oil, and a man stick a hose in the top of the car and refill it. I can't see the draining, nor can I see the oil going in. Such a cynic I am.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Veteran member
Default Very true

Tony:

Just as Important as the oil they use is also the oil filter they use. Most quickie places and Walmart use the Orange filter you know sounds like Tram.
Well I researched this subject many times and there Isn't much filtering going on with this make of filter. I have the sites marked on my other PC but I will never use that orange filter. You may as well use toilet paper. I still live up north and perhaps once a year I use the quickie places. I bring my own filter and my own oil and I watch to make sure they do use my oil.
Buyer Beware.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks, everyone, for the info.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 AM

Tony makes a good point about the synthetic oil. It's amazing how many cars now use synthetic oil. Many non-luxury vehicles such as my son's Volkswagen and my sister's Mazda use synthetic oil.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Sage

You know, it's funny, I hear some horror stories about some of these places yet my experience is completely different.

I have gone to the same 'quickie' place (albeit not a national chain) for 20 years. I take the car(s) every 5,000 miles for oil (regular in my Infiniti and Synthetic for my Honda) and filter. They don't push other products but I do occasionally get a new air filter from them at cheap prices.

My Infiniti has over 160,000 miles without any abnormal problems (knock on some local wood here). My Honda has 120,000 miles, again with no real problems.

I guess everyone has different experiences.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Default I agree

I too have used the "Orange" (Fram) Filter from WalMart and have used the Castorl 20/50 oil and have almost 170,000 miles on my 1997 Buick LeSabre. Also all that talk about oil changes every 3000 is BS as I get my oil changed every 5000 and feel it is a waste of $$ for snythetic oil as it may last longer but just how many engines have you had trouble with because of "oil changes" as most of you rich(er) Villagers trade your cars before they get anywhere close to 160,000 miles.

Bottom line.... Pay $40 at most places or even twice as much for synthetic or save your kids inheritance and get a "regular" oil change every 5000 miles. Me, I'll stick with the $20 oil change every 5000 miles. My last car also a Buick had 185,000 before I sold it.

Again.... just how many times have you had trouble with oil... changed regularly? There's a person on every corner.... ready to scam you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
You know, it's funny, I hear some horror stories about some of these places yet my experience is completely different.

I have gone to the same 'quickie' place (albeit not a national chain) for 20 years. I take the car(s) every 5,000 miles for oil (regular in my Infiniti and Synthetic for my Honda) and filter. They don't push other products but I do occasionally get a new air filter from them at cheap prices.

My Infiniti has over 160,000 miles without any abnormal problems (knock on some local wood here). My Honda has 120,000 miles, again with no real problems.

I guess everyone has different experiences.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Sage

Agreed but the only thing I'm not sure of is: Can you go from synthetic to regular? I know you can go the other way but my Honda came with syn and they only recommend 10K between.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Default An interesting article

Found this article that might help in answering your questions

http://autos.aol.com/article/oil-change-intervals

Last edited by ChattanoogaTn; 05-19-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.