One Less Snowbird

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2015, 05:51 AM
Veteran member
Default One Less Snowbird

We left TV four days ago so that should help the congestion. Having sold our piece of 'paradise' in Costa Maya, Mexico, we traded serenity for civilization. But, being here in the Florida Keys is no less congested...bumper to bumper. This fall we're returning to TV for six months from rural Minnesota. I really appreciate that our rental is in the far north. I'm hoping that come next February and beyond that we can at least get tee times...we'll see..HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 01-04-2015, 06:54 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Hurry back! Most of us love the snowbirds. They bring a cheerfulness and vitality that is a joy to behold. We frogs sometimes take our place in the sun for granted. Nothing like seeing smiling, waving people to remind us how great this place is. To me, that alone is worth the extra traffic and waiting times. So, thank you for being a snowbird and liking us enough to come back, even when we are curmudgeons.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-04-2015, 07:17 AM
Platinum member

Fly birdie fly

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 01-04-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Hurry back! Most of us love the snowbirds. They bring a cheerfulness and vitality that is a joy to behold. We frogs sometimes take our place in the sun for granted. Nothing like seeing smiling, waving people to remind us how great this place is. To me, that alone is worth the extra traffic and waiting times. So, thank you for being a snowbird and liking us enough to come back, even when we are curmudgeons.
100% agree. I feel seasonal residents bring an infusion of freshness to The Villages. Thanks and welcome back.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

This is our first year we are full time and love the vitality that TV has right now. The squares are filled with happy, smiling folks.

And I will love when it slows down as well.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

you will not have a problem with getting a t time unless you are asking for a specific golf course at a specific time.

If you give a range of times and remain open to the course you will not have a problem.

Ten years and counting and have never not been able to get a t time....no matter the time of the year.

Also if you choose to drive when school is in session and when most of the world is at work there is little or no traffic congestion. Avoid rush hours in major population centers.

Travel when most others don't.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
you will not have a problem with getting a t time unless you are asking for a specific golf course at a specific time.

If you give a range of times and remain open to the course you will not have a problem.

Ten years and counting and have never not been able to get a t time....no matter the time of the year.

Also if you choose to drive when school is in session and when most of the world is at work there is little or no traffic congestion. Avoid rush hours in major population centers.

Travel when most others don't.
I have had the same experience as BTK. A little planning GOS a long way.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Veteran member

Got it! Nap during rush hour! We'd often golf around Walnut Grove which by 3pm was open. Down by Eisenhower was a different story..
Old 01-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,364 Times in 2,083 Posts

I lived in Minneapolis-- near Dinkytown or at Middlebrook Hall on the U of MN Campus-- from the late Summer of 1986 through November of 1991. I sure do not miss that cold and from what I understand the Cities are usually hotter than other areas in MN because of all that concrete. And, the U of MN is riddled with tunnels.

I do know that there are Minnesotans who love the various winter sports--ice skating, hockey, snowmobiling, sledding, cross country skiing, hunting, etc.

Are not snowbirds though supposed to move AWAY from the snow?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

We live up by Detroit Lakes just east of Fargo...a zone or two colder than the zits. Last winter Big Cormorant Lake where we reside had 48" of ICE! 84 now Key Largo!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

Hey Greg. Now just what sidewinder of a varmint blabbed about the 'far north?' Shhhhh!

Hurry on back.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Sage

It will never change. My family and I moved to S. Florida in 1953 and it is always congested in the winter due to tourist and snow birds. Back in the 40's and 50's the summer was so slow that most hotels and restaurants on Miami Beach closed for the summer. It was many years later that they began to promote Miami summers with bargain deals and the summer started to open up.
Of course once the winter began the prices went through the roof and the tourist were gouged if they were wanting to escape the miserable weather up north.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
We left TV four days ago so that should help the congestion. Having sold our piece of 'paradise' in Costa Maya, Mexico, we traded serenity for civilization. But, being here in the Florida Keys is no less congested...bumper to bumper. This fall we're returning to TV for six months from rural Minnesota. I really appreciate that our rental is in the far north. I'm hoping that come next February and beyond that we can at least get tee times...we'll see..HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Not too many tee times available in northern MN where it's -5 air temp and -30 wind chill factor.

Be thankful for what we have here. Sunshine and smiling faces of snowbirds--recalling the bitter cold and gigantic fuel bills and ice to chop in the driveway--make life sweet here. Life could be a whole lot worse.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
This is our first year we are full time and love the vitality that TV has right now. The squares are filled with happy, smiling folks.

And I will love when it slows down as well.
With the exception of those who can't get a seat
because someone reserved a row of seats
two hours ago and still isn't there.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.