One person's golf cart speeding ticket story

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I did a test tonight when picking up dinner. We headed south on Odell (between Mallory and Havana) starting at Stillwater . There are two pretty good downhill stretches.

I was in a cart that is built to not exceed 20 MPH, but it is a series motor, so no regen breaking and it rolls free. At the top of the each down hill I was going 19ish. At the crest I let off the go pedal and coasted. On both hills I reached a speed of 23ish.

I suspect if I had pedal to the medal it would be much faster down the hill. If you have that type of car and I see many older Club Cars out there, sounds like you need to be aware of your speed downhill even if the cart if built to only go 19ish.
Mine tops out at 38mph.....going uphill.

The biggest problem being......the noise emanating from the seat area.

It seems when I pop a wheelie cresting a hill.....my wife starts screaming.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Gold member

That pedal on the right is the accelerator. Take your foot off it and the cart goes slower. And the one on the left? It's the brake and it slows you down. Anyone doing 29 in a golf cart needs to know these things.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:58 PM

Florida seems to be its own country!! Hope I don't get a knock on my door.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I wonder if that LSV was one that received Marlene O'Toole's insurance waiver?

It appears to me that a large percentage of the golf carts and especially the gas golf carts exceed 19.9 and go upward to 25mph. Some go much faster.

It also appears that the owners of those faux LSV's are not members of TOTV and they have either don't know or don't care about the possibility of being issued a ticket.

I try and find the good in all things and guess the benefit of many fast moving carts is that our pathways don't get clogged up.

I was an offender once and got religion and now I am a 19.9 mph kind of guy.

I will make one personal disclosure...A guy yelled at me the other day that my right mechanical signal was on. I yelled back, I know. I want to see how long it will operate on its own. Sorry now for being a nudge

P.S. I believe that while a person gets a ticket for 23mph the cart actually goes much faster and perhaps the sheriff tested that issue?????
Old 07-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I wonder if that LSV was one that received Marlene O'Toole's insurance waiver?

It appears to me that a large percentage of the golf carts and especially the gas golf carts exceed 19.9 and go upward to 25mph. Some go much faster.

It also appears that the owners of those faux LSV's are not members of TOTV and they have either don't know or don't care about the possibility of being issued a ticket.

I try and find the good in all things and guess the benefit of many fast moving carts is that our pathways don't get clogged up.

I was an offender once and got religion and now I am a 19.9 mph kind of guy.

I will make one personal disclosure...A guy yelled at me the other day that my right mechanical signal was on. I yelled back, I know. I want to see how long it will operate on its own. Sorry now for being a nudge

P.S. I believe that while a person gets a ticket for 23mph the cart actually goes much faster and perhaps the sheriff tested that issue?????
I was the OP (many months ago), and I can attest to the fact that my friend's golf cart no longer has the ability to exceed 19.9. Live and learn... albeit some of life's learning experiences are a bit pricier than others.

As for the turn signal thing--tsk, tsk, Rubicon! Funny answer! But it's a little nerve-wracking to be behind a cart with left turn signal flashing. Did they forget? Do they mean it? You could take a chance and pass, but...
Old 07-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I forgot to add that my friend was going down a hill when she was clocked at 29. I have no idea what kind of speed you can pick up going down a hill in a golf cart, and it doesn't have a speedometer. Not trying to defend speeding in a golf cart. I imagine you would know or feel that you are over the speed limit.
I clocked a golf cart going 30 m.p.h. on a level road so I know that some of them are capable of going that fast
Old 07-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Veteran member

I have a gas golf cart and when I am going down hill the cart doesn't increase in speed but seems to maintain its top governed speed even with the pedal to the metal the motor is not running anymore. It feels the same to me as when you are going down hill in a car with the cruise on, the car doesn't accelerate but maintains the cruise controlled speed that is set.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Sage

We have an LSV...I've had gas carts pass me when I've been on the flat going "rabbit speed"!!

I've been in my SUV on Stillwater and "clocked" a gas cart not an LSV) that was going at least 30 mph if not a bit more.

There was an article in today's Sun about golf-cart safety as well as The Villages Magazine that came out earlier this week.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

There is a very steep hill on Stillwater going north from Odell. I can see how easily your cart could be over the speed limit going down that hill. It seems to me that a Deputy should have something "better" to do than giving out speeding tickets to Village residents going downhill in a golf cart. This is what I call a "speed trap" and IMHO it's over the top aggressive police behavior. I have no problem with Deputies clocking Carts on a flat surface roadway---and if going 25mph or more give a ticket----under 25 a warning ticket for first offense. No disrespect but a little common sense goes a long way.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:06 PM

Justjim,
I am someone who has a cart that goes faster than 19.9 mph. I choose to do this because I like the ability to have more power/ speed if I need it. Rarely do I do more than 20-21. I dont care what others think of what I should or shouldnt do. I know the consequences. When my cart was in the original condition it would not go faster than 20 even down hill. The SCSO are not looking so much for speeding as they are for the bigger or larger fine of having a non registered motor vehicle which is a cart when it goes over 20 mph. So letting someone go if they r doing 22-23 is still a violation of law as it is now a non registered motor vehicle rather than a golf cart. Why do I choose to run this risk? The same reason I guess that everyone who drives down Morse or Buena Vista faster than 35 and faster than 30 on Odell or Bonita or those who go out and drink every night and drive their carts or cars home and are legally drunk.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:15 AM
Default Well Spoken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
Justjim,
I am someone who has a cart that goes faster than 19.9 mph. I choose to do this because I like the ability to have more power/ speed if I need it. Rarely do I do more than 20-21. I dont care what others think of what I should or shouldnt do. I know the consequences. When my cart was in the original condition it would not go faster than 20 even down hill. The SCSO are not looking so much for speeding as they are for the bigger or larger fine of having a non registered motor vehicle which is a cart when it goes over 20 mph. So letting someone go if they r doing 22-23 is still a violation of law as it is now a non registered motor vehicle rather than a golf cart. Why do I choose to run this risk? The same reason I guess that everyone who drives down Morse or Buena Vista faster than 35 and faster than 30 on Odell or Bonita or those who go out and drink every night and drive their carts or cars home and are legally drunk.
I AGREE! I'm an adult so I'll pay the fines for doing the crime! I feel the need for speed! I don't own a cart but when I rent one I ask for a fast one!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:09 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I was the OP (many months ago), and I can attest to the fact that my friend's golf cart no longer has the ability to exceed 19.9. Live and learn... albeit some of life's learning experiences are a bit pricier than others.

As for the turn signal thing--tsk, tsk, Rubicon! Funny answer! But it's a little nerve-wracking to be behind a cart with left turn signal flashing. Did they forget? Do they mean it? You could take a chance and pass, but...
Hi CFrance: Agree like smoking the worse thing I did but when I quit in 1973 the best thing I did. So too with dropping my speed as it is more relaxing and less of hurting someone, etc.

Also agree regarding signal. I have a Club Car and the mechanical signal is silent. Although I did joke with the guy I also silenced my signal. And I actually do feel badly about it being on unnecessarily
Old 07-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I am an adult and I will go as fast as I want to and I don't care what other people think. Hmmmmm gives one a reason to pause. Well to each his/her own. We are after all..all friends here
Old 07-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
Justjim,
I agree!

Old 07-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Sage
Smile

This morning I clocked an LSV doing 30 on a golf-cart path. Isn't the speed limit supposed to be 20 wherever it's not posted?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.