One person's golf cart speeding ticket story

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
This morning I clocked an LSV doing 30 on a golf-cart path. Isn't the speed limit supposed to be 20 wherever it's not posted?
What are you doing clocking carts???

I thought you were the food police!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
What are you doing clocking carts???

I thought you were the food police!
I thought I saw a bag of fast food on the back of the cart and was ready to make a citizen's arrest on two counts: 1) speeding and 2) nutrition violation

Old 07-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
This morning I clocked an LSV doing 30 on a golf-cart path. Isn't the speed limit supposed to be 20 wherever it's not posted?
What is that and where are they located? I know where Multi-modal / Recreational Trails are .... and I know where "Diamond Lanes" are .... but "golf-cart path" ???
Old 07-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Platinum member

CFrance, thank you for going the extra mile and posting this to help people.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 07-06-2013, 04:57 PM

WOW How many arm chair quarterbacks are there ? Life is about choices you either choose to follow the rules or you don't. Then be adult about dealing with the out come if you make a bad choice. For all the arm chair quarterbacks did you ever go over the speed limit in your car ?
Old 07-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfinger2 View Post
WOW How many arm chair quarterbacks are there ? Life is about choices you either choose to follow the rules or you don't. Then be adult about dealing with the out come if you make a bad choice. For all the arm chair quarterbacks did you ever go over the speed limit in your car ?
Those "bad choices" can adversly affect others. If some moron is speeding at 30 mph to pass my cart which is going 19.5 and suddenly swerves back into my cart, I am going to be affected by his stupidity. Sure, he will be cited by the police, pay a large fine, and he will be sued by me - but I will still have been injured by someone who just wanted to pursue his own choice of not following the law.

I am afraid your "life is about choices of either following the rules or not" philosophy does not hold water.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonga View Post
florida seems to be its own country!! Hope i don't get a knock on my door.

me too!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
Justjim,
I am someone who has a cart that goes faster than 19.9 mph. I choose to do this because I like the ability to have more power/ speed if I need it. Rarely do I do more than 20-21. I dont care what others think of what I should or shouldnt do. I know the consequences. When my cart was in the original condition it would not go faster than 20 even down hill. The SCSO are not looking so much for speeding as they are for the bigger or larger fine of having a non registered motor vehicle which is a cart when it goes over 20 mph. So letting someone go if they r doing 22-23 is still a violation of law as it is now a non registered motor vehicle rather than a golf cart. Why do I choose to run this risk? The same reason I guess that everyone who drives down Morse or Buena Vista faster than 35 and faster than 30 on Odell or Bonita or those who go out and drink every night and drive their carts or cars home and are legally drunk.
Anyone operating a "golf cart" that can exceed 20 mph should either have no assets or a ton of assets. You are basically self insuring yourself regarding liability from an incident involving such a vehicle. Those with a ton of assets will not mind the self insurance, those with no assets have nothing to loose. It's those who have a moderate net worth that will suffer tremendously when your 20+ mph vehicle taps a pedestrian at a town square going 5 mph and that pedestrian falls and breaks a bone and sues you for everything you're worth. Since your vehicle can go faster than 20 mph, even if you thought you had insurance your company will be glad to inform you that the insurance you thought you had does not cover a vehicle that can exceed 20 mph. Your on your own with regard to the lawsuit. But it is worth it as you will get to where you are going at least 2 or 3 minutes faster than a legal cart. Good luck to all the self insurers, you may/will need it some day.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
Anyone operating a "golf cart" that can exceed 20 mph should either have no assets or a ton of assets. You are basically self insuring yourself regarding liability from an incident involving such a vehicle. Those with a ton of assets will not mind the self insurance, those with no assets have nothing to loose. It's those who have a moderate net worth that will suffer tremendously when your 20+ mph vehicle taps a pedestrian at a town square going 5 mph and that pedestrian falls and breaks a bone and sues you for everything you're worth. Since your vehicle can go faster than 20 mph, even if you thought you had insurance your company will be glad to inform you that the insurance you thought you had does not cover a vehicle that can exceed 20 mph. Your on your own with regard to the lawsuit. But it is worth it as you will get to where you are going at least 2 or 3 minutes faster than a legal cart. Good luck to all the self insurers, you may/will need it some day.
Actually, the Florida 5th Court of Appeals overturned a decision a few days ago. The insurance company is responsible for damages caused by a "souped up" cart. The article was in either Friday's or Saturday's Daily Sun and was on the financial page, I believe.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:29 PM

WOW ..... The arm chair qaurterbacks jump to the glass half empty, yes we are covered with insurance, and you are guessing our cart can go more than 19.5 mph. Then the next jump you go right to anyone who there cart goes over 19.5 is a bad driver. There are several of slow carts and / or cars that pull right out in front of you. So there should be more than enough people to sue if you are not a defensive, cautious driver. And if that glass is still half empty you can choose other options to get around but there are danagers in driving a car, walking, riding a bike, but hey that is just more people to sue ! So life is all good ! !
Old 07-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfinger2 View Post
WOW ..... The arm chair qaurterbacks jump to the glass half empty, yes we are covered with insurance, and you are guessing our cart can go more than 19.5 mph. Then the next jump you go right to anyone who there cart goes over 19.5 is a bad driver. There are several of slow carts and / or cars that pull right out in front of you. So there should be more than enough people to sue if you are not a defensive, cautious driver. And if that glass is still half empty you can choose other options to get around but there are danagers in driving a car, walking, riding a bike, but hey that is just more people to sue ! So life is all good ! !
Hi duckfinger2: I too have full coverage insurance on my golf cart and it can only reach 19.9mph. The reason I have insurance is because of those golf carts that go wee wee wee all the way home. I am not judging them to be bad drivers but 40 years in insurance has taught me what unsafe speed can create and some of those results over the years brought tears to my eyes.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 07-07-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Actually, the Florida 5th Court of Appeals overturned a decision a few days ago. The insurance company is responsible for damages caused by a "souped up" cart. The article was in either Friday's or Saturday's Daily Sun and was on the financial page, I believe.
Now is when the golf cart clauses will start showing up on auto insurance policy quotes and renewals:

Do you own a "golf cart' and use it on public roads?

If so there will be a hefty extra premium or you will need to submit an affidavit to the effect it will not exceed 19.9 MPH and you have it insured as an off road vehicle.

This will be in legalese but it will be coming.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Sage

"If so there will be a hefty extra premium or you will need to submit an affidavit to the effect it will not exceed 19.9 MPH and you have it insured as an off road vehicle."

You are probably right. My cart would have no problem with the 19.9 mph requirement and I do have a separate golf cart insurance policy. I worked too long and too hard to have my savings taken by someone's lawsuit. On the other hand, I can increase my bank account by suing some toad who causes me injury with their negligence on their souped up cart or by letting their grandkids drive unsupervised.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Those "bad choices" can adversly affect others. If some moron is speeding at 30 mph to pass my cart which is going 19.5 and suddenly swerves back into my cart, I am going to be affected by his stupidity. Sure, he will be cited by the police, pay a large fine, and he will be sued by me - but I will still have been injured by someone who just wanted to pursue his own choice of not following the law.

I am afraid your "life is about choices of either following the rules or not" philosophy does not hold water.
Thanks, buggyone, I couldn't have said it better.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.