Ongoing bond assessment

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I would say that might be a good idea but check with a financial advisor.

I bought a re-sale home 3 years ago and it had every extra in it that I could imagine plus a golf course view. The price was negotiable with the owner since he needed money to buy his new place. No construction going on around me. Mature landscaping. Instead of $20,000 bond, it had $1500 left on the bond. Re-sales are always worth checking out before buying a lot in a new section.
I am not sure where you bought but on the north side the bonds were reasonable. Mine was about $6000 when I bought new in 2001.

So it you had $1500 left, it must have been a low bond to begin with.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Veteran member
Default Resale and Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I would say that might be a good idea but check with a financial advisor.

I bought a re-sale home 3 years ago and it had every extra in it that I could imagine plus a golf course view. The price was negotiable with the owner since he needed money to buy his new place. No construction going on around me. Mature landscaping. Instead of $20,000 bond, it had $1500 left on the bond. Re-sales are always worth checking out before buying a lot in a new section.
I look at resales for 2 years but could not find one that met our needs and was less expensive than new. (including the bond cost in the total cost) If you can find one, that is the way to go! IMHO, if you are going to stay in your home 10-11 years, than pay off the bond. If you think you may be changing houses in a couple of years than do not pay off.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I am not sure where you bought but on the north side the bonds were reasonable. Mine was about $6000 when I bought new in 2001.

So it you had $1500 left, it must have been a low bond to begin with.
I am in Glenbrook on Talley Ridge Drive. My house was built in 2002 so I assume the bond was quite low at that time.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Annual maintenance assessments are often a lot less in established neighborhoods also.
We are closing next month on a home in Rio Grande. The bond is paid off. Plus we were advised that since Rio Grande doesn't have a rec. center, the annual maintenance fee will be around $265. So, yes, being in an established neighborhood has it's advantages, plus we have a nice shady oak tree in the front and side yard.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.