Hairline cracks in stucco

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Default Hairline cracks in stucco

My stucco home in TV has numerous hairline cracks in it. One neighbor tells me not to worry about it, that all stucco homes develop them. Another neighbor tells me to brush paint into the cracks to solve it. These cracks are so small that you really couldn't caulk them. Any experience or ideas?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Veteran member

Not ever having a stucco home but having gone through the building of several homes I know that cracks happen. They happen in the foundations and happen in the drywall. It happens because of "settling". I think the previous post on that...you should just do as he said. Also, maybe cracking in stucco happens do to it's drying out.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

Google cracks in stucco homes for lots of answers. Sounds like they are common and are part of ordinary and necessary repair of a stucco home. Do it yourself and know it is done right.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Caulk and then paint them is the best way to handle cracks in stucco. They only become a "potentially' bigger issue if you can place the head of a penny in the crack...thats wider than most settlement cracks and should be looked at professionally.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Sage

Had lots of stucco homes in S. Florida and cracks are inevitable. Had one home that the cracks were large enough to let water in and under the baseboards and soak the carpeting. I sealed the walls with a clear liquid from Sherman Williams that I sprayed on with a garden sprayer. I then painted the house and the leaks stopped. I wouldn't worry about hairline cracks.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Sage

When we sold our 10 YO stucco home in Norcal two years ago the hairline stucco cracks were on the "termite" report and had to be repaired to complete the sale.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.