Opening up a Closed Kitchen

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2021, 09:20 AM

Could you please email before and after pictures. I have a lantana also and was thinking of doing the same. Also would you recommend the company that did the work

Thanks
Wendy
Old 02-27-2021, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I had a wall between the kitchen and dining room removed from my home in Maryland in 2008. The original kitchen was like a small horseshoe, and this 10' island is right where that wall use to be. The refrigerator and cabinets were on the right side of the kitchen. We didn't lose that much cabinet space because the bottom of the island is all new cabinets and the refrigerator we moved to the left side next to the sink.

We ran into problems that you won't face, with a two story home the A/C ducts, five of them, ran through that wall. Those ducts had be rerouted to the other side of the dining room. There was a basement, so the subfloor was removed in the dining room so the A/C mechanic could see where to tie in the new ducts to the trunk line. Also we installed recessed can lights in the kitchen and got rid of the old kitchen light.

Because of all that extra work with the A/C, the subfloor and the demo of the wall and new wood floor installed, it cost about $10,000 do what we wanted. The project was $21,000 total, but that included 1000sf of flooring (bamboo floors), install of flooring on the entire first floor, redoing the electrical, the A/C redo, install cabinets, granite countertops (Santa Cecilia), new appliances (Whirlpool), sink, faucet, backsplash. It did not include the cabinets and hand pulls. The cabinets were high grade self closing and were $6,600 and the handles were $300.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 02-27-2021, 11:00 AM

Thank you all for your great comments! We do love the house and its location. Also that it has a small but useful pool, which was not common with this model -- at least when we were "shopping". As a civil engineer by training, I'm aware of the load-bearing wall issue, but the fact that the model was originally offered with the open kitchen as an option suggests that they are not load-bearing. Great suggestion though, to check with the county.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:44 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Maybe they love the location. Maybe they love everything about the house other than the kitchen being closed off. Maybe they got a great deal on it. All sorts of reasons why they might buy a house that isn't 100% perfect. What house is?

I plan to do some remodeling to both my kitchen and my master bath at some point. Why didn't I buy a house that didn't need remodeling? Because this one had so many things going for it.

To OP: There could be structural issues. (ie The wall you want to remove could be load bearing.) If so, it could be very expensive to do what you want. But it might not be load bearing. Good luck. If you do take down walls please take before and after pics and share with us!

Good luck!

kathy

"All sorts of reasons why they might buy a house that isn't 100% perfect. What house is?"

Well said. Being in the market for a used home, due to preferred locations, we have already accepted the idea that we won't get everything we want in our choice. Knowing that, with proper approval, we have the potential of changing some of those items we may not be in love with, is what makes potential tradeoffs more palatable.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:22 PM
Sage

The real bummer is I really like that round kitchen.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:05 PM

Right - exhaust fans that don't vent to the exterior are just recirculation fans -- pretty much useless.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:16 PM

Thanks John -- right, items like the cupboard handles are often forgotten when estimating the reno. It's also amazing sometimes what is hidden in the walls. The drawings you really want to get before a reno are the "as-built" drawings. Very seldom actually produced (unless you pay the contractor to do them), what they show is what really happened during construction, despite what the designer/engineer planned. Sometimes you just cant run a pipe etc where the drawings indicate. So the as-built drawings are annotated versions of the plans (that are on file with the county) that show what reality dictated needed to happen. Fortunately we are not building a hospital here, its just a couple of walls! Your place looks wonderful. Mike
Old 03-01-2021, 12:17 PM

Right - exhaust fans that don't vent to the exterior are just recirculation fans -- pretty much useless.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:03 PM
Sage

Not that you're far into the details of planning, but the photo of John W.'s kitchen cabinets with the bar pulls made me think of two sources we used in 2016 for the remodel of an old house near TV. We found two great sources: DoorCorner.com and OvisOnline.com for cabinet hardware. So much cheaper and more convenient than we could find locally.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesettles001 View Post
Could you please email before and after pictures. I have a lantana also and was thinking of doing the same. Also would you recommend the company that did the work

Thanks
Wendy
Also with a Lantana and also doing a major kitchen redo......wonder if we can get a group discount

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-01-2021, 08:43 PM
Veteran member

In our old house we did something similar to what John W did in his former home. Our wall was not load bearing and it really opened the kitchen up and made it easy to talk, watch t.v., etc. while I cooked. Our kitchen was a square and it worked out better for our space to have the kitchen stools on the kitchen side of the breakfast bar. We had a license contractor do the work and the contractor was able to tell that the wall was not load bearing. It was definitely worth doing.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:37 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Also with a Lantana and also doing a major kitchen redo......wonder if we can get a group discount
me too HA HA
Old 03-02-2021, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

I removed our old kitchen in our 1989 manufactured home in 2014, in doing so I found most of the floor under the cabinets were rotted out. I replaced everything with 3/4 plywood. Last year I found weak spots in our bedroom and other parts of the house, found out that just about ALL the subfloors were, what I call cardboard, and had to be ripped up and replaced with 3/4 plywood. Those floors were outlawed in the '90s, but many home in the older section of the Villages still have them.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:47 PM

Love to see them please!
Old 03-07-2021, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

We have an open kitchen and wish we didn't. When watching the TV, if someone does something in the kitchen, then the TV needs to be turned up, so we can hear it.

Tags
kitchen, stetson, reno, model, adjoin

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.