Opening up a Closed Kitchen

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2021, 05:18 PM
Default Opening up a Closed Kitchen

We've just bought a Stetson III model with a "Galley Kitchen". That label seems to be code for, "Food should just magically appear at the table and the person preparing it need not be part of any pre-meal conversations unless he or she is shouting".

Ok, that's a bit harsh, but I do the cooking!

We have seen the very similar Amarillo model and the open kitchen with an island is quite appealing. Has anyone done the Stetson (or other) kitchen reno where you take down the kitchen walls that adjoin the living and dining room areas? There are a couple of light switches that would need to be relocated and of course, there will be an impact on the flooring.

If you had a good (or perhaps more important) bad experience with the reno, please share .

Last edited by Maritimer; 02-26-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:07 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Why didn't you just buy one with an open kitchen and save all the work?'
Old 02-26-2021, 07:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Maybe they love the location. Maybe they love everything about the house other than the kitchen being closed off. Maybe they got a great deal on it. All sorts of reasons why they might buy a house that isn't 100% perfect. What house is?

I plan to do some remodeling to both my kitchen and my master bath at some point. Why didn't I buy a house that didn't need remodeling? Because this one had so many things going for it.

To OP: There could be structural issues. (ie The wall you want to remove could be load bearing.) If so, it could be very expensive to do what you want. But it might not be load bearing. Good luck. If you do take down walls please take before and after pics and share with us!

Good luck!

kathy
Old 02-26-2021, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
No idea but that ship seems to have sailed.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
OP stated just bought a Home, not politically correct to insult OP that he made a mistake in buying his home, that needs an upgrade.

OP yes in certain homes the wall can be removed, as long as not load bearing. Moving electrical isn’t a big deal for qualified contractors. Use search engine to get at least 3 estimates for good contractors others have been happy with
Old 02-26-2021, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer View Post
We've just bought a Stetson III model with a "Galley Kitchen". That label seems to be code for, "Food should just magically appear at the table and the person preparing it need not be part of any pre-meal conversations unless he or she is shouting".

Ok, that's a bit harsh, but I do the cooking!

We have seen the very similar Amarillo model and the open kitchen with an island is quite appealing. Has anyone done the Stetson (or other) kitchen reno where you take down the kitchen walls that adjoin the living and dining room areas? There are a couple of light switches that would need to be relocated and of course, there will be an impact on the flooring.

If you had a good (or perhaps more important) bad experience with the reno, please share .
Call Sumter County Building department for a set of house plans, they should be able to email these to you. With these you can determine if any of the walls you want to remove are load bearing. Also these will give you good talking points for the several contractors you will be talking to. As you noted there will be floor concerns, IMHO I would check for matching tile NOW, or make alternative plans for the floor. I agree moving electrical should be easy. Take a look around to see if any water (or gas?) lines may be in the walls. If a sink is in the area, there may be a vent line in the wall, these may be difficult to eliminate, plumbing codes. If your ultimate rearrangement includes moving sink or other devices using water remember these water lines are in the foundation.
Good luck with your project.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:26 AM
Default Complete remodel for open plan for Lantana

We have successfully opened up our lantana for the type of Kitchen concept you are asking about. Very happy with it. If you want to see before and after pictures please let me know.

Viv
Old 02-27-2021, 06:44 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
OP stated just bought a Home, not politically correct to insult OP that he made a mistake in buying his home, that needs an upgrade.

OP yes in certain homes the wall can be removed, as long as not load bearing. Moving electrical isn’t a big deal for qualified contractors. Use search engine to get at least 3 estimates for good contractors others have been happy with
Maybe the OP can answer the question that was not meant to be an insult but a simple question.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:15 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie&Viv View Post
We have successfully opened up our lantana for the type of Kitchen concept you are asking about. Very happy with it. If you want to see before and after pictures please let me know.

Viv
I'd love to see the pics. Removing that wall would be awesome!
Old 02-27-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Maybe they love the location. Maybe they love everything about the house other than the kitchen being closed off. Maybe they got a great deal on it. All sorts of reasons why they might buy a house that isn't 100% perfect. What house is?

I plan to do some remodeling to both my kitchen and my master bath at some point. Why didn't I buy a house that didn't need remodeling? Because this one had so many things going for it.

To OP: There could be structural issues. (ie The wall you want to remove could be load bearing.) If so, it could be very expensive to do what you want. But it might not be load bearing. Good luck. If you do take down walls please take before and after pics and share with us!

Good luck!

kathy
I’ve started this remodel on my sisters manufactured home, it had dated round kitchen, the wall between the living room and kitchen that wasn’t needed was removed. I wanted to do an open LR-DR-Kitchen. The picture shows the kitchen and wall before demolition. It should be finished in 4-5 days. If your not sure hire a contractor before attempting anything like this.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	96984F17-EF62-4BCC-B2DD-95EFA5672209.jpg
Views:	3285
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	88388   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	415D23DB-57EA-4C5E-8A3F-47B8615AB5AA.jpg
Views:	3248
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	88389   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	3190C12A-33C0-4074-88AB-8130259DED4F.jpg
Views:	3247
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	88390   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	BB9644E8-D847-4DC7-B207-32C5FBA25168.jpg
Views:	3240
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	88391   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	E3975536-C6C0-477D-86B2-4AE14044FF7E.jpg
Views:	3257
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	88392  

Old 02-27-2021, 07:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

Are we actually that sensitive to be insulted because someone makes a suggestion.? No one said he made a “mistake”. I guess in todays society we have to pause, pick and choose our words and then be ready to apologize because someone might be offended?
Old 02-27-2021, 08:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Call Sumter County Building department for a set of house plans, they should be able to email these to you. With these you can determine if any of the walls you want to remove are load bearing. Also these will give you good talking points for the several contractors you will be talking to. As you noted there will be floor concerns, IMHO I would check for matching tile NOW, or make alternative plans for the floor. I agree moving electrical should be easy. Take a look around to see if any water (or gas?) lines may be in the walls. If a sink is in the area, there may be a vent line in the wall, these may be difficult to eliminate, plumbing codes. If your ultimate rearrangement includes moving sink or other devices using water remember these water lines are in the foundation.
Good luck with your project.
Load bearing walls can be replaced with a steel column or two and an i-beam or wooden beam, as specified by a structural engineer, but it isn’t cheap. Will you be removing cabinets? A lot of buyers would be unhappy about not having enough cabinets. If you do have to put in posts and a beam, it’s easy to attach cabinets to them, or even open-backed shelves, leaving an area two feet high and the width between the columns for conversation. It’s just harder to see people or watch television from the kitchen. While you are at it, have your contractor install and large but ultra quiet exhaust fan to the outside, whether through the side wall or the roof. My kitchen has a microwave oven above the stove, and while it has an “exhaust fan”, that just blows the air in the cook’s face. It doesn’t exhaust it outside at all. So the smell of cooking broccoli or asparagus is blown all over.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:28 AM

We used Demetri Remodeling for our reno. Extremely good and reasonable. At one time they advertised as the Amarillo King because they remodeled so many Amarillos. They always have an ad in the Daily Sun. They give free estimates.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Sorry I don't have recommendations for you, but absolutely agree about venting the stove to the outside. Don't let them con you into a charcoal filter that won't really do the job of a real fan that vents outside.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:20 AM

It has always been a practice in TV that only outside walls are an issue, you can take down most inside walls.
Closed Thread

Tags
kitchen, stetson, reno, model, adjoin

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.