Attic Storage - Do's and Don'ts

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2022, 05:53 PM
Default Attic Storage - Do's and Don'ts

I'm currently "up north" , and while I'm cleaning out my attic for my TV move, I'd just like to get some recommended rules of thumb from you for what CAN be stored in the attic. My attic never gets boiling hot in the summer, but that's not going to be the case in Florida.

So I'm wondering about the location (if space is available) "closet", "garage" or "attic" for the following:
  • Luggage with plastic wheels (hard plastic or canvas suitcases)
  • Christmas ornaments (wood, glass, plastic)
  • Extra knicknacks (glass, wood)
  • Papers (e.g. CC statements, old legal docs, tax returns)

I'm also guessing that cardboard boxes for storage are not recommended either? Rubbermaid or plastic file boxes are okay?

Many thanks in advance,

Kevin
Old 11-10-2022, 07:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

In New England we cannot put anything with water like a snow globe in the attic as well as no candles etc in the attic as they melt. In Florida you can get away with the snow globes but not the candles etc. We currently don’t really have anything in the attic and keep most things in the closets. That will change some when/if we sell up north but we cannot at this time. We hope to get rid of most things up north is we ever sell. Back to the attic, most things can still go up in the attic and will be fine.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

Just purchased a new home that I will close on in a few weeks - I’m thinking I’m just going to keep my attic clear - as I get older, I don’t want to be going up and down attic stairs and Schleping things up and down. I’m in the process of down-sizing now, and don’t plan to bring a lot of “stuff” with me to TV. Also, I plan to install some garage cabinets to store the few items that I will be taking with me.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:15 PM

I not TV yet,,,,hoping soon (fingers crossed for 2023) but in watching one the 'The Village newcomers' Jerry and Linda I they said they put their luggage in the attic and the little wheel melted. Opps.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

We have all our luggage with hard plastic wheels in the attic for several years and the wheels have been fine. I guess it depends on the quality of the wheel. We have insulation on the ceiling of our attic (silver sheets of some sort) to deflect heat so that keeps our garage a bit cooler than it used to be.

I put everything in the attic with the exception of candles as they will melt.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

I put everything in the attic, I don't have candles. I have increased the attic top venting with static vents by 80% over the standard builder's ventilation, which is the minimum required. I have magic stairs so it's easy access.

I do have wax (for waxing bicycle chains) in the garage and it's never softened.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:58 AM

They do make safe stairs and lifts so you can easily put things into your attic. We just have the aluminum ladder, and it works fine for us. We store our seasonal things, minus candles or anything else that could be adversely affected by the heat. I put a bunch of monster racks up there so we have ample storage even if it is only about 4' tall.... We make use of the space. We also store our luggage up there when its not in use. Coolers, etc... We did invest in solar attic fans, while it keeps the air moving and helps get rid of moisture, not sure it does anything else...
Old 11-11-2022, 08:48 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Christmas Decorations, luggage, etc. in the storage space above the garage are fine. There is a lot of excellent space above our designer model garage. We Currently have a pull down stairs but soon looking into the magic stairs. Residents in “poor health” or over 75 shouldn’t climb the pull down type stairs nor get on the rooftop via a ladder. I personally know two healthy men who were badly injured climbing such ladders. We tend to be “stubborn” about such things as we age and the payback can severely limit our lifestyle forever. Be safe.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:58 AM

you might want to check and see if you have any room to store much at all up there. Our brand new home is a cottage villa and the attic layout does not allow for much storage at all. I have some empty tubs and a few other things up there and that is it. We would not ever need to install attic stairs as we do not have much space to store items up there.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp11364 View Post
I'm currently "up north" , and while I'm cleaning out my attic for my TV move, I'd just like to get some recommended rules of thumb from you for what CAN be stored in the attic. My attic never gets boiling hot in the summer, but that's not going to be the case in Florida.

So I'm wondering about the location (if space is available) "closet", "garage" or "attic" for the following:

I'm also guessing that cardboard boxes for storage are not recommended either? Rubbermaid or plastic file boxes are okay?

Many thanks in advance,

Kevin
I have one good carry-on suitcase I keep in my closet. That’s all. I have a reusable Christmas tree in the attic, but I’m moving to a place with no access. No Christmas ornaments. No extra knickknacks. All my papers are in one 18” deep file drawer. I have a friend who was a consultant in mental health for twenty years and brought down several big file cabinets. Last year she had it all shredded. Most “attics” don’t have ladders or flooring! There are no basements. Garages are very hot and humid.
Old 11-12-2022, 08:06 AM
Sage

Been here over a decade. We do have those plastic bins up there. Most are now probably empty. Also a few Christmas items (outside decorations). We'd heard that paper, cardboard draws bugs so that's out. We've had items in the garage that we rarely use and it degrades. Plastic won't do well and to the OP that says they've had no issues, they're lucky. Our luggage is tucked in our closet. You can stack smaller inside of larger. Some people re-do their closet storage. It's a conundrum for sure when you're used to basements, lots of closets as well as storage areas of "up north".
Old 11-12-2022, 08:06 AM

The heat combined with the UV rays will destroy anything you put in the attic. Do what everyone else does. Park your car in the driveway and use the garage as storage.
Old 11-12-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp11364 View Post

Many thanks in advance,

Kevin
I'm not sure how paper would do in the attic in a plastic container. I would put those in cardboard boxes to allow them to breath. Plastic might hold moisture in. We keep all seasonal decorations up there with no issues. We also added a solar attic fan over the attic space.
Old 11-12-2022, 08:41 AM
Veteran member

I keep seasonal items in the attic in Rubbermaid containers with gasket seals on the locking lids to keep moisture out. While the attic obviously gets hot, mine has a radiant barrier that keeps it somewhat insulated. Obviously no candles up there and cardboard boxes are a no-no. Besides encouraging bugs, cardboard can combust as they deteriorate.
Old 11-12-2022, 08:44 AM

The one things not to put in a hot attic are golf clubs. The grips will dissolve. Be careful going up and down the stairs and watch out for stud and nails from the roof.
Closed Thread

Tags
attic, plastic, storage, glass, recommended

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.