Opt-Out for Classifieds

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts
Default Opt-Out for Classifieds

When is the opt-out/opt-in feature for classifieds going to take effect? Out of the first 25 posts in New Posts, 11 were selling something, most by the same person. It still feels like Craig's List. Soon, I hope?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Veteran member

With all due respect, I kinda like seeing the stuff for sale...often I see something I like, but wouldn't have gone looking for it. It's easy enough to just pass over and not open those threads if you are not interested.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Sage

That's fine, and I understand some like it. Maybe I've got it wrong, but I thought the way it was described in the beginning is that you would be able to see those classifieds anyway by opting in. Those of us that don't want to wade through all that to get to the other posts would not see them by opting out. It was supposed to be set up like the political forum.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
That's fine, and I understand some like it. Maybe I've got it wrong, but I thought the way it was described in the beginning is that you would be able to see those classifieds anyway by opting in. Those of us that don't want to wade through all that to get to the other posts would not see them by opting out. It was supposed to be set up like the political forum.
Oh, that could be! I wasn't here when the political forum was active.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Gold member

You have a choice of clicking on them or bypassing them. Lord knows a lot of us bypass the "poop" threads, rent threads, singles etc.

Patience ... the administration said they are working on the opting out, but it will take time.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
You have a choice of clicking on them or bypassing them. Lord knows a lot of us bypass the "poop" threads, rent threads, singles etc.

Patience ... the administration said they are working on the opting out, but it will take time.
Of course I know that, and I don't click on them. My complaint is when half the threads on the New Posts page are sales--most of which by the same person, who could have put it all into one ad.

I was just wondering when the opt-out function will be put in place, or if they have given up on the idea.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Of course I know that, and I don't click on them. My complaint is when half the threads on the New Posts page are sales--most of which by the same person, who could have put it all into one ad.

I was just wondering when the opt-out function will be put in place, or if they have given up on the idea.
And a newbie at that. I am on several other forums with classifieds, and they don't allow classified posts by members with less than x number of posts.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Separate New Ads from Regular Posts

It might be simpler to just have a separate class of new posts dedicated to just classifieds and exclude classifieds from the regular posts. No opting in or out that way.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post

We can't ask a status question anymore?????
Old 06-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylake1 View Post
We can't ask a status question anymore?????
Perhaps the question should have been directed to forum staff as a PM, rather than posted in a discussion thread...

This option generates discussion...rather than the answer the OP was looking for, as none of us know the answer.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB in TV View Post
Perhaps the question should have been directed to forum staff as a PM, rather than posted in a discussion thread...

This option generates discussion...rather than the answer the OP was looking for, as none of us know the answer.
Admin has answered many questions on this forum directed at the new classified section. I felt it was not inappropriate to ask my question here. Plus, I might have missed a discussion on it, and someone may have been able to answer my question as well.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Administrator

There has been tremendous support for the new section with over 400 items listed in less than 2 weeks. This is a testament to the traffic and support of TOTV and that support is what has made TOTV the #1 trafficed site in The Villages. With any change like this there are technical issues to work out on the back end. We want to make sure the initial phase and roll out is working well. We have not abandoned the opt out feature and hope to incorporate this over the next couple of weeks pending everything on the back end continues to operate smoothly.

Thanks again for the support and patience.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Sage

Thank you for answering.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.