Orange Blossom Area

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2023, 02:15 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,784 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaccallum View Post
Simply put, some people have the stigma that it’s the low-end of the Villages. Some have even told me it’s only trailer-trash that live there. Some, who have never ever crossed the Spanish Springs bridge to the Historical section, have told me how bad it is - hmmm…

Of course what they don’t know is that I live there. You see, when asked where I live, I say, “Country Club Hills.” (which is true). Most people have no clue where that Village is much less the many others. With a pretty name like Country Club Hills, they just assume I live somewhere west of 441. Lol!

Let me dispel a lot of rumors and ignorance about the Historical Section. First, the Villages of the Historic section (Silver Lake, Country Club Hills & Orange Blossom) are unique in the Villages as they are not, and never have been a CDD. The Historical section is the only place in the Villages that was never a CCD. CDD statues weren’t established until after this section was developed. So what does that mean?

Well for one, many people will tell you the Historic Section is old so pretty much all the Bonds there have long been paid off. Not true. The three Villages of the Historic section never had bonds, never will.

All the other Villages are CDD’s which means they are (or eventually will be for the newer CDD’s) managed by a Board of elected residents. Each CCD has common areas they are responsible for maintaining, and it’s different for each CCD. To maintain those common areas, the CDD collects a maintenance fee from each household (again, different amount for each CDD) which is billed as non advolorum in the property tax bill. This is not the case in the Historic section. We pay no maintenance fees as again we’re not a CDD. Our maintenance of all our common areas is a function of three entities: Lake County, Lady Lake, and the commercial VCCDD. The latter is a board selected by the “Developer” (you’ll hear a lot about the “Developer” after you move here. Lol!). The “Developer” is the Morse family.

As a result, our property taxes over here are a bit higher than Sumter County (but with no maintenance fee, it’s about a wash) and about the same as Marion County.

What’s good about the Historic section? Yeah, it’s very mature and beautiful landscaping - should be, we’re the oldest area. Lol! We have one of the most beautiful Country Clubs in Orange Blossom with restaurant and bar (run by FMK), And the nicest pool with a waterfall and huge hot tub behind the falls (and speaking of hot tubs, there are only 3 in all of the Villages. Two of them are in the Historic section). Many agents bring potential buyers to the Orange Blossom Club and bill it as the Flagship Country Club of the Villages. It is unique. And of course it has an 18 hole championship course.

We also have two Executive 9 hole courses over here, Hilltop and Silver Lake, the latter which was completely renovated last year.

In a lot of Villages, you have to drive a ways to get to a neighborhood pool, Village or Regional Recreation Center. In the Historic section, we have two neighborhood pools; Hilltop and Southside, Paradise is our Village Rec Center, and La Hacienda is our Regional Rec Center. I can be at any by golf cart in about 5 minutes (10 to Hacienda). Did I mention that our pools stay open until 11 pm? In all other Villages they close at dusk. We have lights. Lol!

We also have a dog park over here, archery, softball field, all the lawn games, tennis courts (2 locations) and of course pickle ball. Lol! We have a lake front park with walking trail and fitness stations. We even have our own fire department and ambulance right here. Oh, and not to forget our lakes for fishing.

Another benefit that I love is the variety of shopping by golf cart from the Historic section. There is no other place in the Villages where you can go to as many stores and restaurants as you can from here (Southern Trace comes in second). We even have our own little golf cart gate to get out to Lowe’s, WaWa, BJ’s, Super Walmart, Bealls and a host of others (a list way too long to include here).

So now to the big question…. Do we have trailers over here in the Historic section? Yes, we do. A few singlewides remain and there are double wides (they are called manufactured homes here). Use whatever vernacular you choose. Lol! When Harold Schwartz started the Villages, you could buy a lot with a mobile home here for $9,999, and of course people did. There are also manufactured homes in Mira Mesa and Del Mar Villages across the bridge west of 441. In the beginning Harold and the Morses lived over here. You can drive by their past homes. When it’s all said and done, the Morse family has a soft spot for the Historic section. The design of the Paradise Rec Center was one of the first projects Tracy Morse worked on. She has since designed all the Rec Centers in the Villages.

So we have a few mobile homes, a good number of manufactured, but also a good number of stick and cinderblock homes here, too. We are quite diversified - a microcosm of all of the Villages, if you will. There are 5,700 homes over here, the largest of any Village. Price points run from just under $200k and top out at about $500k.

Anyway, this has gotten long enough. Lol! In the Historical section we are different as I have explained. Are we different like some uninformed people say. No. We are just a beautiful community here over the bridge, just like many other areas of the Villages. Retired neighbors, younger retirees and older long time retiree residents, living the same lifestyle as all other Villagers. Hope this long explanation sheds some light for you. Good luck in your search and welcome to the Villages!
Awesome explanation!!! Remember, there are a very few constant complainers on this site and most of them are judgmental to boot. If something doesn't fit their narrative (or location), it must be BAD.

Be proud of your neighborhood. Those who "really know" are the residents to listen to.

Old 03-31-2023, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,203 Times in 1,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Awesome explanation!!! Remember, there are a very few constant complainers on this site and most of them are judgmental to boot. If something doesn't fit their narrative (or location), it must be BAD.

Be proud of your neighborhood. Those who "really know" are the residents to listen to.

Actually, don't listen to anyone, including me. Anyone not familiar with the Orange Blossom area should see it for themselves and come to their own conclusions about the area.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
For me, all those yard ornaments is one reason Orange Blossom has a different "feel" than The Villages south of 466. Personally, I prefer the areas south of 466. The newer more modern homes without all those chotskies is the look I like.
I never heard that word before so I just had to Google it. LOL
Old 03-31-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
And then there's the crime in the historic district there are a lot of owners with their adult children and/or their adult grandchildren living with them, this is a fact. Another fact is that most of the crimes reported online that are committed by residents of TV are committed by these same adult children and adult grandchildren living in the historic district. You can research this fax by visiting the online news.
But guess what? The other areas will eventually get that way; I guarantee it!...
Old 03-31-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
The 441 corridor over there is definately a pain to deal with.
And where do you think this pain comes from? I'll answer that: It comes from elsewhere to create this pain you are referring to...
Old 03-31-2023, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,650 Times in 3,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
Google "Spot Crime". Go to that website. Input any home address in Orange Blossom that you want to buy. Crime off the chain in that area. That is why. Also, do not be fooled into thinking your Village "Gates" will keep the burglars out. They do not. Orange Blossom is an incredible crime area. Infested even. Where is the crime coming from? CLOSE proximity to affordable housing, which is where it always comes from. Young teenage kids ON drugs, supporting their buying habit by breaking into your cars and homes for small items to sell or cash. Join Nextdoor website (in that area) to SEE all the home videos captured of these young kids doing this. Home owners post about it all the time with close up videos for all to see. Also, the police simply do an incident report and that is the end of it because it is so rampant they give up on capturing the individuals. Avoid this area and if you don't believe me then look at these social media sites yourself to SEE videos for yourself. I already know people will reply negatively to my post due to my comment about affordable housing. No matter what they say...it will not change the fact that it is true.
I'm looking on spotcrime (dot) com and plugged in my address. I zoomed in, then out, and found ZERO crime reports within the properties on the east side of 441 belonging to The Villages. None at all.

However, there are quite a few between 466A and 466 off Buena Vista and Morse.

A couple dozen reports of theft and some categorized as "other" around Lake Deaton.

Another couple dozen various reports (including one burglary) south of Fl. Turnpike in the "new-new" area.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:58 PM

I live in the historic area and love it...
So with that, I say, don't move or come here., stay away, please!!
Old 03-31-2023, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,650 Times in 3,164 Posts

Quote:
I haven't seen the pool in Orange Blossom area. Is it a neighborhood pool or a sports pool?
There are four pools on our side of 441.

Hilltop, off St. Andrews Blvd.
Paradise, which is a family pool at the Paradise rec center.
Silver Lake (it has a different name but it's in the Silver Lake area), which has a hot tub.
and the gorgeous, large L-shaped pool with waterfall and hot-tub at the Orange Blossom Country Club.

Paradise and the Country Club pools are both in walking distance to my house. Hilltop is a 5-minute golf cart drive, the one at Silver Lake is maybe 8 minutes, when I don't get lost (I can't ever remember how to get there).
Old 03-31-2023, 05:38 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,265 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
Orange Blossom is a VERY small old section started as trailer/houses and you have to go over the old 27/441 bridge to do almost anything. If you want to easily take your cart to many stores/golf courses stay out off there and ABOVE hwy 44
OK, you win the prize for the most ignorant response. Well done.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 03-31-2023, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,415 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote:
I haven't seen the pool in Orange Blossom area. Is it a neighborhood pool or a sports pool?
You have lived here almost 15 years and never saw the Orange Blossom CC pool?
Old 03-31-2023, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,415 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
Google "Spot Crime". Go to that website. Input any home address in Orange Blossom that you want to buy. Crime off the chain in that area. That is why. Also, do not be fooled into thinking your Village "Gates" will keep the burglars out. They do not. Orange Blossom is an incredible crime area. Infested even. Where is the crime coming from? CLOSE proximity to affordable housing, which is where it always comes from. Young teenage kids ON drugs, supporting their buying habit by breaking into your cars and homes for small items to sell or cash. Join Nextdoor website (in that area) to SEE all the home videos captured of these young kids doing this. Home owners post about it all the time with close up videos for all to see. Also, the police simply do an incident report and that is the end of it because it is so rampant they give up on capturing the individuals. Avoid this area and if you don't believe me then look at these social media sites yourself to SEE videos for yourself. I already know people will reply negatively to my post due to my comment about affordable housing. No matter what they say...it will not change the fact that it is true.
Did this post make you feel good?
Do you live in The Villages?
Old 03-31-2023, 06:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There are four pools on our side of 441.

Hilltop, off St. Andrews Blvd.
Paradise, which is a family pool at the Paradise rec center.
Silver Lake (it has a different name but it's in the Silver Lake area), which has a hot tub.
and the gorgeous, large L-shaped pool with waterfall and hot-tub at the Orange Blossom Country Club.

Paradise and the Country Club pools are both in walking distance to my house. Hilltop is a 5-minute golf cart drive, the one at Silver Lake is maybe 8 minutes, when I don't get lost (I can't ever remember how to get there).
Is the pool at the Orange Blossom Country Club a neighborhood pool or a family pool? It sounds lovely.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
You have lived here almost 15 years and never saw the Orange Blossom CC pool?
No I haven't seen it. I will make it a point to see it.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:51 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,265 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
No I haven't seen it. I will make it a point to see it.
You should. It is one of the nicest in TV. BTW- I don't live there.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 03-31-2023, 07:15 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,756 Times in 466 Posts

I drove through the historic area once briefly during my lifestyle visit last summer. I need to return and check out the area more thoroughly now that I live here. I have only taken my golf cart as far north as Lake Sumter - I’m seeing a long golf cart day trip in my future up to Spanish Springs and then over the bridge to the historic side. I want to check out Orange Blossom CC for lunch or dinner, since I generally enjoy the other FMK restaurants.

Question - as a Villages resident, do I have access to all the pools over on the historic side?

Tags
orange, told, blossom, buying, buy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.