Orange Blossom Area

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2023, 06:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

It's called the "historic district" because it's the original section of The Villages. TV started as a mobile home park, Mr. Schwartz thought people from Michigan would enjoy spending the cold months in Florida. To me, it's the prettiest part of the Villages, the mature trees, and hills have a whole different atmosphere than the new areas. It has more "personality" too, yard ornaments are allowed, unlike the new sections. When you drive though, residents are outside, working in their yards and visiting with their neighbors. You might see gnomes or pink flamingoes. There are many people who look down on those who live in single and doublewides. If you are a snob, it's not for you.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:21 AM

I would say purchase in this area.. it's beautiful area
Old 03-31-2023, 07:30 AM

Crime, adult children and the new generation hate is everywhere
Old 03-31-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I have a couple of good friends who live there and they love it. I'm over there often and it is great. More mature landscaping, and good views from the hilltop country club. Everyone I've met there is very friendly.
Great response. My experiences in T V over 4 years ago and of recent is the first response to home buying in T V by T V realtors has been all the reasons not to purchase pre-owned homes but only direction toward NEW. If one isn't interested in the new areas THEN they suggest pre-owned and certainly NOT at the north end of T V where homes are generally manufactured.

I found that strategy on their part to not settle well with me. To each their own in need and want. If a person is looking for a home Village realtors should NOT push NEW first, giving all the nitty gritty info. and their "opinions" of the negatives of the historical areas in T V. It is beautiful up that way!
Old 03-31-2023, 08:27 AM

I can tell you that where ever I go the people love the area they live in for the most part. Thats not to say you can't have a bad neighbor or your priorities change. i.e. a bigger house, move closer to shopping or activities. Many choose to move around and some are on their 3rd or 4th house in 15 years.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
And then there's the crime in the historic district there are a lot of owners with their adult children and/or their adult grandchildren living with them, this is a fact. Another fact is that most of the crimes reported online that are committed by residents of TV are committed by these same adult children and adult grandchildren living in the historic district. You can research this fax by visiting the online news.
Adult children living with their parents is not confined just to the "Historic" side. It's rampant throughout The Villages. Personally I like the historic side. Since it's transitioning to site-built homes, if you buy one of those now your property values will probably increase even faster than elsewhere as the transition nears completion.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:32 AM

Why didn't you ask them?
Old 03-31-2023, 09:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Adult children living with their parents is not confined just to the "Historic" side. It's rampant throughout The Villages. Personally I like the historic side. Since it's transitioning to site-built homes, if you buy one of those now your property values will probably increase even faster than elsewhere as the transition nears completion.
It's my understanding that the developer stopped their teardown program. This "transition" will take more time than most of us have.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:16 AM

There is good and not so good regarding all areas. It is a personal choice. I live in OB and will not return to the center ever again.
Why??
-Location to everything by cart or car
-Lot size
-Trees and lakes
-Views
-Friendly neighbors
-Paid bond
-Beautiful Country Club
Who needs more?
Old 03-31-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiviAruba View Post
Hi,
When I was visiting in December and I told people I was thinking about buying, I was told not to buy in Orange Blossom. Can anyone tell me why?
Simply put, some people have the stigma that it’s the low-end of the Villages. Some have even told me it’s only trailer-trash that live there. Some, who have never ever crossed the Spanish Springs bridge to the Historical section, have told me how bad it is - hmmm…

Of course what they don’t know is that I live there. You see, when asked where I live, I say, “Country Club Hills.” (which is true). Most people have no clue where that Village is much less the many others. With a pretty name like Country Club Hills, they just assume I live somewhere west of 441. Lol!

Let me dispel a lot of rumors and ignorance about the Historical Section. First, the Villages of the Historic section (Silver Lake, Country Club Hills & Orange Blossom) are unique in the Villages as they are not, and never have been a CDD. The Historical section is the only place in the Villages that was never a CCD. CDD statues weren’t established until after this section was developed. So what does that mean?

Well for one, many people will tell you the Historic Section is old so pretty much all the Bonds there have long been paid off. Not true. The three Villages of the Historic section never had bonds, never will.

All the other Villages are CDD’s which means they are (or eventually will be for the newer CDD’s) managed by a Board of elected residents. Each CCD has common areas they are responsible for maintaining, and it’s different for each CCD. To maintain those common areas, the CDD collects a maintenance fee from each household (again, different amount for each CDD) which is billed as non advolorum in the property tax bill. This is not the case in the Historic section. We pay no maintenance fees as again we’re not a CDD. Our maintenance of all our common areas is a function of three entities: Lake County, Lady Lake, and the commercial VCCDD. The latter is a board selected by the “Developer” (you’ll hear a lot about the “Developer” after you move here. Lol!). The “Developer” is the Morse family.

As a result, our property taxes over here are a bit higher than Sumter County (but with no maintenance fee, it’s about a wash) and about the same as Marion County.

What’s good about the Historic section? Yeah, it’s very mature and beautiful landscaping - should be, we’re the oldest area. Lol! We have one of the most beautiful Country Clubs in Orange Blossom with restaurant and bar (run by FMK), And the nicest pool with a waterfall and huge hot tub behind the falls (and speaking of hot tubs, there are only 3 in all of the Villages. Two of them are in the Historic section). Many agents bring potential buyers to the Orange Blossom Club and bill it as the Flagship Country Club of the Villages. It is unique. And of course it has an 18 hole championship course.

We also have two Executive 9 hole courses over here, Hilltop and Silver Lake, the latter which was completely renovated last year.

In a lot of Villages, you have to drive a ways to get to a neighborhood pool, Village or Regional Recreation Center. In the Historic section, we have two neighborhood pools; Hilltop and Southside, Paradise is our Village Rec Center, and La Hacienda is our Regional Rec Center. I can be at any by golf cart in about 5 minutes (10 to Hacienda). Did I mention that our pools stay open until 11 pm? In all other Villages they close at dusk. We have lights. Lol!

We also have a dog park over here, archery, softball field, all the lawn games, tennis courts (2 locations) and of course pickle ball. Lol! We have a lake front park with walking trail and fitness stations. We even have our own fire department and ambulance right here. Oh, and not to forget our lakes for fishing.

Another benefit that I love is the variety of shopping by golf cart from the Historic section. There is no other place in the Villages where you can go to as many stores and restaurants as you can from here (Southern Trace comes in second). We even have our own little golf cart gate to get out to Lowe’s, WaWa, BJ’s, Super Walmart, Bealls and a host of others (a list way too long to include here).

So now to the big question…. Do we have trailers over here in the Historic section? Yes, we do. A few singlewides remain and there are double wides (they are called manufactured homes here). Use whatever vernacular you choose. Lol! When Harold Schwartz started the Villages, you could buy a lot with a mobile home here for $9,999, and of course people did. There are also manufactured homes in Mira Mesa and Del Mar Villages across the bridge west of 441. In the beginning Harold and the Morses lived over here. You can drive by their past homes. When it’s all said and done, the Morse family has a soft spot for the Historic section. The design of the Paradise Rec Center was one of the first projects Tracy Morse worked on. She has since designed all the Rec Centers in the Villages.

So we have a few mobile homes, a good number of manufactured, but also a good number of stick and cinderblock homes here, too. We are quite diversified - a microcosm of all of the Villages, if you will. There are 5,700 homes over here, the largest of any Village. Price points run from just under $200k and top out at about $500k.

Anyway, this has gotten long enough. Lol! In the Historical section we are different as I have explained. Are we different like some uninformed people say. No. We are just a beautiful community here over the bridge, just like many other areas of the Villages. Retired neighbors, younger retirees and older long time retiree residents, living the same lifestyle as all other Villagers. Hope this long explanation sheds some light for you. Good luck in your search and welcome to the Villages!
Old 03-31-2023, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,175 Times in 1,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
As…one of the most popular and loved areas in The Villages…with by far the largest and best pool…and a good, convenient restaurant?

Probably a resident who wanted you to look elsewhere.
I haven't seen the pool in Orange Blossom area. Is it a neighborhood pool or a sports pool?

Last edited by coffeebean; 03-31-2023 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
Google "Spot Crime". Go to that website. Input any home address in Orange Blossom that you want to buy. Crime off the chain in that area. That is why. Also, do not be fooled into thinking your Village "Gates" will keep the burglars out. They do not. Orange Blossom is an incredible crime area. Infested even. Where is the crime coming from? CLOSE proximity to affordable housing, which is where it always comes from. Young teenage kids ON drugs, supporting their buying habit by breaking into your cars and homes for small items to sell or cash. Join Nextdoor website (in that area) to SEE all the home videos captured of these young kids doing this. Home owners post about it all the time with close up videos for all to see. Also, the police simply do an incident report and that is the end of it because it is so rampant they give up on capturing the individuals. Avoid this area and if you don't believe me then look at these social media sites yourself to SEE videos for yourself. I already know people will reply negatively to my post due to my comment about affordable housing. No matter what they say...it will not change the fact that it is true.
I live in The Villages but if I were a newcomer, I would be confused by what is being discussed in this thread. Either Orange Blossom is a quiet serene lovely mature landscaped neighborhood or it is a crime scene of epic proportions. Which is it?
Old 03-31-2023, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
It's called the "historic district" because it's the original section of The Villages. TV started as a mobile home park, Mr. Schwartz thought people from Michigan would enjoy spending the cold months in Florida. To me, it's the prettiest part of the Villages, the mature trees, and hills have a whole different atmosphere than the new areas. It has more "personality" too, yard ornaments are allowed, unlike the new sections. When you drive though, residents are outside, working in their yards and visiting with their neighbors. You might see gnomes or pink flamingoes. There are many people who look down on those who live in single and doublewides. If you are a snob, it's not for you.
For me, all those yard ornaments is one reason Orange Blossom has a different "feel" than The Villages south of 466. Personally, I prefer the areas south of 466. The newer more modern homes without all those chotskies is the look I like.

Last edited by coffeebean; 03-31-2023 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrento19 View Post
There is good and not so good regarding all areas. It is a personal choice. I live in OB and will not return to the center ever again.
Why??
-Location to everything by cart or car
-Lot size
-Trees and lakes
-Views
-Friendly neighbors
-Paid bond
-Beautiful Country Club
Who needs more?
I drove my golf cart one time north of 466 on Morse Blvd to go to Spanish Springs and then back south on Morse to get home. NEVER again. But.....that is just me.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:08 PM
Platinum member

I know very little about that area. We did drive to see the pool with jacuzzi and it was really nice.

We bought just South of 466A because we only wanted a new house.

It does have many positives such as being close to the hospital and near shopping and restaurants.

The good thing about T.V. Is there is something for everyone and every budget.

Tags
orange, told, blossom, buying, buy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.