Orlando Sentinel Article re: TV's Siding Problems

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Sage
Default Re: Orlando Sentinel Article re: TV's Siding Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain1202
I agree with "gryoung" regarding the "let it go" comment. You get what you get what you pay for all along the line. I dare say if "top of the line" stuff had been used everywhere in the homes, we would be paying considerably more than the reasonable prices we are for homes in TV.
Captain and gryoung You get what you pay for.

If our homes had granite counter tops, hardwood floors, marley roofs and upgraded siding, we probably would have been discouraged by the prices.

We just plunged in and bought a Villa. Not perfect but we love living in TV. So glad we didn't sweat the small stuff. We are living in paradise. Every day I am amazed at how much I love The Villages lifestyle. lovehorse
Old 01-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned

If the vinyl siding installation is indeed a problem of large-number proportion, it won't take long before an enterprising law firm sees this as a potential class issue worthy of a contingent-fee suit. Then the sign-up notices will appear in many places.

That being said, the purpose of these kinds of lawsuits is to encourage settlement and never appear before a jury. As noticed elsewhere on this forum, the TV management is business-realistic on when settlement makes good business sense. If the vinyl siding issue escalates due to proven workmanship defects, settlement is a reasonable solution to ending bad press, especially when the costs are later part of the overhead on future sales. Also, I would be highly surprised if the TV management has not already allowed for such potential problems to arise, and have contingency funds earmarked for such a circumstance - as that's what most successful business do.

I bought my CYV (vinyl) in July '07 and plan for a top-to-bottom home inspection in late March, so as to wrap up any possible warranty issues befire the clock runs out. Needless to say, the vinyl siding will be especially examined.

I'm glad to have this means of sharing information. It does help to know what's happening within the community. However, had all of this been made known to me prior to July '07 I would still have purchased the CYV I have now, as the location of the CYV was more important than what was on the outside walls. In the end, even if it meant replacing all of the siding, I still think I got a bargain and love the location, the neighbors and the overall life style.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 757 Posts

-so, about this vinyl siding thing -

I guess it's a learning curve.

Trade off? Get over it? Just how it is? Lifestyle R Us? Prudent vs. Paranoid? Class Action Suit? Picket Signs? Not how it oughta be? You get what you pay for?

If we ever end up incoming, it will be as snowflakes, showing up whenever, not renting the place out. We will come in on the patio villa end. I really like pre-owneds best. Even I can spot a lame siding job, but the thing that really bothers me is what is unnnnnnder that siding? Did it ever get wet under there?

What happens in a place like TV where everybody moves in from everywhere is that the learning curve is all over the place. We are from a part of the country where not only do we know the people who do work for us, we probably know their parents. It makes construction practices a little different. And I really am starting to get over it.

But I have to wonder... Where is the enterprising local guy with a truck, a crew, a clue, a siding supplier, and a conscience who could contract with individuals if need be. Sadly, we plan to just factor some of this into the cost of doing business with TV. - as much fun as those picket signs could be...

Like all of you, we weigh the pros and cons of big decisions, what Mr. BB calls doin' the Ben Franklin.

But as far as the TV market being driven by "you get what you pay for," I don't completely agree. A lot of it is driven by the profit margin that the market will bear. My guess is that the demographics in TV would show that a large percentage of residents have sold homes in very expensive regions of the country. That makes a big part of the market a relative thing. I understand that and accept it. And our Canadian and British friends are getting something close to a two-fer deal.

So anyway, I need to start working on renting again soon so we can have another look - Ben and Me.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Gold member

Best Mickey,
I just want to compliment you on the creative visuals that you use on this site. I always look forward to seeing them.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Sage

Boomer Be Back

Just curious: I wonder if you could explain your statement "And our Canadian and British friends are getting something close to a two-fer deal." :dontknow:

Old 01-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan&Tom
Best Mickey,
I just want to compliment you on the creative visuals that you use on this site. I always look forward to seeing them.
Thank you! I do try to find some creative pics to make folks smile. ;D
Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Soaring Parsley

Barefoot,

I am so sorry. I did not mean it as a slam. I thought your dollar was getting two for one like the pound exchange rate is right now. I should have looked it up first. I don't know why I had that idea in my head.

When we were in TV we met some lovely people from the UK who were investing in homes. It is such a good time for them to do so.

And when I said "friends" I sincerely meant it.

I need to learn to check my facts more closely.

Thank you.

BB

Old 01-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Sage

BBB, I wasn't offended, just curious .... thought I might be missing out on something!
I wish our dollar was worth two U.S. dollars, no such luck. It was at 98 cents last time I looked.

Sorry Topicop, back to siding!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Soaring Parsley

Barefoot,

Thanks.

We couldn't have better neighbors, be it on a big map or right next door.

BB

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.