Our first big disappointment in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybo View Post
wendy apologized and she also posted a couple of other times, trying to clarify what she meant. Many of us (myself included) have posted things that didn't come across the way we intended. She's a nice lady, give her a break.
i totally agree!!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
Wendy apologized and she also posted a couple of other times, trying to clarify what she meant. Many of us (myself included) have posted things that didn't come across the way we intended. She's a nice lady, give her a break.
I agree as well. We each of us reflect, grieve, support, ponder in our own fashion and should be respectful of those differences. I cannot imagine how it must have been for all of you who stated they were there, close by or know someone who was. My heart goes out to you and I wish you peace.

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 09-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
Wendy apologized and she also posted a couple of other times, trying to clarify what she meant. Many of us (myself included) have posted things that didn't come across the way we intended. She's a nice lady, give her a break.
Wendy was concerned for the people who organized the event, and for the old Veterans who attended. She quickly dashed off a post, which most of us have done. She certainly didn't intend to be critical of the many people who choose to remember in other ways. Let's give her a break.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:04 AM

That is why I said "never mind" ... not worth the effort when I/we may actually offend OP or others. Offending someone was not my intent.

Last edited by dkrhardy; 09-23-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
I did not mean to infer that if you weren't at the ceremony you weren't remembering! I was disappointed at the turnout for the ceremony. It's sad to see these aging vets shuffling along to create a ceremony for us to share and have such a small turnout. Sure we all remember, but I was already disgusted with the Today Show's interview with Chris Jenner while ceremonies were going on at ground zero. I saw the flags and we had our own colors flying! I don't understand why expressing my opinion and attending e ceremony makes me a hypocrite and creeping toward the gates of Hell!
I knew then and understand now what you were trying to say.

Especially so now when you mention the aging vets participating, as hard as it must have been for them in the heat and so forth.

When we were younger we never missed a town parade, of which there were many......taking the children from babyhood on to each and every one. Once they hit their teens, we took a break and let them go on their own with their friends. It was more comfortable watching it on the t.v. than sitting on the curb or in a lawn chair on the sidewalk for hours on end.....our parades might last as long as three hours........

Then we went through the phase of taking the grandchildren from their babyhood on..........to the same parade(s).

Now, if we can we "opt out".........it's called "slowing down"......so I get it.........but I also get the fact that 911 needs to be remembered.

It sounds as if EVERYONE did indeed remember the day and in all of our own private ways, we remembered and will never ever forget. That can be done privately and silently.

For those of us who were "in the air" or had to fly soon after, we definitely will never forget the climate at the airports and on the planes.
No one will ever forget the visuals of the planes hitting the towers....or the desperate people jumping.

From our town, a family lost their bright successful young son in the towers that came down. A local priest at our church perished in one of the planes. In our N.J. family neighborhoods, as another one said, there were days and days and weeks and weeks of remembrance at all the firemen's funerals, etc.......and of course in our N.Y. family neighborhoods. Many N.J. residents worked in N.Y. in the towers.

I also agree totally with other posters about the lack of television network coverage, instead showing some trivial "news" from people who just crave the spotlight. I always had tuned in to see the names called out by the children of the victims, etc. Didn't see it this year.

Lately, nothing is commemorated or either they go to commercial at an important part. Just my pet peeve.

But, I "hear you" and know what you were saying. Blame it on the heat and perhaps people quietly remembering in their own ways......rather than gathering at the square.

But, while we all were either remembering or forgetting to remember, over in Libya, someone was celebrating 911 on its exact date.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Gold member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
There seems to be a not so subtle implication ( "come on folks, I thought we had all vowed to remember 9/11") that by not attending the memorial service people had forgotten 9/11. I can assure you that it was in my thoughts all day yesterday, even though I was unaware of the memorial service. I am sure that most people, not only in The Villages, but in the country, spent time in thought and reflection on the lives that were lost, not only on that day but in the 11 years of fighting terrorism that have followed. You should not be disappointed that others did not commemorate the day in the same way that you did.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I have not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
We went to the 9/11 memorial service at Fire Station 44 this afternoon. We left home early thinking there would be a big crowd BUT were disappointed that there weren't more people in attendance! I didn't do a head count but there were no more than you might see on one of the squares at night. It was a very emotional service and you could tell that a lot of effort went into its planning and execution!
We had a remembrance of 9/11 at the Villages Hospital. As the chaplain I felt the need to go there. I also had to work that day. Oh to be retired someday---soon I hope.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.