Out of Shape?

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Gold member
Default Out of Shape?

How many of you found that moving to TV helped to get the old bod back into shape? I don't mean getting buff...I just mean getting to the point that getting into bed in clean sheets, soft blankets, tempurpedic mattress pad and great pillows and realizing that turning over no longer hurts!!! I remember being able to sleep on the floor...without a pillow..just using my arm for support!! How did this happen?? Could it be attributed to sitting at my computer reading TOTV, then switching over to thevillages.com to look at houses...then back to TOTV to see what I missed..then playing games for a half hour only to go BACK to TOTV..then checking out the webcams at the
squares to see what was happening and compare the temperature to here?
Did any of you move there, knowing that you had lost some of the old stamina and endurance and then realized you got it back or am I destined to mumble and grumble for the rest of my life?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Location: Originally from PA, lived in South Jersey & presently in VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
How many of you found that moving to TV helped to get the old bod back into shape? I don't mean getting buff...I just mean getting to the point that getting into bed in clean sheets, soft blankets, tempurpedic mattress pad and great pillows and realizing that turning over no longer hurts!!! I remember being able to sleep on the floor...without a pillow..just using my arm for support!! How did this happen?? Could it be attributed to sitting at my computer reading TOTV, then switching over to thevillages.com to look at houses...then back to TOTV to see what I missed..then playing games for a half hour only to go BACK to TOTV..then checking out the webcams at the
Did any of you move there, knowing that you had lost some of the old stamina and endurance and then realized you got it back or am I destined to mumble and grumble for the rest of my life?
Oh Trish - you are dead on and I would sure like to know the answer for myself. Honestly, everything you have stated is a "mirror image' of myself (minus the games). I get up at 4:00 AM daily and then it all starts. Lord have mercy. I am addicted . . . . and wouldn't want it any other way!

Betty
Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Sage
Default Golf Lessons

Hi Trish,

How are the golf lessons coming along? Will you be giving Nancy Lopez a run for her money? Hope it is cooler in Detroit than it has been in Chicago this summer. The lawns here are begging for rain.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Hi Trish,

How are the golf lessons coming along? Will you be giving Nancy Lopez a run for her money? Hope it is cooler in Detroit than it has been in Chicago this summer. The lawns here are begging for rain.
The temp today was 102...thermometer in my car said 107...I'm moving to Florida to escape the heat . First lesson was today went well...managed to hit a basket of balls without missing too many of them..hitting between 50 and 80 yards (not sure if that's ok but felt good to hit them!)
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 AM

I enjoy reading your various posts, usually humorous, entertaining, or informational, or combination of the three.

Terminology: it's a bucket of balls, despite the fact that the balls are given to you in a plastic, open weave basket.

Clarification: 50-80 yds might be a great shot depending on the club and um, uh...your levels of coordination and fitness.

Please note for the record that I made no age or gender references!! There is no way I would subject myself to the GG Posse!

About that sleeping on the floor trait...you might still need that ability. Apparently, a lot of newbie TV frogs have spent a night or two on sleeping on the floor (sleeping bag, air mattress, etc) of their newly purchased piece of paradise bc their furniture is still en route. So, unless your arm has gained considerable padding over the years, you might want to bring a pillow or two to your closing.

Lastly, aches and pains will accompany your return to active endeavors but they will eventually fade away. But don't overdo! There is a difference in pain and injury.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Gold member

You might check this out. I originally read this in the New York Times, but the concept is the same. Instead of sitting, try standing while you do things like web surfing or other desk related activities. Apparently it's beneficial in many ways - burns up calories, increases a person's sense of well-being, and gets them in better shape. Of course, I'm sitting here at my desk while I'm typing this, so I guess I'm the last person to be giving anyone advice like this . . .

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...tanding-study/
Old 07-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
It's called getting older. You are not destined to mumble and grumble but you have to start getting meaningful exercise. I was incapcitated for a while and had the same issues with pains that weren't there before.

Start exercising at a moderate rate and build from there. Use it or lose it.
Remember a body in motion tends to stay in motion. You can do it.

It's mind over matter. If you don't mind it don't matter.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

if you worked out before you got here you will do the same when you arrive, if not more
Old 07-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Don't you have clean sheets at home? Just teasing !!!!!!

I think the warmth in the autumn and winter was soothing....the perpetual sunshine was wonderful....ditto for the blue skies and fresh air.

However, I still felt the pain of turning over in bed all night long and the stiffness in the joints when awaking in the morning............which lasts till about noon........chronic morning stiffness.

But towards the end of the 6 weeks, I did feel better........but had to go back to that darn airport again. Orlando airport is totally exhausting.
We are so used to smaller airports.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Everyone is active here. Reminds me of Denver with a slightly older average age. The active atmosphere makes me get out more than I would up north.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.