Out of Stock

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Gold member
Default Out of Stock

Am I having a bad streak, or is anyone else finding that local retail stores are not keeping up with stock. Two weeks ago I stopped at the Edwin Watts golf store near Target (formerly Jim's Golf), to buy a two-pack of large Footjoy golf gloves. Out of stock. I went back three days later, still out of stock and the clerk said "next Wednesday hopefully". I stopped at Walmart for Flea and Tick treatment. Out of stock. I stopped at the Winn Dixie liquor store to buy some Yuengling light beer - out of stock (the clerk said to go next door and the main store probably has it). Finally, yesterday went to Ace Hardware to pick up a few 20X20X1 A/C filters, probably the most popular size. Guess what, out of stock. I hope I'm just in a temporary bad streak, but I'm not so sure. It sure gets aggravating. I bought filters yesterday from Amazon Prime with free shipping and they will be delivered tomorrow. I might as well order the golf gloves and flea medicine from them too - they seldom run out of stock.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:32 AM

I find this all the time as I wear clothing and shoe sizes that brick and mortar stores often don't stock a lot of anyway. I still like to be able to go in a local store, spend my money locally, and walk out with what I want. But more often than not, I find myself ordering from Amazon Prime and sometimes even getting them the next day or 2 days tops. Saturday I went out looking for some athletic socks, size XL. I'm particular about certain brands but found plenty - none in my size though. Went home and ordered online late in the day Saturday, and yesterday they were sitting in my mailbox. At some point, you just stop wasting your time and gas going out and looking and just order online to start with. Many popular stores offer the secondary option of going to their website and ordering to have shipped to your home. But until they figure out how to compete with next day, or 2 day shipping, they will still lose out to Amazon.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Walmart frequently has items I go to get out of stock.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

Its the economy too good
Old 08-21-2018, 08:41 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

I've noticed it at the new Lowe's. Went there to buy a trimmer on sale was told they have none but there are 41 of them at the other store. Same thing with a particular fertilizer I wanted, told me to go up north. There was one other item but i can't remember. Now I go to Sparr's or Ace ( Ace in Wildwood has the best service ever) for that type of stuff and try to stay away from Lowes. I would assume that there will be a Home Depot down here in the south sometime in the not to distant future that will compete with Lowes.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I use to partake an occasional wine cooler known as Bartles & James back in the 80's. I guess those commercials with the two old guys sitting on the porch worked. Actually they were actors, not Bartles and James.

Move ahead to about 2010 and I was in the biggest liquor store I've ever seen, it was in suburban Baltimore and was twice the size of the new ABC on 466A. I saw the B&J and they had them in cases with each flavor for $19.99. I thought, I loved the original flavor so I bought a case. It was really good, went back the next 2 or 3 weeks and the original flavor was out of stock everytime. Finally the manager told me, that B&J has decided to discontinue the original flavor. After all these years, just when I wanted that flavor, it was no longer.

Move ahead to 2015, I'm in Publix at Colony and they have a whole display of B&J 4 packs in cooler on an end unit. I picked up a couple and they were still good. However, after that I quit drinking them again until last week. We were going over someone's house to play cards and I thought, that would be convenient to pick up a 4 pack of B&J. I stopped at the new ABC and couldn't find them, so I asked the clerk. He said, we dont stock them but we have the Seagrams Malt Cooler's on sale for $10.99 for 12. I said, let me look around.

I went back to Publix, no B&J. I went in the Publix liquor store, no B&J. I went to the Walmart liquor store, no B&J. They had the Seagrams for $9.99 for a 12 pack. So I picked them up and have drank most of the flavors. Not as good as B&J, a little sweet, almost like candy. I looked on the internet for Bartles & James and the closest stores to sell them is in New Port Richey and Altamonte Springs north of Orlando. They're owned by the Gallo company, so what happened. Not very good marketing. What was odd, the folks at the home where we were playing cards had one B&J in their refrigerator they had been saving for a couple of years. Well, it was very good, better than Seagrams. I found out they call this class of drinks now malt coolers, because they started taxing wine coolers higher. So any liquor store managers reading this, please stock Bartles & James.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 08-21-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:29 AM
Default Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Am I having a bad streak, or is anyone else finding that local retail stores are not keeping up with stock. Two weeks ago I stopped at the Edwin Watts golf store near Target (formerly Jim's Golf), to buy a two-pack of large Footjoy golf gloves. Out of stock. I went back three days later, still out of stock and the clerk said "next Wednesday hopefully". I stopped at Walmart for Flea and Tick treatment. Out of stock. I stopped at the Winn Dixie liquor store to buy some Yuengling light beer - out of stock (the clerk said to go next door and the main store probably has it). Finally, yesterday went to Ace Hardware to pick up a few 20X20X1 A/C filters, probably the most popular size. Guess what, out of stock. I hope I'm just in a temporary bad streak, but I'm not so sure. It sure gets aggravating. I bought filters yesterday from Amazon Prime with free shipping and they will be delivered tomorrow. I might as well order the golf gloves and flea medicine from them too - they seldom run out of stock.
Many of the retail stores-Walmart, Home Depo, Lowes show store inventory and where in the store it is,

As to Amazon and any other mail order seller, they are cheaper but, you loose the ability to see the quality, try stuff on etc,

Trump said something about the taxpayer subsidizing Amazon, If, you are not aware, the reason they can offer free shipping is that they pay far less than you do for shipping, On two day delivery, we received a package TO THE DOOR on SUNDAY and it was on a United States Postal Truck, I asked the driver and was told he only works Sunday and all on his truck is Amazon stuff, Interesting, normal stuff would come to our central pick up-not to the door, No, it was not valuable stuff and he did not need or ask for a signature,
Old 08-21-2018, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-21-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I use to partake an occasional wine cooler known as Bartles & James back in the 80's. I guess those commercials with the two old guys sitting on the porch worked. Actually they were actors, not Bartles and James.

Move ahead to about 2010 and I was in the biggest liquor store I've ever seen, it was in suburban Baltimore and was twice the size of the new ABC on 466A. I saw the B&J and they had them in cases with each flavor for $19.99. I thought, I loved the original flavor so I bought a case. It was really good, went back the next 2 or 3 weeks and the original flavor was out of stock everytime. Finally the manager told me, that B&J has decided to discontinue the original flavor. After all these years, just when I wanted that flavor, it was no longer.

Move ahead to 2015, I'm in Publix at Colony and they have a whole display of B&J 4 packs in cooler on an end unit. I picked up a couple and they were still good. However, after that I quit drinking them again until last week. We were going over someone's house to play cards and I thought, that would be convenient to pick up a 4 pack of B&J. I stopped at the new ABC and couldn't find them, so I asked the clerk. He said, we dont stock them but we have the Seagrams Malt Cooler's on sale for $10.99 for 12. I said, let me look around.

I went back to Publix, no B&J. I went in the Publix liquor store, no B&J. I went to the Walmart liquor store, no B&J. They had the Seagrams for $9.99 for a 12 pack. So I picked them up and have drank most of the flavors. Not as good as B&J, a little sweet, almost like candy. I looked on the internet for Bartles & James and the closest stores to sell them is in New Port Richey and Altamonte Springs north of Orlando. They're owned by the Gallo company, so what happened. Not very good marketing. What was odd, the folks at the home where we were playing cards had one B&J in their refrigerator they had been saving for a couple of years. Well, it was very good, better than Seagrams. I found out they call this class of drinks now malt coolers, because they started taxing wine coolers higher. So any liquors reading this, please stock Bartles & James.

The Villages Florida
Sure wish they were relatives, we would both have a few cases stocked!
Old 08-21-2018, 12:06 PM

Go to Lowe's if you want to keep your streak alive.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I am SO sorry to hear about this. Do you know where you contacted the fleas?
Old 08-21-2018, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Old 08-21-2018, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

5 years from now shopping at brick and mortar wil be few and far between
Old 08-22-2018, 02:35 PM
Sage

Here's one for you: Husband went to the WalMart neighborhood market by Colony to buy ice for a function but it is out of ice and has been for two days.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
I am SO sorry to hear about this. Do you know where you contacted the fleas?

He must have stopped at the MARION FLEA MARKET first.
Closed Thread

Tags
stock, golf, stopped, store, flea

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.