Outside Hose Faucet Leaking

Old 07-04-2023, 03:00 PM
Default Outside Hose Faucet Leaking

The handle doesn't completely shut off the water so I need to replace the faucet. Anyone know if this can be done by the homeowner or if a plumber is needed? I can do a lot of home repairs but I don't solder pipes.

Old 07-04-2023, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagele View Post
The handle doesn't completely shut off the water so I need to replace the faucet. Anyone know if this can be done by the homeowner or if a plumber is needed? I can do a lot of home repairs but I don't solder pipes.
I do not know the age of your house, so you may have PVC pipes or copper pipes in the house. A neighbor of mine just had his replaced, and the plumber removed the 2 screws on the sides of the valve, and simply unscrewed it, then screwed in another valve and replaced the screws. Sounds simple, I have NOT done this myself, and remember you have to turn off the main valve in the house, and bleed off the water pressure, both Hot and Cold.

The other possible option would be to turn off the water, and unscrew the cap directly below the handle on the outside valve. You should be able to unscrew the valve mechanism, and then replace the rubber gasket. Depending on where the leak is, there is usually also a gasket around the valve stem.

If you go to ACE hardware off 466 they tend to stock a lot of village specific parts, so you could get all the parts you need to finish the project.

Remember you cannot turn on the main valve until the one you are working on is fixed.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-04-2023, 03:25 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,858 Times in 3,692 Posts

Depending our your faucet.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmlLb0-Rhsc

Old 07-04-2023, 09:10 PM

The other possible option would be to turn off the water, and unscrew the cap directly below the handle on the outside valve. You should be able to unscrew the valve mechanism, and then replace the rubber gasket. Depending on where the leak is, there is usually also a gasket around the valve stem.

This ^
Take it to the hardware store and they can get you the proper size washer.

Old 07-05-2023, 06:37 AM

Easy to check. Turn off water, remove two screws, twist off faucet. I replaced two faucets. When you take off the old faucet, look to see if the fitting (mine was 1/2 inch) is male or female (the outlet on the faucet should be 3/4 inch). Take the old faucet with you to make sure you get the correct one. I bought replacements at Lowes for $10-11.

Old 07-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,698 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
If you go to ACE hardware off 466 they tend to stock a lot of village specific parts, so you could get all the parts you need to finish the project.
The ACE hardware store in Wildwood is very good, and they also sell the $10 cards that give you discounts at many restaurants and stores in The Villages.

The $10 is used to benefit the student activities at Wildwood High School.

Old 07-05-2023, 03:48 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll give it a try myself with a plumber's emergency # nearby........

Old 07-05-2023, 04:17 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,991 Times in 766 Posts

I’m glad I took shop in high school electrical, plumbing and carpentry. Also another coed class home economics we were allowed to take in high-school.

Old 07-05-2023, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,241 Times in 2,820 Posts

I haven’t seen anyone else mention it, so I will. Be sure the problem is not the back flow prevention valve device that the builder installs in all homes outdoor hose faucets to meet building code. Those valves cause the faucet to leak when first shut off but the leak stops in a few seconds. It doesn’t sound like that’s your problem, but you should rule it out before going through the effort of repairing or replacing the entire fixture. Good luck : )

Old 07-05-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Depending our your faucet.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmlLb0-Rhsc
Yes, youtube it. I repaired my leaky hose spigot and avoided a significant charge to have a plumber do it.

Tags
faucet, homeowner, plumber, needed, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.