outside tv antenna

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2018, 05:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
If i was you i may use PVC schedule 80.
You just made a nice lightning rod, Yikkies
Your TV's will get the hit through the Coaxial Cable.
BOOM goes the TV
Disconnect the TV during an electrical storm. This is what we did back in the 60's. Problem solved.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Disconnect the TV during an electrical storm. This is what we did back in the 60's. Problem solved.
Understood but the lightning can still build a corona and induce stray Voltage all over electrical wiring in your attic and throughout your home.
At the minimum i would bond the pole to ground.

What is an electrical corona?
A corona discharge is an electrical discharge brought on by the ionization of a fluid such as air surrounding a conductor that is electrically charged. Spontaneous corona discharges occur naturally in high-voltage systems unless care is taken to limit the electric field strength.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Found this online this morning - SET TV - The Best Premium IPTV Service Does anyone know exactly what this is, is it a replacement for cable in the home?
According to this article, SetTV is definitely NOT a legal service:

Set TV is Definitely Not a Legitimate Streaming Service

When I look at the list of channels and saw HBO and BBC (not just BBC America), I figured it was all stolen channels.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycox8ball@gmail.com View Post
Will you tell me (us) more about the channels you receive with the Walmart antenna? Do you get the Major Networks? Can you receive ESPN or any other sports channels? Do you stream? Do you use Apple TV, Netflix, etc?
ESPN is not an over-the-air (OTA) broadcast network. The only way to get it is cable, satellite or some kind of streaming service. That's true of most of the channels we now think of as mainstream (HBO, Showtime, Comedy Central, SyFy, National Geographic, TNT, CNN, Fox News, etc., etc.). Pretty much the only major networks you can get OTA are ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS and several smaller independents.

Also, if you've become accustomed to using DVRs, note that don't get that convenience with broadcast TV via antennas without buying your own DVR, such as a TiVo. And note that many of those require monthly subscriptions for the service of providing what shows are going to be on what channels when.

Even free stuff isn't free anymore!
Old 03-13-2018, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
ESPN is not an over-the-air (OTA) broadcast network. The only way to get it is cable, satellite or some kind of streaming service. That's true of most of the channels we now think of as mainstream (HBO, Showtime, Comedy Central, SyFy, National Geographic, TNT, CNN, Fox News, etc., etc.). Pretty much the only major networks you can get OTA are ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS and several smaller independents.

Also, if you've become accustomed to using DVRs, note that don't get that convenience with broadcast TV via antennas without buying your own DVR, such as a TiVo. And note that many of those require monthly subscriptions for the service of providing what shows are going to be on what channels when.

Even free stuff isn't free anymore!
That's a very good synopsis of TV in today's World. In 2008 while living in Baltimore my Comcast went out for 3 days, which included the weekend. No explanation, no updates, no refund on my bill. That week I called Directv and had it installed, it was free. I have the Premier Package, which is every channel they offer plus a 1000 hour HD DVR. In 10 years I've never had a service call, the only time I've seen a repair man was when I moved to Florida in 2011 he installed my system here, free of course. I don't worry about where or when some show or sporting event is on, have never missed my favorite team's NFL game, in fact this past football season they gave me NFL Ticket for free, a $300 value. I do spent $180 a month for Directv, but to me it's worth it.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:44 AM

Why not just put it on your roof? The Villages makes you think you can't do this, but the law says you can. My friend who lives in the Villages went
through this and now has one her roof.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:51 AM

We don't get Golf, ESPN, Fox News, CNN, or any of the other CABLE Stations -- because they are - well - CABLE stations. We DO get pretty much all the over-the-air stations out of Orlando. This includes the CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox stations, plus a lot of their "sub-channels", which run old movies, old TV serials (like Perry Mason, Murder she wrote, etc., etc. Oh, yes, also about 4 PBS stations, and several stations broadcasting religious programming. Also several Spanish-speaking.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:53 AM
Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycox8ball@gmail.com View Post
Will you tell me (us) more about the channels you receive with the Walmart antenna? Do you get the Major Networks? Can you receive ESPN or any other sports channels? Do you stream? Do you use Apple TV, Netflix, etc?
See my previous - post # 37. Sorry, I forgot to quote the above, so you could readily see what I was responding to.
Closed Thread

Tags
vent, plastic, pipe, hole, antenna

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.