Overcharge by moving companies

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2021, 06:30 AM
Default Overcharge by moving companies

When we signed the deal with a moving company in Northern Virginia they estimated $17,369.65. We are being charged $19,728.31, an overcharge of $2358.

Their explanation:

"Your initial Interstate estimate was based on an estimated weight. Your delivery to FL was based off of the actual weight and packing. Atlas charges and the non binding estimate are based on the actuals. Your local portion was higher because there was an increase in the packing when your shipment was picked up. "

They offered no details. So a moving company can estimate X to get you to sign, then charge you X + Y when the delivery is done.

Sweet business model, eh?
Old 06-17-2021, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

If that is what you signed, then I don't think you have anything to complain about. You made agreement based on an estimate. How are you being overcharged?

I just wonder what you moved that couldn't have been replaced with new stuff for less money.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Es·​ti·​mate | \ ˈe-stə-ˌmāt \
estimated; estimating
Definition of estimate (Entry 1 of 2)
transitive verb

1a: to judge tentatively or approximately the value, worth, or significance of
b: to determine roughly the size, extent, or nature of
c: to produce a statement of the approximate cost of

Estimate | Definition of Estimate by Merriam-Webster

-Tom Petty
Old 06-17-2021, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Just curious, did the moving company come to your house and look at what you had before estimating the weight or did they make the estimate based on information you provided?

Our move was based on information we provided. If I remember correctly, our estimate was adjusted to the final number after packing and loading. I don't recall how much ours increased (not much) but a friend had their increase about 50%. Your increase of about 10% doesn't seem outrageous.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-17-2021, 07:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Check Florida Law

I believe that Florida has established a rather new law governing Moving Companies and holding a person(s) belongings hostage is a rather serious violation of the law and there are serious consequences.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

We once had a mover, who after quoting a price and signing a contract for a small truck within the same town, stopped unloading at about half-way, then demanded full payment that was about 30% above contract agreement. We had no choice, their plan obviously, to pay it at the time but got lucky in that we won in small claims court, but I'll bet most people caught up in this obvious scam don't even bother to fight it.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Since the moving part went up only about 10% they were within their rights to charge more.

Years ago when we moved from NY to Va the same thing happened but they were limited to a 10% increase over estimated weight.

BTW did you ask more than one moving company to quote and if so were estimates close.

How many pounds of stuff did you move? When we moved here last year we had what we thought was a ton of stuff and only paid just over 5 thousand.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Since the moving part went up only about 10% they were within their rights to charge more.

Years ago when we moved from NY to Va the same thing happened but they were limited to a 10% increase over estimated weight.

BTW did you ask more than one moving company to quote and if so were estimates close.

How many pounds of stuff did you move? When we moved here last year we had what we thought was a ton of stuff and only paid just over 5 thousand.
Wow. A ton of stuff (2,000 pounds) for $5,000. That's $2.50 per pound, which is about 5 times the going rate for a long distance move. (Just kidding, but accurate)
Old 06-17-2021, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Not sure what is going on here. In 2013 we moved from PA. Estimated cost was around $8000, this was for 1/2 of a large (60 ft?) truck packed full, and a second truck with a car. When the stuff arrived we were told they under estimated the weight, but our contract (United Van lines) was a fixed price contract. Gave the crew a nice tip but it did not cover the added cost.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
When we signed the deal with a moving company in Northern Virginia they estimated $17,369.65. We are being charged $19,728.31, an overcharge of $2358.

Their explanation:

"Your initial Interstate estimate was based on an estimated weight. Your delivery to FL was based off of the actual weight and packing. Atlas charges and the non binding estimate are based on the actuals. Your local portion was higher because there was an increase in the packing when your shipment was picked up. "

They offered no details. So a moving company can estimate X to get you to sign, then charge you X + Y when the delivery is done.

Sweet business model, eh?
My sister at one time was the bookkeeper for a moving company. So I had the inside information.

It is sort of like you stepping into the ring with a professional boxer. They know and use all the angles. Typically they send an agent, a paid salesman. He pulls out his laptop and counts what you have couch two, tables seven. His program puts in the average weight of a couch a table etc. They then print an estimate. They will not tell you but it is based on what is called the tariff rate. They must file that number with the government it is based on weight and mileage. They will not give you that number. You can easily figure it out as they must estimate the weight and the estimate shows if the weight is honest what the tariff rate is Honest weight does no really matter if you are using the estimate to figure what the tariff rate is.

You contact several companies and compare the quote. Obviously if they underestimate the weight their quote will be lower. For a comparison you want to compare the tariff rate. Which you can easily figure for yourself.

As you ride down a highway you will see exits marked weigh station. A truck must stop at regular intervals and be weighed.

The gocha works two ways. If, the tariff rate is say .57 a hundred pounds. They can and do charge you more for weight over the estimate. For us, if I recall .57 was the rate we paid. Our salesman worked the scam backwards. Since he knew I knew about tariff rate, I moved some heavy machinery. He told me he could not estimate the weight of my machines so he would add in extra weight and it would be credited back when the actual weight was determined. What he did not mention they were charging me .57 per hundred pounds but the credit as in the fine print of the contract is .13 cents per hundred.

My point, they can only steal from you if you allow it. My first name is David. I'm sure all know the story of David vs Goliath and who won. A lot of work, a lot of time but I got the overcharge back.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:36 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=villagetinker;1961036]Not sure what is going on here. In 2013 we moved from PA. Estimated cost was around $8000, this was for 1/2 of a large (60 ft?) truck packed full, and a second truck with a car. When the stuff arrived we were told they under estimated the weight, but our contract (United Van lines) was a fixed price contract. Gave the crew a nice tip but it did not cover the added cost.[/QUOTE

Interesting, read my previous post. My mover was Mayflower. United Van Lines owns Mayflower or the other way around.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Wow. A ton of stuff (2,000 pounds) for $5,000. That's $2.50 per pound, which is about 5 times the going rate for a long distance move. (Just kidding, but accurate)
In Va a ton of weight equals 9000 pounds in a month that starts with a letter from the first half of the alphabet and 10,000 pounds in a month starting with the second half.

All bets are off in a leap year for a reason nobody remembers.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
We once had a mover, who after quoting a price and signing a contract for a small truck within the same town, stopped unloading at about half-way, then demanded full payment that was about 30% above contract agreement. We had no choice, their plan obviously, to pay it at the time but got lucky in that we won in small claims court, but I'll bet most people caught up in this obvious scam don't even bother to fight it.
Law is different for interstate movers. Small claims court. I've used it twice in my life and collected both times. To do it right, to win and be able to collect takes a fair amount of time. If, I recall it cost me like 12.00 to file a case. I posted than once and someone corrected me. In Florida, I looked it up, the fees are far higher and they go up with the amount of the case. A major problem is collecting after you win.
Not sure if they help you to collect and that justifies the far higher fees.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:42 AM
Default Use PODS

Moved to The Villages using one 16’ pod packed floor to ceiling. Total cost around $2500. Bought some lighter colored furniture after we moved in. Don’t spend $20,000 moving. That is just pure insanity!
Old 06-18-2021, 04:47 AM

I worked in the moving and storage industry for 50 years before retiring. Movers give you an option of two estimates, one is binding one is non-binding. Apparently the option you chose was non-binding. Therefore your final bill is based upon the actual services rendered not on the estimate.
Closed Thread

Tags
based, moving, estimate, overcharge, delivery

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.