Packing to move in questions

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ to Villages (Pennecamp) in December 2010.
Default Packing to move in questions

We settle on 12/14 and as suggested we have been dumping as much "stuff" as we can. But I was wondering. If I use a lawn service - will I have any need for a spreader, what about a rake? Got a lot of garden tools and just wondering what I might really use. Answers appreciated.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

As far as garden tools goes it depends on what you like to do. Thus I would take a hose and a couple of tools. If by lawn service you mean cut the grass you will need a spreader. You can hire a seperate service and leave the spreader behind. I think I would bring it.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Veteran member

Most people in our neighborhood use a lawn service just for cutting the grass and edging. It's just too hot in the summer to do it yourself week after week. A lot of folks do their own fertilizing since it's only a few times a year and can save quite a bit of money. So bring the spreader and leave the rake behind. If you have tools to trim the bushes, bring them along.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Sage

Personally, if you have a lawn rake, I'd bring it. If you have a magnolia tree in your yard, the leaves fall. If you have bushes that need to be trimmed, you'll have to rake. If you don't have the space to bring it, get one here if you need it, they're not terribly expensive.

Hurry home, there will be a light burning in the window for you...
Old 11-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Sage

Bring a hoe to fight off the critters.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Sage

We have a lawn cutting service plus a pest control service. We find that everything grows like it's on steroids here in Florida.

We bought "basic" two hoses and gardening implements here, and we use them all. I use clippers to prune our robelinni's and knock-out rose bushes. I use gardening gloves. And a rake. Even if you don't have trees, your neighbours may have trees that "shed" on your lawn. And bring a ladder to trim your palm trees.

Oh heck, pack it all. You can get rid of it here if you don't need it.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Veteran member

I cut and trim and save $45 a month. Also put down Scotts 4 times a year. Bring the garden tools you can always get rid of them if you don't like the outside work.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Bring a hoe to fight off the critters.

Or you can use a 9 iron to fight off the hoes, I mean critters.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

As someone who is a pack rat, and worse, a sentimental pack rat, I probably overpaid a mover a lot of money to bring stuff down here that we have eventually sold or discarded. My VERY STRONG advice to you is to take a serious look and what you are bringing and if you can't justify bringing something get rid of it. You will be doing yourself a BIG favor.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdraig View Post
As someone who is a pack rat, and worse, a sentimental pack rat, I probably overpaid a mover a lot of money to bring stuff down here that we have eventually sold or discarded. My VERY STRONG advice to you is to take a serious look and what you are bringing and if you can't justify bringing something get rid of it. You will be doing yourself a BIG favor.
Too Late!!!

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.