Packing and Moving Question

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Default Packing and Moving Question

Couldn't find anything in "search" specifically addressing my question. Did anyone have problems with a mover if most boxes are packed by the homeowner? We aren't bringing any furniture, except a piano and a refrigerator, just clothes, personal items, etc. We are starting to pack some boxes in preparation for our move, and thought I'd ask if any of you had issues with the moving company because you packed the boxes. I'm assuming they aren't responsible for damage to owner-packed boxes, unless they damage a box in shipment.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:27 PM

We used Mayflower and my wife did all the packing using our boxes and their's. When they came to pick up our stuff, they padded the furniture we were taking and loaded the boxes she packed. No problem and everything arrived without a single broken piece.

Good luck on your move.

Jim
Old 07-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile Get it in writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
Couldn't find anything in "search" specifically addressing my question. Did anyone have problems with a mover if most boxes are packed by the homeowner? We aren't bringing any furniture, except a piano and a refrigerator, just clothes, personal items, etc. We are starting to pack some boxes in preparation for our move, and thought I'd ask if any of you had issues with the moving company because you packed the boxes. I'm assuming they aren't responsible for damage to owner-packed boxes, unless they damage a box in shipment.

Thanks in advance!
If you are concerned about this, your very best bet is to ask the mover. If you are REALLY concerned about this, I suggest you get the mover's response in writing. Nothing any of us say will have the slightest influence if something becomes damaged on the trip regardless of who damages it unless you have the agreement in writing. I'm not an attorney but I am speaking from experience. Get it in writing.

Joaniesmom

PS Wishing you a pleasant and safe trip to TV!

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPete View Post
We used Mayflower and my wife did all the packing using our boxes and their's. When they came to pick up our stuff, they padded the furniture we were taking and loaded the boxes she packed. No problem and everything arrived without a single broken piece.

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
If you are concerned about this, your very best bet is to ask the mover. If you are REALLY concerned about this, I suggest you get the mover's response in writing. Nothing any of us say will have the slightest influence if something becomes damaged on the trip regardless of who damages it unless you have the agreement in writing. I'm not an attorney but I am speaking from experience. Get it in writing.

Joaniesmom
Thank you both for the response. I feel a little more comfortable and will certainly ask the mover (once selected) their policy and will ask in writing.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

I am having a problem with Mayflower right now.Our things were picked up June 20.We were first told 3 days to get your things to Fl,then 5-6 days then no later than July 5th.Well Monday I was told would not be July 5th.They had no date to give me.Well after much complaining to Pittsburgh office,then national office my things are finally being sent by container with independant contractor arranged by Mayflower.They are sending things to Mayflower depot in Orlando and then we wait more till they decide when to ship it to us here in the Villages.So beware!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatherer47 View Post
I am having a problem with Mayflower right now.Our things were picked up June 20.We were first told 3 days to get your things to Fl,then 5-6 days then no later than July 5th.Well Monday I was told would not be July 5th.They had no date to give me.Well after much complaining to Pittsburgh office,then national office my things are finally being sent by container with independant contractor arranged by Mayflower.They are sending things to Mayflower depot in Orlando and then we wait more till they decide when to ship it to us here in the Villages.So beware!
Thanks for the heads up. Seems several others had an issue with Mayflower. I guess everyone can run into delivery problems at times. We were thinking about a U-Haul, since we aren't bringing furniture, but now are thinking about going the moving company route.

I hope your things get there fairly soon. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Moving a piano and Refrigerator! Don't move those yourself unless you have a very strong back as its not worth it! They charge by the pound and both of those items are heavy. Unless they have a lot of sentimental value to you or your "rich"----give them away to someone who could use them and save yourself a lot of "trouble" and $$$$. I totally understand if they really have personal value to you. We had a piano moved three different times but not the last time. We can see it when we visit our Son. Good luck and have a safe trip to the BEST retirement village in the country.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Default Not my idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Moving a piano and Refrigerator! Don't move those yourself unless you have a very strong back as its not worth it! They charge by the pound and both of those items are heavy. Unless they have a lot of sentimental value to you or your "rich"----give them away to someone who could use them and save yourself a lot of "trouble" and $$$$. I totally understand if they really have personal value to you. We had a piano moved three different times but not the last time. We can see it when we visit our Son. Good luck and have a safe trip to the BEST retirement village in the country.
If I had my way we would, but piano (at least) has sentimental value to DW. The "fridge" may be up for discussion. No, we're not rich and I'll assure you I wouldn't even begin to move those myself. But, I do have some strong backs available.

Thanks for the good wishes. We can hardly wait to call TV - HOME!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

i packed myself and was happy i did
Old 07-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Veteran member

Just talked to Mayflower rep.Starting today for everday we don't get our shipment ,we will be reimbursed at rate of $100 per day. None of our goods were essentials since we bought a furnished house and already have lots of clothes here,As far as I'm concerned they can now take as long as they want.Maybe we can get my amount due Mayflower down to $0.Of course the wife feels different[she wants her stuff]
Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Default Who moved you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
i packed myself and was happy i did
I feel better packing my own stuff too. I worked for a moving company a summer during college and learned how to pack properly. Our "straw boss" picked up each box we packed during training and if anything rattled, we had to unpack and repack the box (which you didn't want to do).

Plus, we picked up a bunch of free boxes and paper through U-Haul website. An Army officer just came to Montgomery to go to Air Command and Staff College (Maxwell AFB) and did a self-move. We got dish packs, wardrobe cartons, large and extra large boxes and one box and 4 trash bags full of packing paper. He paid $600 for everything.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Sage

We used Superior Movers coming form S. Florida and packed all our own boxes. I had many boxes marked "this side up" and used arrows on all four sides. They put the boxes in according to how they fit in the truck, and ignored my arrows. I had spilled insectside on important papers and spills that warped several things. They put a heavy safe on my kitchen table scratching it and there were several things we never got that I saw loaded on the truck. There were 3 family moves on that truck and I couldn't see how they could determine where mine stopped and the others began.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.