Palm Trees

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2020, 04:03 PM

Sa also palms, similar to those on the golf courses, are much less maintenance than the cheaper queens. I cut off fronds maybe twice a year and they don’t have the huge seed pods that are a monthly problem. Sa also are also indigenous, queens are not, so they survive better. I have had mine for 8 years and love them, highly recommend even if they are more expensive...
Old 11-24-2020, 05:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I have the perfect solution. Our CYV wall backs to a major road and TV has palms in the right of way behind the wall. We get to enjoy looking at them and have no responsibility for maintaining them.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:40 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

We have ours trimmed twice a year and enjoy them the rest of the time. We have stone around them and have had no trouble with rats, snakes or bugs.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I had 5 Queen's and 2 Sylvester's in my previous yard; our new home in Bradford has 1 Robellini Palm and that will be the only one.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:47 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Palm trees are lovely.

do they require a lot of maintenance?
They sure do ! And the fruit from queens are really a mess !
Old 11-24-2020, 08:47 PM

You never stop paying for palms.....had to have them.....ended up costing us dearly with maintenance, rodents eating wiring to cars, ac, and pool equipment.........and then thousands of dollars to have removed. Enjoy others and save yourself lots of money and time.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:58 AM
Default Costly Maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
And all Queen Palms, although sold here out of their zone tolerance, will suffer from "Butt Rot" and will eventually die. Insects in the trunk will bring woodpeckers too that can destroy a palm in a month or two unless you systemically rid the palm of its bugs. I have two, planted 17 years ago, that I baby sit. I notice that The Villages does not plant Queens on their house lots. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
Maintenance - YES, but Beautiful - also YES.

Skip
The same here, 18 year old queens, the seed pods are so messy if you don’t keep them cut out, the woodpeckers have destroyed one of ours, the bugs are awful and we are charged $20 a Palm to trim. Yes, costly.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:54 AM

I have 2 mule palms in my yard which are easy to take care of. The Mule Palm is a cross between the Pindo Palm, and the common Queen Palm. Surprisingly, this hybrid single trunk palm looks nothing like either parent. And, most think it's far superior in appearance and overall appeal. It almost looks like a Coconut Palm.
Closed Thread

Tags
palm, trees, lovely, require, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.