Parking for idiots

Old 01-30-2024, 07:05 AM

I agree that people who do not live in the Villages say the most derogatory things about T. V. and Villagers.

We've probably all had conversations about The Villages with friends and acquaintances who don't live in T.V. over the years. I have concluded that folks who do not live here have misconceptions that are hard to change, unfortunately. Some people believe anything they hear or see as truth.

While the picture is evidence, it's not evident WHO parked it, so we shouldn't jump to conclusions.
The second that I saw the Title of this thread, I knew it was a generalization about a Villagers, but found it interesting that it was from a New Poster here on this site, and it was of a derogatory nature.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
place a note on their windshield this is not acceptable. Should be more police issuing tickets.
Oh yeah. Here we go again. Have a minor complaint?? Call a cop. A pkg violation is the lowest lowest priority to cops. And if the cop was seen writing a pkg ticket, people would say…..doesn’t he have anything better to do??.? Lol.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:04 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
"Many"?

Some, undoubtedly. Such people exist everywhere. But blowing the number out of proportion does no one any good. A few disgruntled people can make a LOT of noise.

We've been here going on four years now, and to be honest I've made as many if not more friends among the locals as we do among Villagers. We've routinely done farm-sitting for a couple some miles from TV and it has proven to be an enjoyable time (except the time the bull got out). The neighbors out there proved helpful and accommodating as well. I've gotten to know a former local police officer who is a fascinating source of information. We've gotten to know locals from church who are fine, friendly folks. And so on.

I've found that if you give people a fair shake, in the great majority of cases they're more than willing to reciprocate--and that goes for people everywhere. Of course there are going to be folks, singly and in small groups, who thrive on dissention. But it is those who buy into the "us against them" thing that both cause and perpetuate the problems.
I think you are right. However, in addition to a lot of noise, the haters can also cause a lot of problems. I saw a letter to the editor recently on the news site that shall not be named, from a disgruntled resident of Leesburg. She was upset that some CDDs have stopped accepting anonymous deed compliance complaints. Her letter made it clear she hates Villagers and submitted compliance complaints to fight against Villagers. This letter was the clearest evidence I have seen indicating that the CDDs that stop accepting anonymous complaints and or insist on Village residency are right.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon2dad View Post
This is obviously one of the entitled among us.
Let's see how the youth of today will park once their eyes and brain stop working.

I was walking into publix other day. Helped 3 different guys find their vehicles. One guy couldn't even tell me what he drove. I had to go get one of the cart workers to help them so I could do my shopping.

Just do not assume the people you see here are in their right mind. Try kindness first.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
The poster was referring to a FB group about bad driving in TV. Have you been to the site? Did you join? If not, you have no place correcting that poster because they are spot on about the hatred toward villagers. The hatred outside the bubble is rampant. Even people who work in TV bitch and complain about the villagers. But they probably read this board....
I know of the site. I don't subscribe to Facebook but my wife does and I read it on her device from time to time. I know what is there.

I also had a paid subscription to V I L L A G E S - N E W S, which I dropped because I don't want to subsidize anyone grinding an axe. I read the comments there too. Exhaustively. It just bears out what was previously stated: a few malcontents (maybe 5 to 10) posting under an endless variety of screen names and spewing an endless stream of vitriol; folks who are apparently allowed to continue posting there even though their posts continually break the Terms of Service that the paper referenced so piously claims to honor.

But just to turn the tables a bit...have any folks reflecting the opinions of the post being responded to actually ever made any effort to get to KNOW some local folks, that is, beyond an occasional desultory impersonal greeting to the people who might cut the grass or collect the trash? If not, then I submit that any opinions posted by such people are merely reflections of their own prejudices, meaningless regurgitations of the opinions of other people, merely because those opinions reflect THEIR baseless opinions.

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 01-30-2024 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robojo View Post
Let's see how the youth of today will park once their eyes and brain stop working.

I was walking into publix other day. Helped 3 different guys find their vehicles. One guy couldn't even tell me what he drove. I had to go get one of the cart workers to help them so I could do my shopping.

Just do not assume the people you see here are in their right mind. Try kindness first.
Wise words.

I've never yet paid a price for being courteous. I'll add "kind" to that list. People should ALWAYS try to see things from the other side of the fence rather than just jerking their knee.

From the other side of that fence...some years back, living in a medium-sized town in Minnesota, I witnessed a car trying to make it up a rather small hill. January, just after a snowfall and with the temps. maybe at 30 degrees or so and the roads not yet plowed...anyone who has ever driven in a Minnesota winter knows exactly what that means. Anyway, the car was stalled about mid-hill, helplessly spinning its tires in the slush. Finally it stopped spinning and just sat there. I approached the car: the woman (girl, actually, maybe 19-20) was sitting there crying. She told me that she had just called the cops hoping they could help. "I'm from FLORIDA", she said loudly. "I don't know how to drive in this stuff!"

I told her I could help, and said that I'd direct her back down the hill. She looked at me sort of incredulously and said "but I want to go UP the hill!" I acknowledged that, but said that the only way up was to gather some speed first and that spinning her tires was a wasted exercise. I told her that I'd go to the bottom of the hill and when there was no traffic approaching I'd motion her to back up. She did so, but the look on her face was skeptical to say the least. Anyway once she got to the bottom I told her to gather speed SLOWLY going up, keeping the tires turning but not spinning. She did so, and crested the hill. A couple of honks on her horn signaled that all was well.

The cops showed up about five minutes later and got quite a chuckle out of the story.

You never know just who, or with what abilities, the people are on the other side of that fence.

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 01-30-2024 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Can be any parking lot across the nation. Some people just can’t drive. Someone my have parked bad before and the car in question might be victim?

It’s private property and really none of our business. We are do not authority or parking lot monitors. Just shake you head or mumble obscene language under your breath and drive on by.

Actually if you NOT let it bother you will have nicer lower blood pressure day which might help when real inconvenience happens..
Old 01-30-2024, 08:52 AM
Default Get a hobby!

Quote:
Wow this was really worth posting? You have no idea how the guy before was parked. You and some of the other commenters need a better hobby than whining at others.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:55 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Jus like the "news" website..............

may or may not be in The Villages

many pictures are two, five, etc., years old

Please, can we talk about dog poop.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Where is a cop when you need them.......
Old 01-30-2024, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The golf cart is in a disabled person’s parking spot, as is the white vehicle. Unable to see if either has the required license to be there. Too bad the red car’s license is obscured, you could have sent the photo to the sheriff an requested prosecution. Or, some kind citizen could get some very sticky paper and put it on the red car’s windshield with a note asking them to be aware of disabled parking place restrictions. After about 20 or 30 minutes of scraping to get the paper off so they could see to drive the red car, they might get the message.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:28 AM
Default Entitled

Quote:
No one is entitled to do this. Saw this same scene at Walmart. Call the police. I did!
Old 01-30-2024, 11:27 AM
Default Parking

Quote:
You know, I must be getting calloused as I’ve lived here 2 years and every day I shake my head at the behaviors I see that are so inappropriate. I try to keep a wide berth from those that are acting out.

There is nothing we can do to stop these behaviors. If you confront them you may not like the response you get.

I guess the police could be called but I believe they have much bigger fish to fry.

Just shake your head and move on with a sunny beautiful day!
Old 01-30-2024, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
I think you are right. However, in addition to a lot of noise, the haters can also cause a lot of problems. I saw a letter to the editor recently on the news site that shall not be named, from a disgruntled resident of Leesburg. She was upset that some CDDs have stopped accepting anonymous deed compliance complaints. Her letter made it clear she hates Villagers and submitted compliance complaints to fight against Villagers. This letter was the clearest evidence I have seen indicating that the CDDs that stop accepting anonymous complaints and or insist on Village residency are right.
Yes, my CDD, stopped anonymous complaints. But I am not surprised about the haters. The better off are invariably hated everywhere - jealousy? There is no choice but to protect themselves from them.

Last edited by Velvet; 01-30-2024 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:30 PM

Looks like the way they park in NY

Tags
parking, idiots, entitled

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.