Path closure by Lake Sumter

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2022, 11:39 AM
Default Path closure by Lake Sumter

New to The Villages since last Nov. Curious why the MMP (aka golf cart path) has a closure of a small section by Lake Sumter? Just before the Winn Dixie parking lot where you cut through to the road to then get back onto the MMP. Why was that section barricaded? Seems a “long” ways around versus just taking the path straight. Maybe because it was difficult to cross Lake Sumter Landing road then to continue on the path? Maybe a serious accident happened there? Anyone know why?
Old 07-03-2022, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Was a dangerous intersection for cart traffic.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
New to The Villages since last Nov. Curious why the MMP (aka golf cart path) has a closure of a small section by Lake Sumter? Just before the Winn Dixie parking lot where you cut through to the road to then get back onto the MMP. Why was that section barricaded? Seems a “long” ways around versus just taking the path straight. Maybe because it was difficult to cross Lake Sumter Landing road then to continue on the path? Maybe a serious accident happened there? Anyone know why?
the original design there put the MMP crossing too close to the roundabout, for the amount of traffic. I don't know if there was a bad accident or if it was identified as dangerous before there was a crash. The traffic was rerouted through the Winn Dixie parking lot to make it safer for carts to get across Lake Sumter Landing.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:17 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Looked too narrow for a two way cart path and has been that way for more than 9 years(that I've been here). Always thought of it as a more direct route for walker and casual bikers. I doubt it had to do with safety at all as most of know it's always hazardous when senior citizens are involved.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
…I doubt it had to do with safety at all as most of know it's always hazardous when senior citizens are involved.
It definitely was a safety issue. As mentioned earlier, one end was way too close to the roundabout and made crossing Lake Sumter Landing very difficult and dangerous.
Old 07-03-2022, 02:10 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Interesting. Seems pretty simple to curve it bit to join the road furthur from the round about. It seems to me that getting on the road with cars, making a left turn at the light, and then basically cutting through the Winn Dixie lot with that traffic poses safety concerns of its own.

I've taken the previous route many times on my bike without concern for the roundabout. But, again, that could be resolved easily.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 07-03-2022, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Interesting. Seems pretty simple to curve it bit to join the road furthur from the round about. It seems to me that getting on the road with cars, making a left turn at the light, and then basically cutting through the Winn Dixie lot with that traffic poses safety concerns of its own.

I've taken the previous route many times on my bike without concern for the roundabout. But, again, that could be resolved easily.
If you moved it further from the roundabout, it would have to get closer to the signalized intersection. That would not be good either. I think it’s fine the way it is now.

I also ride my bike through that area almost every day.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:48 PM

We lived here before they made the change! It was often very difficult (and time consuming) waiting for a break in the traffic sufficient to cross both lanes. It is so much better only having to watch oncoming traffic exiting the roundabout and cross just one traffic lane! IMO, a big improvement and much safer for all concerned!
Old 07-04-2022, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

Saw a cart trying to go around the posts one day!
Old 07-05-2022, 06:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
It’s a bike/pedestrian path; been that way the 8 yrs we’ve been here.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8xwb View Post
We lived here before they made the change! It was often very difficult (and time consuming) waiting for a break in the traffic sufficient to cross both lanes. It is so much better only having to watch oncoming traffic exiting the roundabout and cross just one traffic lane! IMO, a big improvement and much safer for all concerned!
I agree, if there had been room for an island like most of the crossing, the carts could have gone half way, stopped, and waited for the traffic in the opposite direction to clear. This was already changed when we moved here so I never had the chance to experience the original design.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:11 AM

Something similar to the cart crossing at Colony, where a signal light was eventually installed. Not enough room to do that at Sumter.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Talk about having the MMP close to a roundabout. Old Mill Run and Buena Vista can be insane. Should have gone under like Stillwater Trail.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:23 PM

Looks to me like a walking trail. Too narrow for golf carts
Old 07-08-2022, 04:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
I heard from my cousin’s aunt’s mother-in-law that Winn Dixie paid a couple million to have carts routed through their parking lot. Something about advertising

Tags
path, lake, sumter, section, mmp

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.