Patient at hospital walks out

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2022, 12:43 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,554 Times in 421 Posts
Default Patient at hospital walks out

A villager who was hospitalized got up and walked out of the hospital at 5 am and gets hit and killed on 441.
How does a patient get up and walk out and nobody notice?
The hospital is probably going to pay dearly for this one.
Will it be Newlin or Morgan?
(story is on that other site)
Old 08-01-2022, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,999 Times in 4,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
A villager who was hospitalized got up and walked out of the hospital at 5 am and gets hit and killed on 441.
How does a patient get up and walk out and nobody notice?
The hospital is probably going to pay dearly for this one.
Will it be Newlin or Morgan?
(story is on that other site)
It's a hospital, not a prison.
So, the crux of the matter will probably be: Did that patient have full mental capacity? If he/she simply had an uncontrollable desire for Starbucks, that's on him, not the hospital.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:12 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,554 Times in 421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
So, the crux of the matter will probably be: Did that patient have full mental capacity? If he/she simply had an uncontrollable desire for Starbucks, that's on him, not the hospital.
I agree, but still won't stop a lawsuit these days.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,979 Times in 758 Posts

I’m surprised the person was actually admitted. From my experiences visiting friends on floors in The Villages Hospital there is minimal staff not counting Covid. I’ve never had the need to visit ICU units which may be different.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:18 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,979 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
The 52-year-old man, who was a resident of the Lady Lake portion of The Villages, reportedly had been a hospital patient when he wandered away at about 5 a.m. into the northbound lanes of U.S. Hwy. 27/441 near the Il Villagio senior social internet cafe, in the Sumter County portion of Lady Lake.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,975 Times in 2,481 Posts

Easy get up, put in you’re clothes, and walk out. Why would hospital be responsible? I do something stupid and it’s someone else’s fault? I don’t understand that concept? But I do understand how lawyers write the laws so they get paid regardless. Remember it always someone’s else’s fault in eyes of law.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,804 Times in 5,289 Posts

Quote:
LOL. If he didn't have mental capacity, they will probably delete that part from his chart.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
LOL. If he didn't have mental capacity, they will probably delete that part from his chart.
They can't. Everything is EMR (electronic medical records) these days. Even if you delete something, the original remains and only the software vendor can retrieve it, the end user has no ability to permanently delete anything that he/she "erased". Another change in medicine that does nothing to cure disease but certainly aids lawyers.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:42 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
The 52-year-old man, who was a resident of the Lady Lake portion of The Villages, reportedly had been a hospital patient when he wandered away at about 5 a.m. into the northbound lanes of U.S. Hwy. 27/441 near the Il Villagio senior social internet cafe, in the Sumter County portion of Lady Lake.
The really sad thing is, he was still laying in the road at 9:00am. When we passed by this morning.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,804 Times in 5,289 Posts

Quote:
They can't. Everything is EMR (electronic medical records) these days. Even if you delete something, the original remains and only the software vendor can retrieve it, the end user has no ability to permanently delete anything that he/she "erased". Another change in medicine that does nothing to cure disease but certainly aids lawyers.
It was a joke. But, it sounds like you are saying that it could happen before EMR.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,177 Times in 2,790 Posts

The relevant question is why did the patient walk out? Given the location it had to be the Villages Hospital between El Camino Real and 441. Base on many peoples experience there, including mine, he most likely walked out because he got tired of waiting forever for extremely substandard care. It’s an absolute shame that Sumter County is going to great lengths to increase first responder time so that patients can get dumped at that hospital and begin their forever wait a little quicker.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It was a joke. But, it sounds like you are saying that it could happen before EMR.
Could, and probably did. Paper records can be ripped up, shredded, burned and otherwise bent, spindled and mutilated. Especially if someone got wind that a lawsuit might be forthcoming. Sad commentary, but well within the bounds of likelihood.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,132 Times in 418 Posts

If the patient had been actually admitted, The Villages Regional Hospital is so badly understaffed that he could have gotten dressed, walked out, and not been missed for quite some time, maybe hours!

My own experience recently was having to wait in the ER for about 12 hours to get a 15-minute procedure ordered by my doctor. When they finally performed the procedure they got it wrong, apparently as the result of the incorrect entry of the written doctor’s order into the ER computer. Late at night the halls of the ER were lined with patients on gurneys, presumably waiting for admission to the hospital because of inadequate staffing.

What was even more aggravating was, after the completion of my ordered procedure at about 3:45 AM, they would not discharge me because there was no doctor to sign the discharge order until he arrived at the start of his shift at 5 AM. No doctor in the Emergency Room of a large hospital? Unbelievable!

My primary care physician told me that everyone had hoped that care at TVRH would improve with the ownership and management of UF Health, but that has not happened. In fact, it has gotten worse. With the obvious problems UF Health is having staffing both TVRH and Leesburg Regional Hospital, it’s hard to imagine how they could possibly consider building a new, larger teaching hospital south of route 44.

Last edited by Villages Kahuna; 08-02-2022 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:17 AM
Veteran member

Easy. Get dressed ( perhaps) and leave. A hospital is not a prison and a patient can simply leave.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:18 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,206 Times in 467 Posts

That happened many years ago to my father in law. Got up in the middle of the night and wandered out of the hospital, knocked on someone’s door and asked to be taken home. He was returned safely but the hospital was going to keep it a secret. Unfortunately for them, word got around and his daughter in law, who was an employee there got wind of it. People are sometimes sedated and behave, either because of that or related to their illness, may be confused and act inappropriately. I am glad that the snarky stupid remarks here show the lack of understanding I often see. Nasty. By the way, doors cannot be locked from the inside, it creates a fire hazard and the hospital probably does bed checks but would not have guards watching every patient. I hope, when these nasty remarking people are hospitalized, that they get what they give.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospital, patient, pay, notice, dearly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.