Patient at hospital walks out

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2022, 05:37 AM

Why is everyone questioning how the man walked out? Who cares. He had a right even if it was against doctors orders. The question is why would someone hit and kill a pedestrian. That’s what headlights are for. Poor guy!
Old 08-02-2022, 05:39 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
lol. If he didn't have mental capacity, they will probably delete that part from his chart.
nothing lol about this tragedy
Old 08-02-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
If the patient had been actually admitted, The Villages Regional Hospital is so badly understaffed that he could have gotten dressed, walked out, and not been missed for quite some time, maybe hours!

My own experience recently was having to wait in the ER for about 12 hours to get a 15-minute procedure ordered by my doctor. When they finally performed the procedure they got it wrong, apparently as the result of the incorrect entry of the written doctor’s order into the ER computer. Late at night the halls of the ER were lined with patients on gurneys, presumably waiting for admission to the hospital because of inadequate staffing.

What was even more aggravating was, after the completion of my ordered procedure at about 3:45 AM, they would not discharge me because there was no doctor to sign the discharge order until he arrived at the start of his shift at 5 AM. No doctor in the Emergency Room of a large hospital? Unbelievable!

My primary care physician told me that everyone had hoped that care at TVRH would improve with the ownership and management of UF Health, but that has not happened. In fact, it has gotten worse. With the obvious problems UF Health is having staffing both TVRH and Leesburg Regional Hospital, it’s hard to imagine how they could possibly consider building a new, larger teaching hospital south of route 44.
I couldn’t have said it better. Perhaps when the new teaching hospital is active they will finally close this criminally operated dungeon.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
A villager who was hospitalized got up and walked out of the hospital at 5 am and gets hit and killed on 441.
How does a patient get up and walk out and nobody notice?
The hospital is probably going to pay dearly for this one.
Will it be Newlin or Morgan?
(story is on that other site)
it depends. S.O.P. states they can sign a release and leave. if that happened there is no law suit.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,770 Times in 5,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
it depends. S.O.P. states they can sign a release and leave. if that happened there is no law suit.
I agree, if he signed a release. But, I doubt that he signed a release at 5am. If there is a lawsuit, I think it would be based on inadequate observation of a patient who was given medication. The fact that the hospital requires a release form would seem to work against them.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:00 AM
Default Ama

As a retired nurse, I am familiar with the process involved with a patient who wants to leave AMA (against medical advice). If a patient expresses a desire to leave, it is the responsibility of the nurse and physician to explain the risks involved with leaving AMA and the benefits to the patient for staying. All of this should be documented in the EMR. If the patient still refuses to stay, he/she should be requested to sign the AMA form that indicates it is the patient’s choice to leave the hospital. To hold a patient at the hospital against his/her will is considered battery.

We don’t know all of the circumstances in this particular situation and whether this type of interaction occurred with the patient. We don’t know his mental capacity. This incident should definitely be investigated throughly by the hospital’s Quality Department to learn exactly what occurred so that possible changes to processes can be identified. There have been legal cases where nurses and physicians were sued for the death of an AMA patient and won in court because they had followed all of the proper procedures. No one should jump to conclusions without full knowledge of what actually took place. It is indeed sad that this death occurred, but it may not be the hospital’s fault.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
If the patient had been actually admitted, The Villages Regional Hospital is so badly understaffed that he could have gotten dressed, walked out, and not been missed for quite some time, maybe hours!

My own experience recently was having to wait in the ER for about 12 hours to get a 15-minute procedure ordered by my doctor. When they finally performed the procedure they got it wrong, apparently as the result of the incorrect entry of the written doctor’s order into the ER computer. Late at night the halls of the ER were lined with patients on gurneys, presumably waiting for admission to the hospital because of inadequate staffing.

What was even more aggravating was, after the completion of my ordered procedure at about 3:45 AM, they would not discharge me because there was no doctor to sign the discharge order until he arrived at the start of his shift at 5 AM. No doctor in the Emergency Room of a large hospital? Unbelievable!

My primary care physician told me that everyone had hoped that care at TVRH would improve with the ownership and management of UF Health, but that has not happened. In fact, it has gotten worse. With the obvious problems UF Health is having staffing both TVRH and Leesburg Regional Hospital, it’s hard to imagine how they could possibly consider building a new, larger teaching hospital south of route 44.
Under staffing is a U.S. wide problem, not just here. It isn't just hospitals that are under staffed, have you seen all the help wanted signs posted at businesses in the area. We were in Tennessee a few weeks back and it is the same there, not enough employees.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:34 AM
Unhappy walked out of the hospital

Wow so many opinions...why not wait to see what actually happened. Plus a man died so lets have some sympathy instead of bashing the hospital the patient the staff etc.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:58 AM

I'd go with Morgan and Morgan
Old 08-02-2022, 09:28 AM

I was just released from the Villages hospital after three and a half weeks and received excellent care even though they were short staffed. All doctors and nurses were professional and caring. Sure, had to wait a bit in the ER prior to treatment and admission but considering this is not the Mayo Clinic I haven’t any complaints.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
The really sad thing is, he was still laying in the road at 9:00am. When we passed by this morning.
Even if a person passes away at home, it takes forever for the medical examiner to complete the report and transport the body. (5 to 9 hours)
Old 08-02-2022, 11:48 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Easy get up, put in you’re clothes, and walk out. Why would hospital be responsible? I do something stupid and it’s someone else’s fault? I don’t understand that concept? But I do understand how lawyers write the laws so they get paid regardless. Remember it always someone’s else’s fault in eyes of law.
Soooo, if you're stupid enough to spill coffee in your lap that you know is extremely hot, then it's the restaurants fault?? Laughing all the way to the bank..
Old 08-02-2022, 11:55 AM
Platinum member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark4me View Post
I'd go with Morgan and Morgan
I don't think I would go with them. I saw in last years DS paper for delinquent taxes, Morgan & Morgan Law Firm was behind in property taxes for a huge sum...
Old 08-02-2022, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,950 Times in 4,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwonone View Post
I couldn’t have said it better. Perhaps when the new teaching hospital is active they will finally close this criminally operated dungeon.
But what do you really think of TVRH????

You can call them a "criminally operated dungeon" until the day you drop dead in front of their hospital, get resuscitated and live another 25 years.
Old 08-02-2022, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Freeman View Post
Why is everyone questioning how the man walked out? Who cares. He had a right even if it was against doctors orders. The question is why would someone hit and kill a pedestrian. That’s what headlights are for. Poor guy!
The patient could have walked out onto the road right in front of the car and the driver did not have any time to react. That is usually how pedestrians are struck by cars, especially at night. I feel more sorry for the driver who will probably live with the guilt for the rest of his/her life.

Tags
hospital, patient, pay, notice, dearly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.