Patient at hospital walks out

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2022, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
If the patient had been actually admitted, The Villages Regional Hospital is so badly understaffed that he could have gotten dressed, walked out, and not been missed for quite some time, maybe hours!

My own experience recently was having to wait in the ER for about 12 hours to get a 15-minute procedure ordered by my doctor. When they finally performed the procedure they got it wrong, apparently as the result of the incorrect entry of the written doctor’s order into the ER computer. Late at night the halls of the ER were lined with patients on gurneys, presumably waiting for admission to the hospital because of inadequate staffing.

What was even more aggravating was, after the completion of my ordered procedure at about 3:45 AM, they would not discharge me because there was no doctor to sign the discharge order until he arrived at the start of his shift at 5 AM. No doctor in the Emergency Room of a large hospital? Unbelievable!

My primary care physician told me that everyone had hoped that care at TVRH would improve with the ownership and management of UF Health, but that has not happened. In fact, it has gotten worse. With the obvious problems UF Health is having staffing both TVRH and Leesburg Regional Hospital, it’s hard to imagine how they could possibly consider building a new, larger teaching hospital south of route 44.
TVRH wasn’t a teaching facility when UF took over. I am surprised your PCP didn’t have input in your care.
However the new UF will be a teaching facility.

Non teaching hospitals have employed staff. So you may only see your physician, once per day, or their partner, the nurse assigned to your room once or twice, and the PCA multiple times, in a 12 hour shift.

Teaching hospitals you get your physician, up to 10 residents, or students. So visits could top multiple hours in a day of Hi I’m ______ could I just ask a few questions, listen to your vitals, and so on.

I personally love working at teaching hospitals, new faces who are eager to learn, because their careers depend on it. Even though as a patient you have a revolving door in your room.

Last edited by asianthree; 08-02-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:47 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,554 Times in 421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
Even if a person passes away at home, it takes forever for the medical examiner to complete the report and transport the body. (5 to 9 hours)
Wow. Just Wow.
Totally different situation, but like 50 percent of this thread responses, this case has absolutely nothing to do with your scenario. I'm sure his family feels so much better for your totally irrelevant reply.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,446 Times in 2,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Wow. Just Wow.
Totally different situation, but like 50 percent of this thread responses, this case has absolutely nothing to do with your scenario. I'm sure his family feels so much better for your totally irrelevant reply.
If you’re truly concerned about how the family feels, maybe starting this thread isn’t a great way to show it. I know I wouldn’t want a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum discussing how my recently passed family member died.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-02-2022, 05:00 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,554 Times in 421 Posts

I wish my experience with TVRH was as perfect as those who defend. I was presented with heart attack symptoms. (it wasn't and they didn't care to explore what it actually was, they just wanted to keep me for a night, run all kinds of tests and then "sorry you're having heart attack symptoms we ruled that out, and we don't really care what is wrong. BYE!) A friend of mine who was a head nurse (and left because of the incompetency) actually advised me to go to Leesburg in the future.
Sad this is what we have, but I'll never darken that door again.

Took me 3 months of pain and going to Leesburg hospital (where a friend of mine had same symptoms and was diagnosed within 6 hours) to find out it was gall bladder.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
If the patient had been actually admitted, The Villages Regional Hospital is so badly understaffed that he could have gotten dressed, walked out, and not been missed for quite some time, maybe hours!

My own experience recently was having to wait in the ER for about 12 hours to get a 15-minute procedure ordered by my doctor. When they finally performed the procedure they got it wrong, apparently as the result of the incorrect entry of the written doctor’s order into the ER computer. Late at night the halls of the ER were lined with patients on gurneys, presumably waiting for admission to the hospital because of inadequate staffing.

What was even more aggravating was, after the completion of my ordered procedure at about 3:45 AM, they would not discharge me because there was no doctor to sign the discharge order until he arrived at the start of his shift at 5 AM. No doctor in the Emergency Room of a large hospital? Unbelievable!

My primary care physician told me that everyone had hoped that care at TVRH would improve with the ownership and management of UF Health, but that has not happened. In fact, it has gotten worse. With the obvious problems UF Health is having staffing both TVRH and Leesburg Regional Hospital, it’s hard to imagine how they could possibly consider building a new, larger teaching hospital south of route 44.
My own experience recently was having to wait in the ER for about 12 hours to get a 15-minute procedure ordered by my doctor. When they finally performed the procedure they got it wrong,

You went to the EMERGENCY ROOM to get a15 minute procedure, and you waited 12 hours? Shame on you.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-02-2022, 11:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Freeman View Post
Why is everyone questioning how the man walked out? Who cares. He had a right even if it was against doctors orders. The question is why would someone hit and kill a pedestrian. That’s what headlights are for. Poor guy!
First, we have no idea why he was in the hospital, so we can not say he had a "right". If he suffers from dementia and the hospital knew it, or if they had reason to believe he was a risk to wander out, they do have an obligation to ensure he is protected while in their care. So, his "right" is limited and we do not know the circumstances.

Second, I read the article and didn't see anything describing the accident (maybe I missed it) so, any comment about the driver and headlights is also assumption.

Sigh, the article was very limited, and that media has a long history of publishing anything they can that might make TV look bad. So, I will wait to draw a conclusion about anything until there are some facts made public.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:03 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
If you’re truly concerned about how the family feels, maybe starting this thread isn’t a great way to show it. I know I wouldn’t want a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum discussing how my recently passed family member died.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:06 AM
Sage

I passed hy this tragedy on the way to BJ's.

Daily Sun said a young woman, maybe 22 years old, hit this person at about 5 AM.

I personally will reserve judgement until all the facts are in!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

Tags
hospital, patient, pay, notice, dearly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.