Patrolling our streets

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp000 View Post
I enjoy reading about all of the tickets our sheriff's department is giving motorist and golf carts. There is definitely a problem with cars, golf carts and bikes not obeying traffic laws, no question about that.
But what about patrolling our streets looking for possible breaking and entering. I haven't seen a patrol car on my street in years. I see plenty on St. Charles and Bailey Trail looking for speeders, but not in the residential areas.
We have Village Watch to patrol our streets, but do they stop if they see an unattended garage door open. Don't think so.
We need more police presence in The Villages. This will help stop crime. With all the break-ins recently, I have installed a security system.
This is only my option, and I could be wrong.
The simple reason, Sheriff's Department is doing very little patrolling.
Patrolling does not pay anything!!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Sumter, Lake and Marion counties are a lot of square miles to cover, not just TV...
That's true, so why do they devote police resources cracking down on golf carts going a few miles faster than they should. The point of the OP was that the limited resources are being misused relative to severity of the problems.

If they truly believe traffic safety is a larger issue than breakins, then they should devote their resources to the traffic circles which are a true safety issue. On the scale of things, golf cart speeders are only slightly more problematic than people not picking up their dog's poop.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Send a message via AIM to Culvers2Villages

We received a call at 2:00 am the other morning from the safety patrol of The Villages. inquiring if we knew our garage door was open... We did not!!! I was so thankful for their call and their patrolling to let us know something looked out of place... I doubt the Police would have made the same call... maybe... but, I am thinking they are much too busy for that type of patrol... So grateful for the call and the Safety Patrol...
Old 02-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Sage

It is my understanding that the roads in villa areas are private, not county. Not sure if patrols would include those roads.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Take your choice, golfcarts going 21 mph or homes being broken into. Police can't be everywhere and they concentrate where the most income for the county is.
Agree, we're easy pickins...
Old 02-15-2014, 04:04 AM

I live in the Village of Woodbury and have seen the Sheriff cars patroling in this area in the neighborhoods...
Old 02-15-2014, 05:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

During my myriad drives around TV, I have seen several Sumter County Sheriff cars patrolling neighborhoods, not just the main roads. I have also seen them pulling over speeders, stop sign runners and other scofflawlers.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that having your home broken into is frightening but not life-threatening. Most burglars are careful to not break into an occupied home. There is no deadlier weapon than an automobile. My grandson was almost killed in an accident last year because someone felt the need to jump a red light. (Not sure how he wasn't severely injured given the condition of the vehicle in which he was riding.) So, I'm glad officers are trying to prevent thefts but I'm especially thankful they are trying to prevent accidents. Tickets are not just a source of revenue they are a very real reminder to slow down and follow traffic laws.

From what I can tell, the police/sheriffs are doing their best to catch these burglars but it will take some luck to do so. It will take an act of stupidity by the thieves or a neighbor catching them in the act. The police might stop a break-in by patrolling but catching someone would be sheer blind luck.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-15-2014, 05:57 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
It is my understanding that the roads in villa areas are private, not county. Not sure if patrols would include those roads.
Pooh, I don't believe so.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

I don't believe for a minute that the Sheriff's patrols focus only on revenue-making operations. While revenue is important and necessary, the Sheriff's Office exists for our safety and I believe THAT is their mission. They do much more than is always publicly visible, and thank God for them.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

I see quite a few Sumter SO cars around TV. I suspect that they adjust where the cars are concentrated based on where there are problems. Do they drive up every street on every watch? Seriously doubt it... I suspect that they do watch areas with a lot of non-resident traffic (read contractors) more carefully.

Alternately, get to know your neighbors. Speak up if something doesn't look right, And don't be afraid to call a neighbor if their garage door is open at 10 pm.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.