3. 12/18/2011- Clark Barrios & Pulse, Town Square
  4. 12/18/2011- Cathy Merkel Duo, Market Square
  5. 12/20/2011- Paul Vesco Band, Market Square
  6. 12/20/2011- Cathy Merkel Trio, Town Square
  7. 12/22/2011- Never Never Band, Market Square
  8. 12/26/2011- Clark Barrios Duo, Market Square
  9. 12/29/2011- Earth Beat, Market Square
  10. 12/31/2011- Never Never Band, Town Square

There may be more, but that's all I could confirm. That's 10 gigs in December. Vesco has still other entertainment associates that perform in The Villages, but not this month.

These are all excellent entertainers. But, if you are missing some of your favorites from the past, or would like to see some new entertainers, I think the Paul Vesco influence explains why you are not.

Barbara Vesco has been head of The Villages Entertainment for a long time. She married Paul Vesco a few years ago. And, now we are seeing his associates in seemingly increasing numbers. Somehow, that just doesn't seem ethical to me. I don't think his influence is conducive to a "free market."

Never Never Band
The Villages Florida

Earth Beat Band
The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
L-R: Clark Barrios, unknown, Cathy Merkel, Paul Vesco

Be on the lookout for other Vesco bands:
The Villages Florida
Old 12-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Veteran member

In my 40-50 years of employment, I can't remember ANY company or business where there was no nepotism.
Personally I don't see anything wrong with it.
The 'recommendee' bears all the responsibility.
All the entertainers you mention are good.
I wouldn't want to see versions of Norman Lee and the Boondock Saints 10 times a month.
Until the entertainment becomes dry and UNentertaining I say stick with it.
Besides there are new people from time to time and the good ones come back. Take DJ Indio............. PLEASE ...........TAKE HIM.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 12-19-2011, 04:07 AM
Dancing Thyme

Interesting observation by OP. Have been wondering why the quality and diversity of music at the squares has changed since I started to visit TV in '07. Didn't realize this might be the case. There was a time when my friends and I would frequent the squares every night because of the top quality entertainment performing, but of late, I barely go there. I've actually heard this from others as well.

Don't mind nepotism, aln, as I am used to it in business also, as long as it maintains quality and services the need. In this case, I'm not sure. Interesting to hear other points of view from those who are veterans of the entertainment at the squares. Just my opinion, of course.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-19-2011, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The fact that there is danceable music somewhere...two somewheres in fact every night of the year here except Christmas and you DON'T have to buy drinks to enjoy it is a wonderful thing all in itself. You can sit and listen and watch the others dance, you can dance, you can line dance, you can talk, you can drink, you can pet dogs. You can people watch.

This is the very first time I have heard anyone say anything negative about the entertainment at the squares.

And the Morses don't pay me, honest. I can't help myself. Why do I have to defend this place? I love this place. I am so glad I am a frog. We have owned a home here almost four years now. Our frogdom started in July. I may change, who knows?

I can't dance. Don't ask me. Merci beaucoup.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-19-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

You get what you pay for.

Last edited by salpal; 12-19-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: wording
Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Sage

I sense this is another one of those "hate the rich developer" who hires/pays them thread.

If the music they provided were sloppy and off-key, then there would be reason to complain. But all these combos and soloists are top notch musicians, and they know how engage the audience.

Booking bands to play for 728 gigs per year at Spanish Springs and Lake Sumter town squares is a huge endeavor.

There's probably no other city in the nation that accomplishes such a feat.....for us who can go there for FREE and don't have to spend a penny if we don't want to.

Plus, during the Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years' season, most good bands are booked a year or years in advance, at a much higher rate than usual. They call the shots.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post
You get what you pay for.
You have to be kidding me!!! The entertainers that Paul Vesco provides are very talented people and would be welcomed in any venue. I assume what you are trying to say by your quote..that these bands are worth nothing because we pay nothing is ridiculus....you are better off staying home and watching reality TV.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:54 AM

I would much prefer the live bands than to have too many DJs. I enjoy Scooter the DJ alot but some of the others..not so much.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Platinum member

Is the Caribbean Chillers full band ever there any more? Probably the best group I have ever heard in The Villages.

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Old 12-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Platinum member
Default Double Dipping

Many months ago I spoke with - not one, but - two entertainers who were being pressured to have Paul Vesco be their sole "agent". Obviously Paul would take a cut of each gig BEFORE paying the musicians. These two entertainers refused to give up any part of their already low negotiated fees to play here.

Guess what? They are no longer being invited by Barbara to play in The Villages.

I say it's a shame that there exists such "conflict of interest".

And please don't say I got this third hand or it's a rumor. I knew and enjoyed the musical groups I heard this from.

So "jandbrare", you are very right. There's a problem here. Barbara gets paid by the entertainment department and her husband gets paid by the entertainment.

Skip
Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM

Skip, There's an old saying, "There's a fox in the hen house."

Some responses to this thread imply/presume I resent the Owner. Not true. And, I've lived in TV for 10 years and don't regret a minute.

But, this situation with Paul Vesco, just ain't right!
Old 12-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-19-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleMN View Post
Is the Caribbean Chillers full band ever there any more? Probably the best group I have ever heard in The Villages.
i'm with you! i'd love to see them just 25% of the time that a vesco entertainer is presented!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Veteran member

I said many months ago that Clark Barios and his various bands were "overexposed" in the Villages.He of course is affiliated with the Vescos.I was told off,ridiculed,and told to stay home if I didn't like the music. I pointed out that these bands were talented and I enjoyed them.However I enjoy steak too but I don't want it every night.If anyone wants to put me down for my thoughts,I heard it all six months ago.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatherer47 View Post
I said many months ago that Clark Barios and his various bands were "overexposed" in the Villages.He of course is affiliated with the Vescos.I was told off,ridiculed,and told to stay home if I didn't like the music. I pointed out that these bands were talented and I enjoyed them.However I enjoy steak too but I don't want it every night.If anyone wants to put me down for my thoughts,I heard it all six months ago.
There is an unfortunate tendency for some people on this board to overreact to any criticism of the developer or management of TV. I have seen many people who posted seemingly legitimate concerns, told they should leave, or some such nonsense. Finding fault does not equate to disliking everything about the place folks. Lighten up and enjoy your piece of paradise and have a little empathy for those who don't love it as unconditionaly as you.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.