Monthly electic costs

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Default Monthly electic costs

Hi all!

Ive done a search, but I really couldn't find exactly what I need to know. I'm looking for an average cost of electric from those homeowners who live in FL year round. Id love to know both your sq footage or home/villa type.

I am trying to compare the cost of living here in NY to the cost of living in TV.
Our oil bill is now $325/mo and our electric is $60/mo. not to mention gas too)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume the homes there are 100% electric.
(air conditioning/hot water/cooking/clothes dryers...heat?? Do you ever use heat?)

Thanks for your help.
Dee
Old 06-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Default Re: Monthly electic costs

Dee

I have a 1392 sq ft 3 bedroom Amerillo and my Gas bill is $50.00 per month. Electric is 80.00 in winter and 125 in summer. House is kept at 74 degrees in summer. Very little heat in winter. maybe a week all told
Most of house are set up for gas cooking and heat. every thing else is electric. I live here year round

drd
Old 06-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Sage

Dee,

I have a 2,000 sq ft block designer with gas for heating, cooking, dryer, and HWH. I summed up my elec and gas bill for the past year and divided by 12...came out to an average of just about $110/month.

Heat....maybe 14 days last winter; A/C from mid May to mid Oct...thermostat set at 78.

Not much cooking ;D

My highest elec bill in the summer last year was $132; highest gas bill about $70; I haven't really been tracking the cost per KW or therm to see how much the rates have increased in the past year, but, the cost is still pretty reasonable.

Compared to heating costs in the cold North, this is a piece of cake.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleweyz39
Hi all!

Ive done a search, but I really couldn't find exactly what I need to know. I'm looking for an average cost of electric from those homeowners who live in FL year round. Id love to know both your sq footage or home/villa type.

I am trying to compare the cost of living here in NY to the cost of living in TV.
Our oil bill is now $325/mo and our electric is $60/mo. not to mention gas too)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume the homes there are 100% electric.
(air conditioning/hot water/cooking/clothes dryers...heat?? Do you ever use heat?) You must be doing something wright i also live in LONG ISLAND and my Electric biil is more then double of yours

Thanks for your help.
Dee
FT BENJAMIN HARRISON
FT LEE
TAIWAN
QUI NHON VIETNAM 66-67
Old 06-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Platinum member

My block/stucco Gardenia, with gas and electric, has run me about $1,900 in the past year, or roughly $158 a month. It's too bad, however, that neither the gas company (TECO) nor the electric company (SECO) seem to offer "budget billing," which made life a lot easier "up north."

I try to keep my house between 75 and 78 degrees. Before The Cat died two weeks ago, I admit to "cooling the outside" because I'd leave the lanai slider cracked open so he could go in and out. I like to think that this didn't have too significant an impact on my bill, however.

I use my gas stove every day, but since I'm only me, it doesn't get too much of a workout!

SWR
Old 06-06-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdodge
Dee

I have a 1392 sq ft 3 bedroom Amerillo and my Gas bill is $50.00 per month. Electric is 80.00 in winter and 125 in summer. House is kept at 74 degrees in summer. Very little heat in winter. maybe a week all told
Most of house are set up for gas cooking and heat. every thing else is electric. I live here year round

drd
My place is just like yours but older model and alittle larger around 1500 sq ft. My bills are the same as yours.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 PM

Hi I have a Large home 2,700 sq ft. Electric runs about 190 a month. Last month was 175.
As a general rule homes around spanish springs are electric new homes have both gas and electric.

It really depends on the home you buy CB construction is always cheaper.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:10 AM
Gold member

I always thought that CBS construction was more expensive than vinyl siding, not cheaper. Hmmm.... We bought a resale, so I have no basis for comparison. BTW, those homes in TV that were built with natural gas use it not only for heating (definitely infrequent) and cooking but also for the clothes dryer and making hot water. Can't offer much of a clue on bills as we haven't been there a full year and we're snowbirds. For the two full months that we did spend in TV, our bills were very reasonable, though I don't have them in front of me to be specific. Not much help, I guess....
Old 06-07-2008, 12:26 PM

Concrete block/stucco cost more. You can compare on the web site or the newspaper insert. The materials to build cb cost more. They (CB)are suppose to be more energy efficient but I have lived in both and not really sure I found too much of a difference.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I don't think there's much difference in electric in a vinyl vs CBS.
The vinyl does not heat up like the CBS does, vinyl does not conduct heat very much.
However, the thickness of the CBS seems to me would add some insulating value.
I'd call it basically a wash unless there's something showing different.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.