Paying Bills When Snowbirding

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2017, 09:28 PM

I bought a box of checks many years ago when we got married and still have a book or two in the box not used (and stamps are to mail birthday and Christmas cards). Online bill pay is so much easier.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Platinum member

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 10-12-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:22 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

We write very few checks, most all payments through bank bill pay. We receive bill notices from either bank and/or company. This has worked very well for us. We had a real problem receiving forwarded bills when we were snowbirds. As a note, we are still on our old Maryland neighborhood email mailing list. Our old neighbors are having a problem receiving their mail at their residences. Several have been hit with late payment charges. We believe electronic bill pay and email notices are a much safer way to go.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:25 AM
Gold member

No Paper bills.... Push or Pull is the only way to go!
Old 08-02-2017, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Another problem with writing checks is that your names, address, and checking account number are out there for all to see.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

I am closing on a home in TV in less than four weeks. I'm still trying to sell my place up north so I won't be living in TV for a while. Can somebody explain what the difference is between push and pull payments.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Sage

use credit cards and ach for all recurring payments, have all credit cards payed automaticly from your bank accounts and or brokerage accounts--so far I've gotten close to $1500.00-cash back (since Jan 1)by using several credit cards for dining, buying gas, travel, etc-===and its tax free
Old 08-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I am closing on a home in TV in less than four weeks. I'm still trying to sell my place up north so I won't be living in TV for a while. Can somebody explain what the difference is between push and pull payments.
Terms as used by the original poster (OP) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyOfLife View Post
... or have you opted to Push payments (electronic you control) or let the service provider Pull payments (electronic they control), or a mix of both? ...
A "push" payment is where you are signing in to an online banking system and scheduling a payment to a payee, in the amount you choose, to be paid when you choose. It requires thought and action on your part.

A "pull" payment is where you are authorizing a payee to go into your bank account and take what they think you owe, when they think you owe it. You give control to the payee.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Terms as used by the original poster (OP) ...

A "push" payment is where you are signing in to an online banking system and scheduling a payment to a payee, in the amount you choose, to be paid when you choose. It requires thought and action on your part.

A "pull" payment is where you are authorizing a payee to go into your bank account and take what they think you owe, when they think you owe it. You give control to the payee.
Thank you. Now I understand... I prefer to use push payments from my credit card when possible.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Default Automatic payments work best for travelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathrynsews View Post
Exactly what we do, not only when we are away from TV, but always. We also get nearly all our bills electronically. Very simple.
I pay all my bills automatically through my credit cards. That way, it doesn't matter whether I am in The Villages, Ohio or elsewhere in the world. Then my credit cards are paid automatically through my checking account. That way I get air miles on 2 credit cards. My Delta round trip from Ohio to Michigan cost me $11.20. Yes, 11 dollars and 20 cents. Flights to Florida also are minimal costs. Plus, going online to the 2 credit cards means they do my recordkeeping for me. But, to each at his own comfort level.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Sage

Do what mountaineer and I do--its free worry free $$$--if you pay with cash for every day purchases and recurring bills, you're throwing $$$ away
Old 08-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran member

There is one vendor I will not give access to checking or credit accts is Comcast when I used them. Every month a new charge that had to be disputed. All others, utilities etc either auto debit, credit cards I would adjudicate first.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Sage

when you use a credit card you've got 1000 lb gorilla in your corner to dispute a charge, service, etc. also you've got additional warranty backing
Closed Thread

Tags
bills, paying, snowbirding, control, electronic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.