Paying to Use Florida's Beaches

Old 05-23-2024, 07:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,569 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Not going to the beach much here in Florida, except to entertain visitors.

I'm not surprised by parking fees which I get considering the value of beach front property.

But why a charge to use a public beach in Florida?
Aren't beaches public land?
Is the charge used to clean-up after the public pigs?
Do condo associations and Retail businesses pay for the cleanup?

Just surprised I guess
What beach? This post is vague
Old 05-23-2024, 07:29 AM

I haven't seen the OP respond as to what beach charged, but I've never been charged to walk onto a Florida public beach.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:43 AM
Gold member

There is no beach in the State that charges a walk in/access fee. Parking....yes.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Don’t know what to tell you! I guess pay what they ask or don’t swim on their beach. Never heard of anyone or Hotel or business owning a body of ocean. Nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:56 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,351 Times in 561 Posts

The Beach I’m most familiar with is Cocoa Beach which has many areas of access to the beach that are walk on free. However, parking your car in a beach park during a special event or driving your car onto the beach like at Daytona or New Smyrna there are fees. Parking your car at a beachside hotel is prohibited unless you are staying there. There is free parking near the access areas but during busy times they fill up. Like most things there is free and not so free.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
You need to buy a “beach tag” to go to many beaches in New Jersey, the towns sell them.

The proceeds are used to pay for lifeguards, beach cleaning, beach grooming.
There are kids who patrol the beach every day asking for your beach tag (and don’t worry, the police are close buy if you obstruct them).
And this relates to Florida beaches in what way?
Old 05-23-2024, 09:25 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,351 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:

I'm not surprised by parking fees which I get considering the value of beach front property.

Just surprised I guess
There is absolutely free access to Florida beaches and free parking definitely if you get there early and ,if not early, you spend a bit of time looking and willing to walk a block or two.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:36 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgowan13 View Post
Wait.What? They charge for beach access?

Florida Statue guarantees you access 1) “Access” or “public access” as used in ss. 161.041, 161.052, and 161.053 means the public’s right to laterally traverse the sandy beaches of this state where such access exists on or after July 1, 1987, or where the public has established an accessway through private lands to lands seaward of the mean high tide or water line by prescription, prescriptive easement, or any other legal means, development or construction shall not interfere with such right of public access unless a comparable alternative accessway is provided.

Is it a State or County Park that is charging you? At Daytona and New Smyrna we have never been charged to walk onto the beach--only fees to park our car away from the beach. I understand having to pay to park on private property near the beach (market rate) and modest fees for state or county parks to pay for lifeguards, beach grooming and trash control.

Are they charging access for you to walk onto a public beach?

The country/state parks I have been to charge less than $4 entry.

What beach is charging you--I'll put in on my no-go list. Too many others do not charge.
Excellent reply ! I too did a "double take" when I read this. Made me wonder, is this from a person new to Florida ? Florida native here, so we've always used public beaches so no fees and no parking charges. However, after moving "north" (lol!) to retire, we do (once in awhile) go to Jetty beach and pay the county fee, and occasionally go over to Honeymoon on the Gulf and pay the state park fee. However we go to the beach at least 4 times a month, sometimes more. 90% of the time we just go to one of the MANY free access public beaches, after all, it's more difficult to find a Florida beach with an entrance FEE than it is to find a fee beach, LOL !

Seems a "tempest in a tea pot" to me, but perhaps, I misunderstand the post ? Even at beaches like Jetty and Honeymoon, would such a small fee really make a individual not enjoy 6-8 hours of beach time ? Maybe so ?

Last edited by Pairadocs; 05-23-2024 at 09:48 AM. Reason: omission
Old 05-23-2024, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:

Just surprised I guess
That would NOT happen along the ocean beach in the state of Oregon. Because 1/2 mile from the waters edge is owned by the citizens of the state of Oregon. Any little cities nearby provide parking free of charge. The city of Gearhart, Or. even provided a couple of tennis courts and parking within walking distance of the Ocean. You contrast that with Florida where bars and restaurants are built almost to the waters edge and Hotels BLOCK citizens access to what should be THEIR BEACH! Different states with different attitudes about who deserves to use their beaches.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:21 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,568 Times in 429 Posts

Since the OP never answered the question of which beaches charge admission (not parking) fees, it pretty much puts the whole post in question.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
That would NOT happen along the ocean beach in the state of Oregon. Because 1/2 mile from the waters edge is owned by the citizens of the state of Oregon. Any little cities nearby provide parking free of charge. The city of Gearhart, Or. even provided a couple of tennis courts and parking within walking distance of the Ocean. You contrast that with Florida where bars and restaurants are built almost to the waters edge and Hotels BLOCK citizens access to what should be THEIR BEACH! Different states with different attitudes about who deserves to use their beaches.
Not true. A casual drive along the Oregon coast would disprove the 1/2-mile claim. 1000's of residences and businesses are within a stone's throw of the Pacific.

I have access to current assessor land records and maps for every parcel in the US. I just looked at all the parcels in Gearhart that border on the Pacific. 80% of them are privately owned and their western boundaries look like they are at the ocean's high-water mark.

Elsewhere on the Oregon coast some private parcels extend 100m or more into the Pacific. Some end at the high-water mark. Some end 100-200m or more inland and the State or other public agency owns the beach areas. It varies. Pretty much like most other states, including Florida.
Old 05-24-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
That would NOT happen along the ocean beach in the state of Oregon. Because 1/2 mile from the waters edge is owned by the citizens of the state of Oregon.
I believe you...just curious...what is the water temperature off the coast of Oregon? LOL

Just poking fun---I grew up in NH and the average water temperature is 68°. Good news is--there was *always* room on the beach and in the water. Wetsuits were as common as bathing suite.

They never charged for beach access either--they were glad to have people there to spend money in the shops and restaurants.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgowan13 View Post
I believe you...just curious...what is the water temperature off the coast of Oregon? LOL

Just poking fun---I grew up in NH and the average water temperature is 68°. Good news is--there was *always* room on the beach and in the water. Wetsuits were as common as bathing suite.

They never charged for beach access either--they were glad to have people there to spend money in the shops and restaurants.
If that's Hampton Beach, lots of money spent on that boulevard

Tags
public, beach, charge, surprised, florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.